Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Nest 2.0 - $199.99, Ecobee3 - 249.99 (no tax at Lowes)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2015 10:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
ipse wrote: I guess the humor was too subtle. And was lost on you....nvm then
it wasn't subtle. It just wasn't good.
Nov 19, 2007
357 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa
I would highly recommend buying the Ecobee3 vs. the Nest 2.0 or 3.0.

Much better customer support, mobile app works 100x better, has multiple sensors to detect temperature in different rooms in your home, Homekit Enabled, etc etc... List goes on and on.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
New home owner here, where's a good place to buy the Ecobee3
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
duckdown wrote: New home owner here, where's a good place to buy the Ecobee3
Looks like HomeDepot, Best Buy and their webstore sells it all at the same price. 249.99.
chaccaracca wrote: I would highly recommend buying the Ecobee3 vs. the Nest 2.0 or 3.0.

Much better customer support, mobile app works 100x better, has multiple sensors to detect temperature in different rooms in your home, Homekit Enabled, etc etc... List goes on and on.
So you are saying I should spend $50 more to get the Ecobee? I don't have an iPhone. Will that make a difference? Also, the Nest appears to work with my Hue?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
taro-chan wrote:
So you are saying I should spend $50 more to get the Ecobee? I don't have an iPhone. Will that make a difference? Also, the Nest appears to work with my Hue?
+1. Query, does the Ecobee 3 communicate with the furnace? I think people mainly don't like the Nest primarily due to the fact, its owned by Google.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1889 posts
1891 upvotes
Guelph
Slawek wrote: Keep an eye on kijiji for older generation models. I got my 2nd gen not too long ago for $40 from a local guy
$40? Are you kidding? Thats unreal... I'd buy a gen 1 for double that if I found one. Nice score.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
Slawek wrote: Keep an eye on kijiji for older generation models. I got my 2nd gen not too long ago for $40 from a local guy
Wow. Unbeliebe deal.

How do you know it wasn't broken before buying it
hated on but respected.
Nov 19, 2007
357 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa
taro-chan wrote: Looks like HomeDepot, Best Buy and their webstore sells it all at the same price. 249.99.
I ordered mine from Bestbuy, but you can order from anywhere that sells them. They are all $249 for the Homekit enabled version. The best price is directly from Ecobee.ca as you can buy the kit with two extra temperature sensors and save $15. All places offer free shipping (except for Home Depot).
Having owned the Nest Gen2 for a little over a year, and now having owned the Ecobee3 for 1 month, I have noticed how much better the thermostat itself works in terms of ease of use and settings. You don't need an iPhone to use the mobile app. They offer one for a desktop computer, android, iOS, etc... The best one is used on an iPad or a desktop as that offers the most functions and access to your heating/cooling history and graphs. I always found the Nest hard to program in terms of schedules and I hated that I had to walk down a hallway that I never used in order for the Nest to see that I was home. With the Ecobee3, and I have three remote sensors, no matter where I walk in my home, it detects that I am home and sets the status on my thermostat correctly. I also use only the sensors in the bedroom at night time so that it cools the bedrooms properly at night. During the day, I use the sensor that cools down the quickest so that I am not over cooling our home while we are at work. During the evening, I use the sensor in my family room to keep us cool while we eat dinner and relax until it is time for bed.

I could go on and on about the pros and cons of both thermostats, but I do really recommend spending the extra $50 and I don't think you will be disappointed. I have nothing against Nest as a company, I do own 3 of the Nest Protect (Gen2) and love them. They just didn't cut it for me in the smart thermostat category.

To each his/her own, but that's just my 3 cents.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4175 posts
1483 upvotes
Calgary
I have Nest Gen 2. Do you guys know if the ecobee sensors can work with Philips Hue? I want it to turn on the lights when it senses someone walking in the area.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4879 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
yao416 wrote: Wow. Unbeliebe deal.

How do you know it wasn't broken before buying it
I didn't, in fact it was damaged. The circuit board was fried and the unit had significant "ring grind" where the turn wheel would stick at some points.

A quick call to Nest resolved it, under warranty they replaced the entire unit for free, both the board and unit, with the latest gen circuit board too. Fantastic customer service considering I bought it second hand (they knew this and didn't care)
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FireHawk2k wrote: I think it's supposed to program itself? It learns the times and days of the week that you turn it off and on, and what temperatures. Then after a few weeks it's able to do it for you. Of course you can override it, and the app interface makes it way easier to program and re-program too. Rather than using a clunky on-wall interface.

Things like using the phone app to pre-heat/cool the house as you're driving home make it convenient.

This is probably true of all wifi thermostats like honeywell lyric or ecobee, but I don't have experience with those.
Nest isn't great if you don't go in that area often as t won't pick up you're home. At least with Ecobee I can put a remote sensor where I walk around a lot or in the office so it will recognise I am home. The learning function about Nest doesn't work that great either I find. Love my Ecobee though.
Banned
Aug 23, 2015
51 posts
6 upvotes
Vimont, QC
The nest 1st gen in my last home worked perfectly for the 4 years, and so far the new one has been flawless as well.
5 stars recommend product.
May 6, 2004
462 posts
70 upvotes
on the fence about the Nest - but work from home mostly (at least 4 days out of 5). wonder if there will be real energy savings...
Nov 19, 2007
357 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa
lilguy wrote: on the fence about the Nest - but work from home mostly (at least 4 days out of 5). wonder if there will be real energy savings...
I doubt you will see any savings! The only reason I have a smart thermostat is because they are another gadget to add to my smart home. Just like my Nest Protects don't save me anything on my monthly bills... but they are pretty neat. I love the night light feature and being able to check that there is no carbon monoxide in my house while I am at work is nice peace of mind.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
4151 posts
838 upvotes
How are the Ecobee sensors powered? Batteries I'm guessing?
RFD'er since 2007 😎
Mar 5, 2011
24 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
foodyforlife wrote: Nest isn't great if you don't go in that area often as t won't pick up you're home. At least with Ecobee I can put a remote sensor where I walk around a lot or in the office so it will recognise I am home. The learning function about Nest doesn't work that great either I find. Love my Ecobee though.
FYI - If you have any of the nest protect smoke/CO detectors, they will act as remote sensors and let the nest thermostat know you are home. They all work together.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1598 posts
1609 upvotes
Orleans, ON
A lot of people are going to be disappointed when their energy bill only goes down a few bucks instead of 23% like many sites claim.

My bill is roughly $70/month and i originally thought I could save about $15/month but in reality, 60% of my bill is made up of fees that are not usage-related. Things like a delivery fee for simply being able to use electricity. You can only save on the part of your bill that is usage-related, since the rest is a set fee you occur every month regardless of how much electricity you use.

Turns out I could save about $6/month (over 3 years to pay it self off) as opposed to $15/month (Under 1.5 years to pay itself off).

I will likely get one anyways, because I'm lazy and it looks cool - but I warn those who expect huge savings.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)