Shopping Discussion

beware of Canadian tires return policy!!! WORST POLICY EVER!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2010 7:55 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy

beware of Canadian tires return policy!!! WORST POLICY EVER!!!!

They refuse to refund an opened item (GPS car mount) and said exchange only. And to make it worse they said I have to spend the credit right away and can't leave the store until I do WTF? They won't even put the amount on a gift card and that I have to see this specific customer service rep to give me the credit. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?

The item I want they don't have any stock here but the store near my house does. They won't even let me drive down there to get it, but get this "we will have to transfer it for you to this store!". What the hell man? I've never heard such a BS return policy ever!!! I cannot believe this garbage!
Now the stupid lady here is on the phone with head office seeing what they can do. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2265 posts
300 upvotes
Edmonton
Try returning it to another CT store. The return policy mentioned to you is total BS along with use if store credit. Obviously the return clerk does not know what she is doing.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Manager just got off the phone and said she can't make any exceptions cause I have to go through the manufacturer, are you serious? So I told her to just leave it and ill write off the item ($25) and go buy it at future shop. I asked her why they have such a BS return policy and that places like FS and BB don't make you go through this crap. She said "yes you do its no different at any other place"

Are you serious? Wow
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4741 posts
1564 upvotes
Toronto
Seriously? Forcing someone to spend their store credit on the spot? I can see them being extra cautious if it's an electronic item like a whole GPS, but just a mount? Another reason why it's called Crappy Tire... they should be forced to remove all references to Canada from their name.
Sep 7, 2010
360 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
FuzzyWuzzy wrote: Manager just got off the phone and said she can't make any exceptions cause I have to go through the manufacturer, are you serious? So I told her to just leave it and ill write off the item ($25) and go buy it at future shop. I asked her why they have such a BS return policy and that places like FS and BB don't make you go through this crap. She said "yes you do its no different at any other place"

Are you serious? Wow

Did you have the original receipt, and within the 90 days?

If yes, then the written policy should apply with regards to refund unless it's been damaged somehow.

Otherwise it becomes each stores discretion, and this is sometimes the problem with CT operated as franchises. You wind up getting inconsistent results from different stores.

Oh and another thing since it is operated as a franchise, the store credit can only be used at that store, yeah I know it's weird.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
+1 as above, if still within the written return policy, take it to another store.. get your money back then shop somewhere else because of the BS. Send a letter to CT head office after it's all done telling them you went somewhere else because of the problems at the first store.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
cruzine wrote: Did you have the original receipt, and within the 90 days?

If yes, then the written policy should apply with regards to refund unless it's been damaged somehow.

Otherwise it becomes each stores discretion, and this is sometimes the problem with CT operated as franchises. You wind up getting inconsistent results from different stores.

Oh and another thing since it is operated as a franchise, the store credit can only be used at that store, yeah I know it's weird.

Yes I have the receit. When she told me I should go back to the original store I nearly lost it. Seriously? Is this 1991 or something? Why the hell does it matter what store I go to? I tried pointing out on the receipt that it says 90 days return but she acted like she was the queen of the world and wouldn't even listen to me. All she kept saying was "this is opened I can't resell it". I'm like "so what?...it says right on the reeipt you will refundm opened or not.".

Absolute bullshht policy!!! There's no way in hell FS, BB and even staples makes you go through all this garbage. I've done exchanges there so many times. What a buncha idiots!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2695 posts
277 upvotes
i had a stupid thing happen to me the other Christmas.

bought a cookware set on sale, wrapped it up for a present and then a few weeks later it had an even better sale on it.

so i wanted to get it price matched.
Walked into the store, they said that since it was pas the 14 days they wouldn't let me price match. i pointed out that its still within the return period meaning i can do a return on the item even if i'm not happy with it. they said the only thing i could do is return it and buy it again.

so i simply went into the store bought the item, went to another canadian tire and returned it with my original receipt. .
they tried telling me that it wouldn't' be possible to do since they track the packages and the computer would know it's not the real one. I told him it was BS since they only scan the UPC and the UPC code is identical when it's the same product.
Jun 29, 2009
147 posts
11 upvotes
[QUOTE]Yes I have the receit. When she told me I should go back to the original store I nearly lost it. Seriously? Is this 1991 or something? Why the hell does it matter what store I go to? I tried pointing out on the receipt that it says 90 days return but she acted like she was the queen of the world and wouldn't even listen to me. All she kept saying was "this is opened I can't resell it". I'm like "so what?...it says right on the reeipt you will refundm opened or not.". [/QUOTE]

Was it in one of those heat sealed plastic packages? They put "must be returned in original condition and packaging" on their return policy specifically so they can refuse returns on those.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18897 posts
3559 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
This sort of BS is why I avoid Canadian Tire unless I *know* the item will not be returned.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Euroae wrote: Was it in one of those heat sealed plastic packages? They put "must be returned in original condition and packaging" on their return policy specifically so they can refuse returns on those.

Yes it was. Ok fine dont refund me then but it doesnt mean she couldnt put the credit back onto a gift card so i could go to the other store to get the mount I wanted. This process should have taken 10mins tops, and thats with the lineup. But noooo theyre such clueless idiots working at CT that they have to make a simple process so damn complicated. Instead she has to waste upwards of 45mins of my Sat morning saying i have to buy something from their store on the spot and cant leave the store unless I do. Then goes on to call head office. THen goes on saying how I have to go through the manufacturer.

Ya fabulous idea! lets call head office when youre the only moron working the returns counter (while the other 12 workers around her stand around picking each others noses) while she only has 8 or 9 people waiting in line to refund something. :confused:
Feb 5, 2008
946 posts
271 upvotes
Fraser Valley
I've always found Canadian Tire to be one of the better retailers for returns... Not many other retailers offer a 90 day return policy
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1886 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
This actually has to do with their inventory. I believe some "The Bay" are the same where they'd ask you to return to where you bought the item from because they don't want their inventory to show +1 open box item which they will have hard time selling.

Also, when I worked as a commissioned salesperson back in the bay, some salesperson will straight out LIE to you saying that other store cannot hold stock for you even though they have one. You either have to go to the store to get it, or have it transferred. This is a LIE. Store can usually hold the item for you, it's just that the sales person wants to make the commission there and then. Alternatively, they will try to sell you the item in the store and ask you to pick the item up from the other store.

[QUOTE]Easy returns: Save your receipt
To return an item for exchange or refund, bring it to any Canadian Tire store within 90 days, in its original condition and packaging, with your receipt and issue of Canadian Tire “Money”®. Returns without the original receipt or packaging will be accepted at Canadian Tire's discretion. If a product is defective, the manufacturer’s warranty will apply. Credit to the original method of payment or a store credit will be provided as required. Some exceptions may apply*. Your name, residence address and phone number will be required. This information is collected, used and retained to help prevent fraud, and may only be disclosed within Canadian Tire. Valid photo ID may be required to confirm this information.[/QUOTE]

Print it out from their web site, bring the item back, show it to the manager. If the manager still refuses, take down the name, call the online customer service on the spot saying that the store manager refuses to honor the policy. If not, go home and write a formal complain letter to CT/start a complain at BBB's web site.

Many years ago when I returned an item to CT, I told the CSR that I wasn't satisfied with the item. She then told me that they don't "rent" out items but will take it back this time.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Clearly from my own experiences and those of countless other RFD posters, CT's stated policy is a colossal lie.

Basically it should read:

• Screw what it says on the back of the register receipt. Just about every return is entirely at our discretion, and acceptable only if our Returns Clerk happens to be in a good enough mood -- or thinks you're cute ;)
  • A store that doesn't carry the item you want to return will refuse it and make you drive many kilometres to try returning it to another location.
  • We will issue your refund in whatever form we damn well please, our preference being a credit note with an immediate expiry.
Thanks again for shopping at Canadian Tire!
[/I]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
dscott01 wrote: I've always found Canadian Tire to be one of the better retailers for returns... Not many other retailers offer a 90 day return policy

The stated return policy is a complete fairy-tale, just like "All our Mastercraft tools are guaranteed -- FOREVER!"
"I count as braver he who conquers his desires than he who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over the self." - Aristotle