Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:21 pm
Exactly my point . I asked several times for this info and I was replied with surprises that I am expecting a vehicle with 502 KM having any kind of record . I was even earlier told that there is no carproof as vehicle was new . Later it was produced when I was adamant on car proof .
I'm not talking about the CarProof.

I'm talking about getting a 'service history' - a history of all the service / repairs that were done on this Pilot at a given Honda dealership. If you plan to buy a used Honda from a Honda dealership, you always ask for a printout of the dealership service history as part of your due diligence ( or at least ...you should ).

You mentioned earlier that the service history on this Pilot indicates ' repairs ' of some sort were done stemming from an accident .

Do you know the nature and extent of the repairs and how much they cost in total ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
76 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm talking about getting a 'service history' - a history of all the service / repairs that were done on this Pilot at a given Honda dealership. If you plan to buy a used Honda from a Honda dealership, you always ask for a printout of the dealership service history as part of your due diligence ( or at least ...you should ).

You mentioned earlier that the service history on this Pilot indicates ' repairs ' of some sort were done stemming from an accident .

Do you know the nature and extent of the repairs and how much they cost in total ?
If I'm interested in purchasing a vehicle from a dealership and ask for this service history, can they refuse my request? What I mean is that anyone can go and get a carproof/carfax/autocheck/etc; this service history - is it specific to the dealership or does it follow the car (assuming it's been dealer maintained throughout ownership)?

If they were to deny this to me, should I walk away from the deal or is there a legitimate reason for them to deny my request (privacy, etc)?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10378 posts
4779 upvotes
Toronto
Starkicker wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:08 pm
If I'm interested in purchasing a vehicle from a dealership and ask for this service history, can they refuse my request? What I mean is that anyone can go and get a carproof/carfax/autocheck/etc; this service history - is it specific to the dealership or does it follow the car (assuming it's been dealer maintained throughout ownership)?

If they were to deny this to me, should I walk away from the deal or is there a legitimate reason for them to deny my request (privacy, etc)?
Tyipcally, you can request service history, which actually line items the reason for service, if the vehicle is being sold from any dealer. IE: I'm interested in a Subaru that is being sold at a Chev dealer. I got the VIN number. If the sales at the Chevy dealer really wants to sell the car, they will get the report for me at my request. Otherwise, I can contact a Subaru dealership to see if there was any records of the car being brought in for service at any Subaru dealership. If the car was never brought to a Subaru dealer, I would be out of luck.

If they say no, offer to pay them for their report. There is no real reason to walk away from this car if everything pans out ok in the carproof. But bring the car to a Subaru dealer to get it inspected. (Using my example of course)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
Starkicker wrote:
If I'm interested in purchasing a vehicle from a dealership and ask for this service history, can they refuse my request?

Sure, I suppose they can, but if they're honest...there is no valid reason not to provide you with a service history based on the VIN# IMO.

As a potential buyer, you always want the opportunity to review the service history whenever possible - i.e to ensure timely & complete maintenance and to potentially flag any ' atypical ' issues.
Starkicker wrote:
What I mean is that anyone can go and get a carproof/carfax/autocheck/etc; this service history - is it specific to the dealership or does it follow the car (assuming it's been dealer maintained throughout ownership)?
Follows the car - based on VIN#.
Starkicker wrote:
If they were to deny this to me, should I walk away from the deal
Assuming I couldn't get it any other way, and or if I knew they had it & they still flat out REFUSED............ I would.......but that's just me.
Starkicker wrote:
or is there a legitimate reason for them to deny my request (privacy, etc)?
Some printouts don't disclose personal info........only show VIN#.

Some do...but in those cases, the personal info can either be cut or easily blacked out
TRAIN HARD !!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1569 posts
320 upvotes
I was given the impression that the car is brand new and I am stupid to ask for any service records ..." What kind of service are you expecting on a car with 500 KM ' were exactly the words of car salesman . He made me look stupid . Truly speaking I could never imagine a foul play . Service records does not show the amount against repairs ..it just have codes and says - what was repaired and its under warranty . There is one repair that says "Paid by customer " which is presumed to be an accident as there is nothing else that customer has to pay for when vehicle is less than a month old and is under warranty .
poedua wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:04 pm

Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:34 pm
I was given the impression that the car is brand new and I am stupid to ask for any service records ..." What kind of service are you expecting on a car with 500 KM ' were exactly the words of car salesman . He made me look stupid . Truly speaking I could never imagine a foul play . Service records does not show the amount against repairs ..it just have codes and says - what was repaired and its under warranty . There is one repair that says "Paid by customer " which is presumed to be an accident as there is nothing else that customer has to pay for when vehicle is less than a month old and is under warranty .
Perhaps it's simply an exclusion item not covered under the warranty - who knows

Regardless, if you don't know the $ amount of the repairs or the nature of the repair, it could be an insignificant repair relatively speaking for an insignificant amount of money hardly worth worrying about - hard to say without all the facts.

For example, maybe it's something as trivial as the previous owner knocked the side mirror off while backing out of a garage ..and needed it fixed. So, a non warranty item, it was an accident, repaired at the dealer. Or maybe a tire needed to be replaced, or a broken head / tail light had to be replaced etc. - all non warranty items.
Just sayin'.
TRAIN HARD !!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1569 posts
320 upvotes
I think you are missing the point. Its not the significance of repairs that turned me off but the facts that dealer tried to hide giving me all BS stories . After having this report in my hand I send him a mail asking if any repairs were carried on vehicle ...You can guess the reply ....
We all can keep guessing why original owner got rid of this vehicle in a month time , whereas Pilot owners tend to keep these vehicles for extended time . Check with Honda dealers and see how many off lease vehicles are turned in .
poedua wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:28 pm
Perhaps it's simply an exclusion item not covered under the warranty - who knows

Regardless, if you don't know the $ amount of the repairs or the nature of the repair, it could be an insignificant repair relatively speaking for an insignificant amount of money hardly worth worrying about - hard to say without all the facts.

For example, maybe it's something as trivial as the previous owner knocked the side mirror off while backing out of a garage ..and needed it fixed. So, a non warranty item, it was an accident, repaired at the dealer.

Just sayin'.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12719 posts
1545 upvotes
Toronto
Braunson wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:25 pm
Nothing pops up on an AutoCheck forthis vin, other than a CDN renewal on 10/01/2012 in Brampton, ON.

ding ding ding!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:51 pm
I think you are missing the point. Its not the significance of repairs that turned me off but the facts that dealer tried to hide giving me all BS stories . After having this report in my hand I send him a mail asking if any repairs were carried on vehicle ...You can guess the reply ....
We all can keep guessing why original owner got rid of this vehicle in a month time , whereas Pilot owners tend to keep these vehicles for extended time . Check with Honda dealers and see how many off lease vehicles are turned in .
I dunno.......won the lottery, got an inheritance and wanted to upgrade or lost his job, got really sick ( stroke ...can't drive ), got a company vehicle with a new job and had to dump the car, got a new job with a lot of driving & needs better fuel economy...he died .... ....could be a bunch of reasons I suppose.....all of which may have nothing to do with the quality of the Pilot.

I guess you just would of needed to confirm some facts ---- i.e were there only $50 in repairs or perhaps $1,500 in repairs ?

In other words, your conjecture about the Pilot being in any accident of any significance may simply be dead wrong.
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
107 upvotes
Kitchener
Why would you consider this POS in the first place ?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1103 posts
252 upvotes
London
Once I inquired about a 3 series but the dealer refused to show me the service history as it's confidential info. True story.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1326 upvotes
1bagger wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 7:26 pm
Why would you consider this POS in the first place ?
Don't think I'd characterize a Pilot with only 500km or so on it as a ' POS' exactly, though the behavior of some of the sales staff certainly seems to leave a lot to be desired..
TRAIN HARD !!!!