Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Philips 40" 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor - $899.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2015 3:08 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes

[Best Buy] Philips 40" 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor - $899.99

I was looking up lot of reviews on 4k monitors, I bought the 28inch 4k but found the monitor too small for 4k so I just ordered this after all reviews.

Reviews:
1. http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-p ... h-monitor/
2. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/phi ... 4065uc.htm
3. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/343 ... or-review/
4. http://www.pcgamer.com/philips-bdm4065u ... or-review/

Amazon US has it for 799.99 USD
Images
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, this is like a good alternative for the Seiki, Crossover and Wasabi Mango versions. Currently, the WMUHD420, Crossover 404/434/494 are $899+ US.

Keep us up-to-date if the monitor runs 4k @ 60Hz using DP. As well, as your impressions for gaming FPS (if you game at all).
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
Ironsmack wrote: Wow, this is like a good alternative for the Seiki, Crossover and Wasabi Mango versions. Currently, the WMUHD420, Crossover 404/434/494 are $899+ US.

Keep us up-to-date if the monitor runs 4k @ 60Hz using DP. As well, as your impressions for gaming FPS (if you game at all).
Yeah I know those korean panels cost the same after duty so no point getting from there and if u get any dead pixel, bestbuy will take it back gladly which is not the case from ebay.
Of course I will update this post with my review on it, this monitor runs 60hz off display port cable 1.2. I game a lot so will give the review on it, I also have str-dn850 which I am gonna use for upscaling ps4 n xbox one 1080p content to 4K since the upscaler on this monitor is close to non existent. Also I have a gaming pc so will go over that as well. Really excited!

This monitor also does chroma 4:4:4 if you are familiar with it unlike tvs which do 4:2:0 which gives blurry text n all. I was leaning towards the Vizio M43 4k tv but it does chroma 4:2:0 so no point buying that!

I am currently running korean x star dp2710 and hp 25bw which worked flawlessly for last two years but gonna sell em now. I also use my W1070 projector for watching movies on a big screen as well as playing screen so thought if i am gonna buy a new monitor, it has to be 4k.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
Damn it does look good. Showing those 3d apps I use makes my 30" lcd monitors so little. At least I have 2 :)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, looks good, makes me want to upgrade from the Dell 27" 4k monitor I have.
Jul 20, 2008
217 posts
70 upvotes
Waterloo
Using that monitor right now. Paid 1k for it and would do it again.

Keep in mind it's VA (both pro's and con's), it will have an image defect when using high contrast boxes and is pretty widely complained about:

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/michael ... a.jpg.html

If you can ignore it, it's a great monitor. Keep in mind, HDMI 1.4 Only, so 30hz @ 4k, plan on using the display port. Speakers aren't aweful, usb 3.0 Hub on the back is super handy, vesa mounting to the wall is a must if you want any kind of adjustibility.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
blkrx7 wrote: Using that monitor right now. Paid 1k for it and would do it again.

Keep in mind it's VA (both pro's and con's), it will have an image defect when using high contrast boxes and is pretty widely complained about:

If you can ignore it, it's a great monitor. Keep in mind, HDMI 1.4 Only, so 30hz @ 4k, plan on using the display port. Speakers aren't aweful, usb 3.0 Hub on the back is super handy, vesa mounting to the wall is a must if you want any kind of adjustibility.
I have read about that contrast box issue before and this image confirms it. I am gonna wait till monitor arrives and use it for couple days n see if I like it else I will be returning it.

Thanks for the feedback, Have you tried console gaming on it, does it look worse or same as playing on 1080p screen? Yes I will be using display port 1.2 and got proper 5.1 home theater system (polks n all)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2175 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
blkrx7 wrote: Using that monitor right now. Paid 1k for it and would do it again.

Okay, so it has image retention?

Does it go away after awhile using it?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
Ironsmack wrote: Okay, so it has image retention?

Does it go away after awhile using it?
thats not image retention, its more like having white window on dark background screen, above and below the white screen there is this high contrast box which moves as you move the white window.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1553 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Do you need a super powerful video card to drive this monster!?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
hOrnizuka wrote: Do you need a super powerful video card to drive this monster!?
well any card above nvidia 6xx series has display port 1.2 which should be able to drive it at 4k 60Hz, it does support 4k over the hdmi 1.4 port but only at 30hz. For gaming at 4K(60fps at ultra settings) you will need a high end card, I am waiting for next year pascal graphic cards from nvidia as its supposed to be a big jump from the existing 9xx series and will be made for 4k.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
After checking this monitor out online, it seems like there are a lot of other 40+ inch 4K monitors like seiki, crossover, wasabi, some of which are using IPS, which is pretty good too IMO. Particularly wasabi looks good.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: Read above, if you drop 1k on eBay and you get a dead pixel you're out of luck pretty much. That would blow.

I'd gladly pay a little more for the guarantee of perfection and ease of return/warranty claims.
Exactly!
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
hOrnizuka wrote: Do you need a super powerful video card to drive this monster!?
I don't understand your thinking.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1805 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote: Why does every peasant think that the bigger the monitor is, the more powerful the gfx card needs to be?
its not the size of the monitor that requires strong graphics but the 4k settings that require strong graphic card to keep up the details and performance to smooth out playing games.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2012
1015 posts
118 upvotes
MONTR
CoolDudeClan wrote: Read above, if you drop 1k on eBay and you get a dead pixel you're out of luck pretty much. That would blow.

I'd gladly pay a little more for the guarantee of perfection and ease of return/warranty claims.
Wasabi is not 1k and not ebay but I read that in some other sites they offer pixel perfect version. Also IPS vs VA. IMO IPS is better for pro work, with some gaming on top.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
indca wrote: its not the size of the monitor that requires strong graphics but the 4k settings that require strong graphic card to keep up the details and performance to smooth out playing games.
it's not just games, desktop applications and performance intensive stuff like Flash/HTML5 videos suffer immensely in 4K, getting worse with the more tabs/windows you have open if you don't have a powerful computer.
Jul 20, 2008
217 posts
70 upvotes
Waterloo
ManCaveGamer wrote: it's not just games, desktop applications and performance intensive stuff like Flash/HTML5 videos suffer immensely in 4K, getting worse with the more tabs/windows you have open if you don't have a powerful computer.
Haven't had any issues with flash based video, Youtube, Excel or Word etc running on an old school HD3000 integrated card. Potentially moving large images around on the display in Photoshop might start to tax it and cause stutters while dragging, but 2D work sure seems pretty low effort. Number of tabs has no effect on display performance outside of generally slowing the machine down (which happens no matter what the resolution is).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)