Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2012
4 posts
CAMBRIDGE

Beware of Acanac rebilling! the 24.95 is now 37.95

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH ACANAC

An automatic renewal with a fifty percent increase in cost and a speed increase of 20 percent is a substantial difference from my original contract . This is very close to , if not NEGATIVE OPTION BILLING . This practice was deemed illegal in Ontario since 2006 . May be a class action lawsuit with a large refund settlement is in order ? My service was terminated 10 days early for disputing their charges .

If you look at the very top of your contract it states ]

"Below you will find your invoice for your account with Acanac Inc. If you find any problems with the numbers which are listed bellow please call us @ 1-866-281-3538 and we will be glad to correct them for you."

As every one has previously stated this is not true .YOU can not speak with any one about this .Every thing must be done by EMAIL .This makes the above statement UNTRUE .
If this part of the contract is not met or true There is most likely no contract and the contract could be unenforceable as it is in the very first paragraph on the invoice contract

Terminating a contract 10 days early is theft in my opinion .

Be SURE you read this part before agreeing

Billing. All terms are due up front. If you sign up for the lowest rate then you are likely on the 1 year term. You will be billed the entire term up front and then billed
on a yearly basis.All credit cards are billed automatically on there renewal dates. If you do not want to renew your account please cancel the account on or before the
renewal date. Cancellations must be done by e-mail and sent to accounting@acanac.com or billing@acanac.com. Please make sure you obtain the cancellation ID or ticket number for your request to confirm cancellation of service.
10 replies
Mar 17, 2005
329 posts
61 upvotes
You do know that $24.95 is their promotional price for the first year only when you signed the service up? It was clearly marked on their website. Acanac uses the regular price for 2nd year and thereafter. $37.95 was the "new" regular price of 6Mbps DSL service after CRTC's capacity-based billing decision. This 20% speed increase was not related to the promotional to regular price increase, by the way.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1401 posts
182 upvotes
doctortube wrote:
May 8th, 2012 3:28 pm
DO NOT SIGN UP WITH ACANAC

An automatic renewal with a fifty percent increase in cost and a speed increase of 20 percent is a substantial difference from my original contract . This is very close to , if not NEGATIVE OPTION BILLING . This practice was deemed illegal in Ontario since 2006 . May be a class action lawsuit with a large refund settlement is in order ? My service was terminated 10 days early for disputing their charges .

If you look at the very top of your contract it states ]

"Below you will find your invoice for your account with Acanac Inc. If you find any problems with the numbers which are listed bellow please call us @ 1-866-281-3538 and we will be glad to correct them for you."

As every one has previously stated this is not true .
If this part of the contract is not met or true There is most likely no contract and the contract could be unenforceable as it is in the very first paragraph on the invoice contract

Terminating a contract 10 days early is theft in my opinion .

Be SURE you read this part before agreeing

Billing. All terms are due up front. If you sign up for the lowest rate then you are likely on the 1 year term. You will be billed the entire term up front and then billed
on a yearly basis.All credit cards are billed automatically on there renewal dates. If you do not want to renew your account please cancel the account on or before the
renewal date. Cancellations must be done by e-mail and sent to accounting@acanac.com or billing@acanac.com. Please make sure you obtain the cancellation ID or ticket number for your request to confirm cancellation of service.

Give your head a shake.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2012
4 posts
CAMBRIDGE
$37.95 was not the regular price when I signed up at $24.95. $32.95 is the new promo price. Cancelling service 10 days early for disputing charges is a spiteful theft of services .If you stole 10 days of service from them you would be a thief . Theft is theft no matter who commits it .
Mar 17, 2005
329 posts
61 upvotes
For $37.95 or $32.95, you should thank CRTC. And such increase applies to everybody and all 3rd party ISPs. Otherwise you would have been renewed to the old regular price. Actually I would be pleased that Acanac kept the promotional price until the renewal due to the term, while other ISPs increased the monthly price right away.

If you would not want to renew, you should have requested not to renew before the end of the term.

Anyway, currently cable service offers better value for those who really use the Internet a lot.
Nov 14, 2008
496 posts
136 upvotes
shimh wrote:
May 9th, 2012 10:28 am
For $37.95 or $32.95, you should thank CRTC. And such increase applies to every body and all 3rd party ISPs. Otherwise you would have been renewed to the old regular price. Actually I would be pleased that Acanac kept the promotional price until the renewal due to the term, while other ISPs increased the monthly price right away.

If you would not want to renew, you should have requested not to renew before the end of the term.

Anyway, currently cable service offers better value for those who really use the Internet a lot.

this is also why alot of people took the free dry loop for 2 years and free upgrade to 12 mbs in march.

If you didnt it would be $9 monthly dry loop+ $37.95 for 6mbs which no longer makes sense

s previous poster said this was because of bell/crtc and not the fault of acanac
That being said after the end of the 2 years it will be goodbye to acanac for me, hello teksavy if they dont offer anything else.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1294 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Does following new plan, Acanac will cut internet speed to half its original from 7 p.m. to midnight?

I saw for 6Mbps service, from 19:00-00:00 it becomes 3Mbps. For 12Mbps, it becomes 6Mbps from 19:00-00:00.

If signing the new contract will automatically jump to this, I'm seeking something else.
AMEX Platinum Reward card, $699/yr, $200 credit, 75,000 bonus pts with spending $1k in 3 mths
PM for details.
Mar 17, 2005
329 posts
61 upvotes
The speed reduction depends on network load. 50% is the worst case. Right now, according to Paul @ Acanac, the reduction is no where near 50%, about 1Mbps less. There is no speed reduction on cable service as of yet.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1398 posts
76 upvotes
ive been off contract for a few years, quick, someone mention a good competitor for < $35/month.

unlimited, and pref not throttled.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4420 posts
144 upvotes
Mississauga
i'm using 25mb service from bell. $165gb download cap. no contract $32.45 a month
× < >