Shopping Discussion

Beware: Rona return policy on clearance item.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 5:52 pm
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
147 posts
55 upvotes

Beware: Rona return policy on clearance item.

So I just bought a few boxes of pot light from Rona online and picked up in store, and ended up I need to return those because the size of the plate is different from my existing ones. The sales rep refused to do the return because the items were in clearance. There was nowhere in the store or online that said clearance item are final sale, and apparently that’s Rona’s policy, and even their call centre said so. There were no warning or anything about clearance item being final sale while the store keep promoting their 90 days return policy.

I found this quite scratchy. Did I missed something or that’s the general practice for other company as well? At least for Staples I was able to return a clearance item just last week....
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4139 posts
1649 upvotes
Mississauga
For as long as I can remember, anything on clearance at Rona was final sale. It even says so on the packaging.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5862 posts
2220 upvotes
Alberta
mrweather wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:06 pm
For as long as I can remember, anything on clearance at Rona was final sale. It even says so on the packaging.

Clearance and final sale, I think this applies to most stores.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
147 posts
55 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:53 pm
Well, as far as I know, it doesn't apply to Home Depot, Lowes, Staples.... Or at least when it's final sale, the cashier would inform me and put a big red stamp onto the receipt, but not in this case of Rona, they have a small print of "Final sale" on a receipt, in which I didn't notice until the sale rep pointed it out to me while I did the return.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1212 posts
210 upvotes
So, it’s on the receipt, but you didn’t read it.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
147 posts
55 upvotes
broc wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:02 pm
Yes... I agree it is my fault that I didn't read the receipt, but that receipt was a A4 size paper (because of online order?), which I didn't expect I would need to read through all the fine print after each purchase. Plus I did ask the cashier about the return policy while picking the item up, and she said 90 days return....
Jan 31, 2011
722 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Same thing for Walmart, no return on clearance item. Just learnt that recently. At least last time at Rona I got a verbal reminder from the cashier when I checked out, Walmart now has self checkout counter so you won't know until it's too late.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12492 posts
1899 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I have not heard about this. Thank you for making this thread!! Usually, the description "final sale" is in the online description on some other websites so that the customer knows right away.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2195 posts
915 upvotes
B.C.
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:53 pm

I don't think so and as long as it's not marked anywhere I believe the regular return policy should apply. Realistically denying returns on clearance stuff won't help stores sell the items.

thunderbolt wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:14 am
Same thing for Walmart, no return on clearance item. Just learnt that recently. At least last time at Rona I got a verbal reminder from the cashier when I checked out, Walmart now has self checkout counter so you won't know until it's too late.
I've returned lots of clearance items to Walmart - even ones not sold at the store I'm returning it to. BUT our stores here are way more relaxed than the ones in Toronto. When I lived in Toronto 10+ years ago they were super strict with returns. I can't imagine how they are now.

I am talking about the regular clearance items though - not the weird final sale ones with the handwritten paper slips (they're pretty rare and seem to be for selling display items)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
To me an item on clearance is on clearance because the store wants to get rid of it for some reason.
So I think not being able to return it makes perfect sense.

However, I also think the store should make that clear to the customer when buying the item.
I have had cases where the cashier whips out a stamp after the transaction with a big "No Returns" and stamps the receipt as she hands it to me.
I wonder what she would have said if I told her at that point I don't want it.
Last edited by krs on Jan 19th, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 7, 2007
916 posts
396 upvotes
Maybe its store dependent.

I bought 20 gu10 led bulbs for about $2 each on clearance (impulse bought). 2 weeks later (yesterday), I returned all of them no problem.

This was in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1301 posts
367 upvotes
Kanata
broc wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:02 pm
Putting conditions on the receipt and expecting people to be aware of them is BS. You get the receipt after the transaction is complete and now it is too late.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2012
2246 posts
1861 upvotes
UntdProvncsOfCanada
I bought some clearance items from rona online and when i picked it up found out it was floor model clearance items not in box...that was not expected. i endedup testing it out there before i picked it up.

also, i paid via credit card online but wanted to use their gift card but the website doesn't offer it. i was able to 'return' everything and put it on my gift card on the spot.
..your thread could use a photo...
:arrow: Fight Spam in Canada! 💡
Sep 28, 2017
508 posts
317 upvotes
i think it's just common knowledge that if it's on clearance it's final sale. why offer the same return policy on something they are keeping in stock.... say you buy it and you have an issue and need another one. clearance would mean it's not going to be replenished anymore so you can't return it for another of the same... thus final sale.

i always go into a clearance item purchase with the expectations it's non-refundable/no exchange. maybe if they still have stock they would do an exchange if it's defective or missing pieces, etc. but definitely no monetary return.
no matter where you go, there you are.