None
SCORE
+2
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
4444 posts
105 upvotes

Beware of cancelling a Telus Contract

This happened to me about 4 months ago but I didn't know we had a board like this one.

I was with Telus from Fall of '06 (don't remember the exact month) on a 3 year contract that would have expired this Fall.

I wasn't happy with Telus. My plan was decent, but I didn't like their phones, nor did I like the reception/service area from Telus. I very often wouldn't get any reception in certain places; whereas my friends (with Rogers/Fido) would. This really annoyed me.

After going on HowardForums' Telus sub-forum and talking to a few Telus stores about canceling a contract; I found out that you are suppose to be billed $20 + taxes a month for the remaining months of your contract.

Not true ...

After I switched my number to Rogers, I got my last bill from Telus ... a whooping $248.

Why? Well they did the charge for the remaining months immediately under one bill (12x20 = $240).

I called Telus, spoke to a rep; even spoke to management and they told me that they have never heard of billing people $20 a month for the remaining time period. The best they could do for me was to send out e-mails to the stores I spoke to (Vaughan Mills & Yorkdale) and tell them about their mistake.

At that point I was already frustrated even more with Telus, but I said to hell with it; paid the whole amount and was relieved from Telus' horror.

So beware, if you are planning to cancel your contract; you'll be paying the $20 penalty per month immediately at full amount. I'm not sure if this is true Rogers, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it is true with Telus.
Heatware
[73 - 0 - 0]

Share:
54 replies
Nov 20, 2008
264 posts
44 upvotes
With rogers, i believe its a maximum of $400 dollars, not sure about the month left/charge ratio.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1355 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
Rogers is the same, My mom had a bill for $420 canceling the contract. Rogers had horrible service. From day 1, My moms cell phone never worked. No one would do anything. She changed to Telus & couldn't be happier.

We switched places :lol:
Jul 22, 2006
205 posts
56 upvotes
Welcome to a lesson learned and advice to read your contract before signing one. Why would Telus keep billing you every month for the remaining months of your cancelled contract when you don't even have service with them anymore? I have never heard of any provider (or any business for that matter) that would send you a monthly bill for a cancelled contract until that contract is up. You chose to discontinue service with them and according to the terms of your contract you were billed $20 per month for the remaining months of your contract, but that does not mean you pay that $20 every month until the your contract is over. It means that amount becomes payable immediately upon termination of your contract. Be thankful that you only had one year left in your contract. If you cancelled with 35 months left, you would be out of pocket $700 because Telus doesn't have a maximum.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11947 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
I'm glad a few members mentioned Rogers already, I know they have such a policy in place.

Really, why would anyone LEAVE Telus? :D I know I'm not going to, I'm happy.
One part Telus, one part RFD.

Check the policy next time before you make a SIGNIFICANT move like that.
Oh well.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Feb 2, 2006
216 posts
17 upvotes
When I worked for a cell phone company we would add $20.00 a month for each month until the contract would have expired. This was with a smaller company but I believe we copied this idea from Telus. Telus may of changed there practices in the last couple of years though.
Do you still have a copy of the contract with you?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6119 posts
979 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Sorry OP but I don't think this is bad on Telus part. A $400 or even $500 maximum wouldn't be unreasonable but they don't choose to do that and I can hardly blame them.

The misunderstanding was on your part, which sucks, but such it life.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1347 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand... you say that howardforums and the telus reps at the stores told you that it would be $20 for every month remaining... which is I assume 12 months remaining...
What I am confused is at the point where you say they charged you "immediately"...the $240.... so are you saying that you were told that it would be $20+tax per month, and you will be billed this monthly and not as soon as you "close" your account? If so, you would, of course, be billed immediately; you're closing the account...
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
Dark-Colonel wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 5:51 pm

So beware, if you are planning to cancel your contract; you'll be paying the $20 penalty per month immediately at full amount. I'm not sure if this is true Rogers, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it is true with Telus.
I thought this was common knowledge. $20/mth for the remaining months of your contract describes how much your penalty is - not when it's gonna be paid.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1335 posts
136 upvotes
I don't know why people would ever do this.

With all these $15 plans, just go through to retentions until someone is willing to match the most basic $15 a month plan... and maybe even less if you can get them to give you credits... and just let it sit for the remainder. Could have potentially saved yourself $60, and you are able to pay it out for a whole year.

A much smarter plan IMO.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4800 posts
414 upvotes
rems wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 10:24 pm
I thought this was common knowledge. $20/mth for the remaining months of your contract describes how much your penalty is - not when it's gonna be paid.
I thought so too, why would the finance the amount. This is NOT something unique to Telus.

Basically you're paying a penalty for terminating the contract. That *amount* is the $20 x <Months>, Amount does not equal "We will charge you $20 per month" or "finance this amount". The contract is broken the second you cancel service so the penalty is calculated and you are charged, then your account is closed. Once you broke the contract basically it's over.

However I can see where you might have mis-interpreted the information but whatever they have charged you is 100% correct. All companies will charge termination this way.
Jan 13, 2008
136 posts
3 upvotes
Stinger wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 10:48 pm
I don't know why people would ever do this.

With all these $15 plans, just go through to retentions until someone is willing to match the most basic $15 a month plan... and maybe even less if you can get them to give you credits... and just let it sit for the remainder. Could have potentially saved yourself $60, and you are able to pay it out for a whole year.

A much smarter plan IMO.
OP wouldn't be able to port his number from telus to rogers if he let his plan ran out this way
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9690 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> I don't understand... you say that howardforums and the telus reps at the stores told you that it would be $20 for every month remaining... which is I assume 12 months remaining...
What I am confused is at the point where you say they charged you "immediately"...the $240.... so are you saying that you were told that it would be $20+tax per month, and you will be billed this monthly and not as soon as you "close" your account? If so, you would, of course, be billed immediately; you're closing the account...

LOL, really. I don't get what the problem is either. Telus did what the guys at Howard Forums said they would do.

Also, I don't get ...

> My plan was decent, but I didn't like their phones,

What, did they hide all the available phones until after you signed up?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2707 posts
298 upvotes
I thought this was common knowledge as EVERY carrier has a contract cancellation fee.

It doesn't make any sense, what would be the point of the contract if you could break it anytime without any penalties?
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11161 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
When did Telus drop the $30 to $20 for each remaining month of the contract?

btw the other thing about Telus (used to be not sure if this is still the case) is that there was no maximum, so it could be 36 months x $20 (or $30). With Rogers, the maximum used to be $200, now $400.
× < >