Expired Hot Deals

[Bestbuy Canada] Bestbuy.ca - Dell S2716DG, 27 inch TN panel, 2560x1440, 144HZ, G-Sync, $449.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2018 7:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1680 posts
128 upvotes

Bestbuy.ca - Dell S2716DG, 27 inch TN panel, 2560x1440, 144HZ, G-Sync, $449.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
November 29, 2018
Retailer:
Bestbuy Canada
I believe this is the cheapest price right now on a monitor that I personally like a lot.

27 inch, G-Sync, 1440P, 1MS, 144HZ. $450... oh and made by pretty much the top monitor vendor (though I hate Dell for everything else).

And it has 4x USB 3.0 ports, which is nice.

--

It's also available from Dell.ca for $549.99 10%offmonitor coupon for $494.99, and 10% Ebates does make it slightly better than this deal... but you can just walk in and pick this up right now. Woops it's actually quite close, within a buck or two, depending on how the EHF affects the final tally. Yeah get it from BB.

--

I know some people have received bum units or care about off angle viewing for a gaming panel where you sit directly in front of it or whatever.

When it comes to overall PQ, all 3 major types have their pluses and minuses. Plenty of people say that IPS is significantly better (I don't agree from first hand experience) well the next closest option costs a lot more than $450.

And we all know the same model may vary in image quality, but start with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... l_s2716dg/

Then adjust your in game settings to your liking.

In addition, using G-Sync 'properly' isn't as simple as enabling it, try to follow these instructions to really enjoy your tear free, buttery smooth experience with this and other G-Sync monitors:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... _properly/

--
Last edited by scratchieepants on Nov 23rd, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7770 posts
3247 upvotes
MVRD
scratchieepants wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:22 pm
I believe this is the cheapest price right now on a monitor that I personally like a lot.

I know some people have received bum units or care about off angle viewing for a gaming panel where you sit directly in front of it or whatever.

When it comes to overall PQ, all 3 major types have their pluses and minuses. Plenty of people say that IPS is significantly better (I don't from first hand experience) well the next closest option costs a lot more than $450.

And we all know the same model may vary in image quality, but start with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... l_s2716dg/

then adjust your in game settings to your liking.

But 27 inch, G-Sync, 1440P, 1MS, 144HZ. $450... oh and made by pretty much the top monitor vendor (though I hate Dell for everything else).

And it has 4x USB 3.0 ports, which is nice.
Me, too. But they're mostly good in the display department (e.g. their early 4k displays were really crap).
Dec 1, 2012
93 posts
393 upvotes
Awesome monitor for games. My 24 inch has terrible color banding though. So much so that I have to be careful choosing wallpapers because the monitor looks quite cheap with some colorful ones. I also get some flickering from Gsync in windowed applications when the driver is isn't set for fullscreen Gsync only.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1220 posts
275 upvotes
Barrie
Raisinlove wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:45 pm
Awesome monitor for games. My 24 inch has terrible color banding though. So much so that I have to be careful choosing wallpapers because the monitor looks quite cheap with some colorful ones. I also get some flickering from Gsync in windowed applications when the driver is isn't set for fullscreen Gsync only.
Color banding as far as I can tell was more of an issue with their 24" version of this model and also seems to have been improved with later versions.

I've been using the 27" for a few months and really enjoy it. Honestly didn't think 144hz would make as big of a difference in FPS games as it does.
May 13, 2015
269 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
so tempted to buy this. i'm gaming on a 60hz 4k monitor right now. but my cpu+graphics card isn't that great anymore... so I'm not getting too much above 60pfs on battlefield V right now (during heavy action, it falls quite a bit below 60fps), so I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of the 144hz right now... nor am I able to run it above 1080p. Probably need a better computer to really utilize this monitor properly.
Jun 29, 2010
50 posts
32 upvotes
toronto
Picked this up 2 days ago. A couple of tips and extra info for people on the fence. I believe Best buy only carry the A09 revision so that's a good thing as it is the latest revision nad have less color banding issues.

The display itself is amazing. Build quality is solid and the bezels are super thin. Viewing angle and out of box color accuracy are the downsides. As it is a TN panel your viewing angle is somewhat limited. The color on the other hand can be calibrated to your liking. Mine had a warmer yellow tint out of the box which was remedied by turning down red and green. Some osd settings to be aware of are the deep sleep option which is on by default as an energy saving feature but it messed with the monitor turning on sometimes, so you can turn that off if your monitor is not waking properly. There is also an osd setting regarding response time. There are two options normal and fast. It's default on normal, and for a good reason, selecting fast causes severe ghosting.

I upgraded from an Asus vg248qe and I enjoy this Dell very much.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1265 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like S2716DG is still available.
I thought it was a great deal so I got one but didn't open it yet.
Probably is too niche market item.

Maybe they will have even bigger sale on this item during Boxing day to push these items out.
Oct 15, 2018
88 posts
22 upvotes
i have this monitor for 2 years. it is great but i found dead pix on the left buttom
May 31, 2017
18 posts
6 upvotes
Just got it, impressive for a TN panel. If this is how they make TN panels these days, it's actually worth looking at them.

Colours are not the best, but still look good when you tweak them. This is a gaming beast. It does 144hz, 1ms, gsync, one of the better ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1680 posts
128 upvotes
Hiredgoon416 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 7:05 am
Just got it, impressive for a TN panel. If this is how they make TN panels these days, it's actually worth looking at them.

Colours are not the best, but still look good when you tweak them. This is a gaming beast. It does 144hz, 1ms, gsync, one of the better ones.
Not sure who makes the panels in this model. But the late 2017 and beyond 25 inch (not the same of course, just a point on new TN panels) TN panels from AOC that are in the 240HZ displays have astounding (relatively speaking) colour quality now. Of course I just sold my 240hz 25 inch 1080p Alienware monitor because it's just a bit small and low res for my liking. Colour quality is amazing.

The next gen replacement to the S2716DG class monitors are coming in 2019. 27 inch, 1440p, 240HZ, 1ms, G-Sync and Free-Sync options, base panels from AOC. But they're not going to be $449 on sale in Canada at launch, they'll probably exist as premiums over the current 144-165Hz models.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1265 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
scratchieepants wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 3:08 pm
Not sure who makes the panels in this model. But the late 2017 and beyond 25 inch (not the same of course, just a point on new TN panels) TN panels from AOC that are in the 240HZ displays have astounding (relatively speaking) colour quality now. Of course I just sold my 240hz 25 inch 1080p Alienware monitor because it's just a bit small and low res for my liking. Colour quality is amazing.

The next gen replacement to the S2716DG class monitors are coming in 2019. 27 inch, 1440p, 240HZ, 1ms, G-Sync and Free-Sync options, base panels from AOC. But they're not going to be $449 on sale in Canada at launch, they'll probably exist as premiums over the current 144-165Hz models.
Dang. Should've waited for new version or old version at even deeper discount.
Too bad I opened and did all the setup yesterday.
Apr 18, 2011
317 posts
103 upvotes
Red Deer
Great monitor....but make sure to adjust your nvidia settings - specially gamma and the key one is *digital vibrance*. It can look a little washed out (as with most TN panels). But with some tweaking of the digital vibrance, it can look glorious. For reference - I use a digital vibrance of 68. I found that looks closest to my old IPS panel...maybe even better. Adjust to whatever gamma suits your preference/room
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1680 posts
128 upvotes
last_sd wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 4:31 pm
Dang. Should've waited for new version or old version at even deeper discount.
Too bad I opened and did all the setup yesterday.
Don't worry, enjoy it. I sure will. It's expected that this will be the mid range performer, and the upcoming 1440p / 240HZ will sit above. There's no real expectation that this model is going away.
Feb 20, 2005
34 posts
16 upvotes
This is still going for $499 right now. I am debating on picking one up. I have seen a few people mention the color and being able to tweak it in the nvidia settings, however someone said that if you play "fullscreen" these settings are ignored and the colors remain washed out. Forcing you to use window or full screen window to keep the adjustments. Can anyone confirm this?