• Jun 29th, 2014 7:32 am
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2007
229 posts
1 upvote
ON

Beware of MOR ENERGY

My wife just had brutal exchange with a rep from Mor Energy from Ottawa so I thought I'd share it with fellow RFD'ers.

Door bell rings and a man tells my wife he is in the neighborhood to replace all Enbridge water heaters, our condo block currently rents from Enbridge. My wife does ask him if he works for Enbridge, he says yes. She leads him downstairs to the water heater where he indicates that it is an "older" model and needs replacing.

While he's filling out the forms, my wife notices that he doesn't actually give her a copy of the first batch of paper work, the one with the Enbridge logo but instead gives her a copy from a binder and tells her to sign it. She tells him that she needs to read it, he responds that she doesn't. She immediately notices a logo for Mor Energy and the fine print stating that if she signs this agreement, she agrees to switch services from Enbridge to Mor Energy at a price increase 25%!! :mad:

She then proceeds to tear him a new to which he just walks out the door while my wife is in mid sentence. What an a-hole!!

This goes without saying.....but beware of Mor Energy.
60 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
Thanks for the warning. I think also for safety sake any alone should be very careful whom they let into the house when no one else is around (especially a perfect stranger).
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10907 posts
1323 upvotes
Bidou78 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 12:06 pm
... if she signs this agreement, she agrees to switch services from Enbridge to Mor Energy at a price increase25%!! :mad: .. .
I think it's even worse than that. Isn't it a fixed term contract as well? If you want to cancel or buy out the water heater at some later date, there a huge cancellation penalty?

Also the line some of these guys use is:
"There was a note in your natural gas bill that we would be coming around to check your water heater this month. Bring your gas bill here and I'll show you....."
Jan 26, 2010
4 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
So no doubt you were mislead entirely. I had a female morEnergy agent come to my door. She didn't tell me she was from Enbridge, but I assumed. She told me about my current water heater, and how a new one could be better. She went on to explain that she wasn't from Enbridge, and that it was really Direct Energy who owned my old tank. Mor would still bill me through Enbridge and it would be cheaper. I figured, why not, it is just a water heater after all.
The new tank works great, I see about $3 savings in gas consumption after the diference of the rental rate. I'm not concerned about the higher rental rate, becuase it is fixed for ten years, not the tank contract.
I hope that your water heater experiences improve. I know that I am definately recieving better customer service from Mor than I ever did from Direct Energy, I never even knew they were there!!!

To conclude I think that your experience with a company comes from one experience with one agent, but every company has a black sheep that could ruin the name for the company. Give them a chance to redeem themselves and you may be surprised!
Bidou78 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 12:06 pm
My wife does ask him if he works for Enbridge, he says yes.
Oct 7, 2009
810 posts
48 upvotes
Hmm, a single post person who registered to save MorEnergy's name... makes you wonder.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Same deal here in Toronto with a company called LIVE PR.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/enbr ... -588051/2/

I was also told nonchalantly that he works for Enbridge. Be careful guys!

Bottom line is, you don't have to let them onto your premises no matter what company they say they work for, even if it is Enbridge unless they say there is a leak or something dire they have no reason to enter your home.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6157 posts
239 upvotes
I wouldn't be surprised if the same person came to my door during a holiday party I held. She kept on going on even though I wanted to close the door and I kept saying I don't want to sign anything now and I will cal lher back. She took my number and name and when I refused to sign now and my friend was calling me in for dinner, I told her to leave and she handed me back my contact info. Haha.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1638 posts
477 upvotes
Barrie
Therion wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 1:07 pm
Hmm, a single post person who registered to save MorEnergy's name... makes you wonder.
Also just registered today...lol...looks WAY to fishy to me.
Jan 26, 2010
4 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
I'm not sure what you're implying...
Anyways, I think you may be interested, I recently found a blog that's apparently written by someone who actually works for one of these companies.
http://livingthedoor-to-doordream.blogspot.com

Therion wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 1:07 pm
Apr 27, 2009
178 posts
18 upvotes
Maritimes
Jason67 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 12:10 pm
So no doubt you were mislead entirely. I had a female morEnergy agent come to my door. She didn't tell me she was from Enbridge, but I assumed. She told me about my current water heater, and how a new one could be better. She went on to explain that she wasn't from Enbridge, and that it was really Direct Energy who owned my old tank. Mor would still bill me through Enbridge and it would be cheaper. I figured, why not, it is just a water heater after all.
The new tank works great, I see about $3 savings in gas consumption after the diference of the rental rate. I'm not concerned about the higher rental rate, becuase it is fixed for ten years, not the tank contract.
I hope that your water heater experiences improve. I know that I am definately recieving better customer service from Mor than I ever did from Direct Energy, I never even knew they were there!!!

To conclude I think that your experience with a company comes from one experience with one agent, but every company has a black sheep that could ruin the name for the company. Give them a chance to redeem themselves and you may be surprised!
This guy is a shill. He is a door-to-door salesman trying to defend his industry.
Feb 18, 2010
1 posts
Ottawa Area
SO GLAD I found this post! I had never heard of Mor energy before 2 reps followed me up my driveway the other day. UMM...big strike with me. So not the right time.

So I proceeded to do the research on them and found this post, glad I did. They have said they will come back at a better time. Guess who will not be answering her door??!

If someone from Mor Energy is reading this, take some pointers...

1. Your company is not well known. Maybe send a flyer out a week before coming to a neighborhood with all the necessary info.

2. Hire some female reps. As a female at home with my small children, I am very hesitant to let two large stranger men into my home from a company I have never heard of!!!!!

3. If I say no the first time or seem as if I am not interested, don't tell me you will be back. If I were interested, you'd know.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Jason67 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 12:10 pm

You fail at your obvious attempt to justify this scam. And yes it is a scam. There is no savings as the rate you agree to is considerably higher. One typical way they try to sucker you in is saying they will replace your water tank for free and there will be no change to your bill. LIE!!!!!!!!!
Apr 27, 2009
178 posts
18 upvotes
Maritimes
D-Roc wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 10:44 am
You fail at your obvious attempt to justify this scam. And yes it is a scam. There is no savings as the rate you agree to is considerably higher. One typical way they try to sucker you in is saying they will replace your water tank for free and there will be no change to your bill. LIE!!!!!!!!!
The best thing the shill can say about morEnergy's 'deal' is that he's allegedly saving $3, supposedly due to a lower gas charge. But then he negates that by admitting he's paying a higher rental fee. And he's locked in for 10 years! I don't think $3 is worth the aggravation of getting locked into a scam for 10 years.

Anyways, even if morEnergy and its copycats really are offering lower gas charges, and I don't think they are, if wholesale natural gas rose significantly, and they were losing on their fixed-rate deals, they would impose a surcharge or delivery fee or something, to remain profitable. The consumer would never see any savings. You wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I'm sure the fine print of any contract you would sign would say morEnergy is allowed to do whatever it wants to protect itself - just like any other company's fine print.

And, when the price of gas rises significantly, government likes to offer rebates to homeowners to keep their votes. It's happened before. So why would you bother trying to lock in a rate.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3889 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
I've had a horrible experience with MorEnergy too. We purchased a new townhome and didn't get a choice to buy out our water heater. Our rental was with MorEnergy.

Upon selling our townhome, we tried to contact MorEnergy to notify them the transfer of contract to the new owner. Well, the emails, voicemails and letters sent by us, our lawyers and the buyers lawyers didn't do a thing. They kept charging us our rental fee even 3 months after we moved until finally we had to put a stop payment on the auto payment setup through our bank.

MorEnergy and their horrible 'tactics' are fit...for the pit! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
382 upvotes
Valleywood
noahboady wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 11:15 am
Anyways, even if morEnergy and its copycats really are offering lower gas charges, and I don't think they are, if wholesale natural gas rose significantly, and they were losing on their fixed-rate deals, they would impose a surcharge or delivery fee or something, to remain profitable. The consumer would never see any savings. You wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I'm sure the fine print of any contract you would sign would say morEnergy is allowed to do whatever it wants to protect itself - just like any other company's fine print.
+1.

Exactly!

There are going to be all sorts of weasel words and wiggle room (in the contract) for them to adjust and assess admin fees to cover any loss.

All of us here are very wise to their schemes and deceptions and for the life of me I don't understand why the government doesn't revoke their business licenses and send them back to the holes they came from.

Go slightly off topic, I find it laughable that Direct Energy (the grandfather of energy contracts and deceptive practices) is now warning us about the new players in the hot water tank market and that locking into a tank contract could be very costly to the home owner.
× < >