• Apr 13th, 2012 5:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1996 posts
7 upvotes

Beware of PayPal fraud on your credit card

my credit card was recently used in fraud charges, with the following merchant and number

*SKATEBOARDF

I went back and forth between Paypal and my credit card bank to report fraud and charge-back. Will have to go through the lengthy process of stating in written letter those are fraud charges, and wait for them to investigate.

A quick google search showed a long thread of many ppl complaining of fraud charges with this same number 4029357733.
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/4029357733

I am seriously considering closing my paypal account. Just a heads up to people to review your credit card statements. I believe they were testing to see if I would notice, the charge was about $130. If I didn't notice and just paid blindly, they would probably increase the fraud transaction amounts.

Anyone else have similar experience?
Share:
50 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14334 posts
1286 upvotes
Oshawa
When you buy something from a website that uses paypal for credit card processing it shows up Paypal*COMPANY NAME 4029357733 the number is for paypal. If you have a charge like that on your credit card it's because someone used your card illicitly. You do NOT need a paypal account to incur a charge like that, just a credit card.

This is credit card fraud, most likely has nothing to do with the merchant or PayPal. You need a new CC issued, is all. But then again, cancelling PayPal is probably a good idea too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1996 posts
7 upvotes
Yes that was what I tried to explain to the credit card rep. She mentioned there has to be at least 3 fraud charges in order for them to issue a new credit card? WTF? Is this standard across all banks, or just BMO?
JAC wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 7:22 pm
When you buy something from a website that uses paypal for credit card processing it shows up Paypal*COMPANY NAME 4029357733 the number is for paypal. If you have a charge like that on your credit card it's because someone used your card illicitly. You do NOT need a paypal account to incur a charge like that, just a credit card.

This is credit card fraud, most likely has nothing to do with the merchant or PayPal. You need a new CC issued, is all. But then again, cancelling PayPal is probably a good idea too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
Does this affect those people who connected their Paypal to their bank account??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Feb 23, 2004
843 posts
93 upvotes
Flyhigh wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 7:28 pm
Is this standard across all banks, or just BMO?
Definitely not with PC Financial. I had a fraud charge that was less than $20 and they immediately cancelled my card and issued a new one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1996 posts
7 upvotes
wow I should do this. I am considering canceling my BMO credit card, but I have to wait for their investigation to end first, which can take 3-4 months omg...
kjs wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 7:43 pm
Definitely not with PC Financial. I had a fraud charge that was less than $20 and they immediately cancelled my card and issued a new one.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12170 posts
277 upvotes
how much did they charge? im thinking it may be a BMO thing. my debit got "compromised" and so did my mosaic has charges in the States even though it was sitting in my drawer for the past year
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Jul 5, 2004
21335 posts
1573 upvotes
Just another reason not to use Paypal. I keep trying to tell people but nobody listens until it happens to them. Sure, you'll use Paypal problem free for 5 years, but then out of the blue you'll realize you lost a lot of money. I almost lost approx. $7,000 because of Paypal. Luckily I was able to get it back with a lot of help from the people who sent me the money in the first place, but Paypal did everything they could to freeze my account and my money.

If you use Paypal, I guarantee you will eventually get screwed! You might be able to get your money back, but is it even worth the risk?
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Feb 3, 2009
19 posts
Scarborough
Flyhigh wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 7:28 pm
at least 3 fraud charges in order for them to issue a new credit card?
That's ridiculous... With CC card company I deal with, any mention of fraud and it's automatic new credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
at least 3 frauds then they'll issue you a new card? this is nonsense or your bank is really rich. i get a new cc periodically and i just tell rbc because i want a new no.
;)
May 24, 2008
183 posts
Canada
time to cancel my BMO cards..
Jan 9, 2004
742 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Why are you complaining about PayPal?
44 75 6F 6E 67
Microsoft/Apple/VMware certified IT consultant serving the GTA. PM me for info/rates.
eBay
Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1996 posts
7 upvotes
would getting a new CC #, and doing a charge back have any effect on your credit rating?
molala wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 11:10 pm
at least 3 frauds then they'll issue you a new card? this is nonsense or your bank is really rich. i get a new cc periodically and i just tell rbc because i want a new no.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26827 posts
401 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 9:05 pm
....If you use Paypal, I guarantee you will eventually get screwed!...
What is the alternative for Americain and Int'l payments? :cry:

And all the people who have non EMT compliant banking?? Boo!!!!
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
May 16, 2011
1 posts
I was charged to all 3 of my credit cards, different amounts by this by Leornado11 4029357733. It is a pain getting it resolved and I am closing my paypal account.
Flyhigh wrote:
Mar 5th, 2009 7:18 pm
my credit card was recently used in fraud charges, with the following merchant and number

*SKATEBOARDF

I went back and forth between Paypal and my credit card bank to report fraud and charge-back. Will have to go through the lengthy process of stating in written letter those are fraud charges, and wait for them to investigate.

A quick google search showed a long thread of many ppl complaining of fraud charges with this same number 4029357733.
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/4029357733

I am seriously considering closing my paypal account. Just a heads up to people to review your credit card statements. I believe they were testing to see if I would notice, the charge was about $130. If I didn't notice and just paid blindly, they would probably increase the fraud transaction amounts.

Anyone else have similar experience?
× < >