• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2017 1:51 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 29, 2006
147 posts
92 upvotes

Beware of Peter Construction

I would like to inform others out there to be aware and be careful of this contractor.

1) we had a contract, showed exactly what he had to do and at what price. Throughout the entire time during the renovation he would continually ask for more money stating that more work was required... He would continually beg for more money every week.

2) his work was poorly detailed and a hack job, example my walls were poorly finished, painting runs everywhere... My kitchen cabinets did not match the framings.... He cut cost in every way he could.

3) work was overdue for completion over 3 weeks... Evan then, not fully completed!..... Still he would ask for more money...

He never finished the job!.... He ran and stole 3 of my cabinet doors.....

Good thing, in held the last 10% and keeping it...

By far the WORST contractor I have ever used.... An awful experience.....

NOT RECOMMENDED!!
Images
  • upload.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Let me guess... Kijiji? Electrician, plumber, air plane mechanic? Brain surgeon too I bet if you paid him enough...
Dec 29, 2006
147 posts
92 upvotes
Unfortunately referred by a friend.... Was ok for him, but screwed me over... Probably because I had a much larger job....(almost a whole house)
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
I would never trust a guy named Johnny Lawyer to represent me in court and I'd never trust a contractor named Peter Construction....but thats just me.
May 28, 2017
204 posts
65 upvotes
Watch out for Richard, Lindsey, and 'Bob' too.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
By the way, you would probably do everyone a favor if you reported him to the ESA for doing electrical without an electrical contractors license. I'm assuming he doesn't have one anyway.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
That business card would be more than enough to deter me away

Lesson learned
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
mau_mau wrote: That business card would be more than enough to deter me away

Lesson learned
He's missing "gas fitter"
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Anyone that says they do flooring, kitchen cabinets and windows scares me immediately. All require dedicated pros.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: Anyone that says they do flooring, kitchen cabinets and windows scares me immediately. All require dedicated pros.
This. I've never met anyone who can do painting better than a painter. I've never met anyone who can do finish carpentry better than a finish carpenter.

I tend to avoid "Jack of all Trades". It means they can't establish a good reputation in any one trade so they'll take any work they can.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Cas77 wrote: This. I've never met anyone who can do painting better than a painter. I've never met anyone who can do finish carpentry better than a finish carpenter.

I tend to avoid "Jack of all Trades". It means they can't establish a good reputation in any one trade so they'll take any work they can.
Doing a particular trade all day long everyday usually means you know the tricks to do it correctly and quickly meaning you can charge a reasonable fee (as you are quick) and the homeowner should be happy with it (as it's your thing and you know what you are doing), and there should be very little you haven't seen or had to work around.

It's why we divide other professions like Engineers (yes a fluid movement mechanical engineer can design a house but it would take him 10 times as long as he would need to check books upon books) or a dental nurse could probably assist in an organ transplant. But do you want those people doing that?

Look at any job ad for sales for instance... they typically want industry experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
I always ask for multiple references. Just one reference doesn't tell the whole story.
Just because one guy says it is perfect. But it is only perfect in his eyes....not in an expert's eye or overall average.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Does this mean I should avoid Joey Toilet to do my plumbing?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
gbill2004 wrote: Does this mean I should avoid Joey Toilet to do my plumbing?
Yes, he might do a shitty job with piss poor communication skills.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Cas77 wrote: Yes, he might do a shitty job with piss poor communication skills.
lol!!! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Whenever I see this thread all I can think of is Family Guy and this would be the name of Peter's construction company that did terrible work.