• Mar 30th, 2010 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 15, 2002
188 posts
12 upvotes
Halifax

Beware of irepair!

(Not sure if this is the right forum, or if RFD even has an appropriate forum, but this seems like good information for anyone trying to save money).

I purchased an iPod touch for my wife's birthday in May 2008.

My wife's iPod touch began having what appeared to be battery problems in summer of 2009.
In Sept 2009, I sent the ipod to irepair for diagnosis.
On Sept 5th, they emailed with a quote for screen replacement, at a cost of $99.99. I replied the same day stating that there wasn't a problem with the screen, as far as I knew, and asking them for an explanation of why this was their diagnosis.
On Sept 11th, Martin de los Santos replied to me indicating that the battery problem had already been fixed, but the screen appeared to be faulty. The same day, I replied stating I wanted them to test the ipod's battery life with the new screen to confirm that battery problem had been fixed, before I would agree to pay for the new screen.
On Sept 16th, Martin replied that they would test it as I requested.
Sept 22, I emailed asking for an update.
Sept 29, I emailed again asking for an update. The same day, Martin replied stating that testing had revealed no issues with the battery life with the new screen. I replied authorizing the repair.
Oct 16, I was informed the repair was completed.
Oct 27, after my wife had used the ipod for a few days, I emailed irepair telling them the problem had not been fixed.
Nov 3, after no response, I requested a refund. They replied that I could send it in and they would test it again.
Dec 3, we sent the ipod in again.
Dec 5, they sent an invoice for a battery replacement, for $39.99, with a $10 discount. I paid it.
Dec 30, I sent them a notice that after use through the holidays, the problem still was not fixed, and I asked them to recommend a course of action.
Jan 12, I sent them another notice, requesting a refund.
Jan 18, I sent them another notice, informing them of my intent to file a complaint with BBB, and undertake other actions to inform people of my experience with them.
I have received no response from them since the beginning of December.

From what I have read, many people have success with irepair, but if they happen to misdiagnose your problem, they will take your money and stop communicating with you, so it's not worth the risk.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5647 posts
119 upvotes
Why didn't you deal with Apple directly?
Sep 15, 2002
188 posts
12 upvotes
Halifax
ben_liu wrote: Why didn't you deal with Apple directly?
My wife called them first, about a month after the warranty had expired. As I understand it, they wouldn't even discuss any problems unless we paid them $99 and sent the ipod in. It was a pretty discouraging start to the whole process.

(I now notice there's actually a retailer discussion forum, which I should have used. Doh! If any mods notice this thread and are able to move it, that would be great.)