Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6203 posts
1054 upvotes

Bestbuy Reward Zone

I joined BestBuy's reward program back in Dec (or was it early jan).
Anyway, I made many purchases since then.
I decided to check out how many pts I had and when these $5 rewards would arrive.
I tried to log into their site and my card wouldn't work.
I called up Bestbuy rewards and ask about logging in.

Turns out, my reward card was never registered by the Bestbuy employee.

I asked the rep, can't the cashier tell if a card is active or not.
Rep said, he/she (had a high voice but sounded like a little boy) didn't know.

Now I have to find all my receipts and call in after making a new card in order to get the pts.

Maybe everyone should double check to see if their card is activated on the BestBuy Reward system.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
2 upvotes
its a certificate you have to print out
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6203 posts
1054 upvotes
that's if you do it online.

if you apply at the store, the bestbuy employee is supposed to register it or something with the reward zone group...
i'm sure a lot get missed.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1808 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I've gotten $25 in GCs so far through the program..

I think I spend too much at Best Buy.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
Now this wasn't intentional, but I found out a sorta scam involving the RZ coupons.

I used a $5 RZ coupon (expires in ~2 mths from issue date, good in-store only) on a $30 item, thinking I'd use the coupon before forgetting about it. Well, as it turns out I didn't care for the item so I returned it. They can't return the coupon, so they give you a gift card for the coupon value instead - no expiry and use in-store/BB.ca/FS.ca.

*Since it was only a $5 coupon, I assumed it was going to be my loss.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6203 posts
1054 upvotes
peroxide8888 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2008 8:49 am
Now this wasn't intentional, but I found out a sorta scam involving the RZ coupons.

I used a $5 RZ coupon (expires in ~2 mths from issue date, good in-store only) on a $30 item, thinking I'd use the coupon before forgetting about it. Well, as it turns out I didn't care for the item so I returned it. They can't return the coupon, so they give you a gift card for the coupon value instead - no expiry and use in-store/BB.ca/FS.ca.

*Since it was only a $5 coupon, I assumed it was going to be my loss.
Is that a scam or a workaround to keeping what is rightfully yours?
You bought a $30 using a $5 gc.
You're getting your $30 back since you returned the item.

The only difference is the $5 no longer expires.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
canadiankorean wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2008 11:15 am
Is that a scam or a workaround to keeping what is rightfully yours?
You bought a $30 using a $5 gc.
You're getting your $30 back since you returned the item.

The only difference is the $5 no longer expires.
I say "sort of scam" because the RZ coupons are a limited offer kind of thing. I'm sure exchanging the coupon for a gc which doesn't expire (thus removing limits) isn't in the RZ tos.
Jul 15, 2006
785 posts
35 upvotes
GTA, ON
I find Reward Zone almost insulting. You have to spend approximately $400 in order to get $5 off.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2165 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
Shop-a-holic wrote:
May 4th, 2008 8:36 pm
I find Reward Zone almost insulting. You have to spend approximately $400 in order to get $5 off.
Sure is, but it's better then nothing.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11384 posts
1617 upvotes
Mississauga
Shop-a-holic wrote:
May 4th, 2008 8:36 pm
Then shop at Future Shop and get the same stuff for the same price with no rewards. No one forced you to join up.

How about getting a double reward by using a credit card that has rewards at BB? Then you'll get points for both. See? Better than nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9179 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
I just joined a few weeks ago.
I think its a great idea. I buy alot of stuff at BB and only being 18.. im just going to access my points 40 years from now and i want to see how many points i accumulate! Great for a midlife crisis gift for myself! :lol:
RFD 39-0-0
Ebay 31-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Jul 15, 2006
785 posts
35 upvotes
GTA, ON
Yes, no one asked me to join and no is forcing me. Hence, I threw the Reward Zone card. It's insulting to have to spend over $400 dollars just to get $5 off.

It's almost as good as nothing. You save more during sales than through Reward Zone.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2857 posts
12 upvotes
typical reward program. Spend lots to get minimal savings. It is unfortunate for the OP that their reward zone card was not actually "registered" but since you'll still get the points if you show them your receipts then its alright.

Just that it's an annoyance and a hassle to have to do so.
Nov 3, 2003
227 posts
3 upvotes
XxXSnake23XxX wrote:
May 4th, 2008 11:52 pm
I just joined a few weeks ago.
I think its a great idea. I buy alot of stuff at BB and only being 18.. im just going to access my points 40 years from now and i want to see how many points i accumulate! Great for a midlife crisis gift for myself! :lol:
Good plan....except for the unfortunate fact that BB automatically converts your points to a reward coupon once you hit 400 points, then the $5 coupon only lasts 2 months or so.

It really means that you have to shop at BB regularly or you lose your points.