Shopping Discussion

Beware Canada Computers Sale Bait in Switch in Effect

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2015 8:34 pm
Dec 1, 2015
1 posts

Beware Canada Computers Sale Bait in Switch in Effect

Hi,
Not sure if this is the best forum for this but I thought I'd post a warning here to anyone looking at getting anything from Canada Computers.

I went to two locations last Thursday night to try and get the MSI Geforce 970 they had on sale for 365 (-$20 MIR). It was a door crasher so no surprise it was sold out. But teh sales person pointed me to teh website and showed me to other 970 cards also on sale. So i ordered the EVGA SC 970 for 380 (-20 MIR) and got my order receipt and waited for my call.

Then yesterday (Tuesday) after most of the sales are over or stock is gone I get this e-mail from them:

The part you ordered on 26-Nov-2015 is unfortunately not available:

[1x VCEV002340]
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... 3_1200_559
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked - ACX Cooler 2.0 (04G-P4-2974-KR) | 1165Mhz Clock, 7010Mhz Memory | PCI Express 3.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, Display Port
$95.00 instant rebate available if order placed online on or before 30 Nov 2015

Please noted that all back orders from Black Friday promo can not be honor due rebate restriction offer from vendors. Promo price are based on in-store stocks only.

Please let us know if you would like us to recommend some suitable alternate items we could get for you instead.

--
Online Pickup

Canada Computers, Toronto Down Town 284

I quickly called to ask what they meant and was told they wouldn't be honoring the price because someone at head office allowed it to be ordered when it shouldn't have been and I'd have to call head office.

I've tried calling head office. No one answers the customer service phone number. I called 3 times yesterday at noon 2 and 4 and each time waited for 15 minutes as it rang through, I didn't even get put on hold.

So I tried e-mailing them and got nothing back.

So anyway TLDR Canada Computers is deciding not to honor their own contract and is clearly in violation of bait and switch practices according to the competition bureau. See http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 00522.html
4 replies
Oct 4, 2009
44 posts
17 upvotes
London
I had a similar experience but with an antec case. When I went to the store they told me a different price and because the arrival date was 1 day after the mir purchase window (even though I ordered it within that date) they wouldn't honour it. I left without the case and I will never buy anything from them (and haven't for a long while) but I have used them for price matches elsewhere.. So in reality they did me a big favour. F- computer canada.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
If you get baited just switch to a different retailer...
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I don't think this is real bait and switch... but sorry that you ended up with getting nothing at all.