• Dec 25th, 2010 4:19 am
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2007
243 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary

Beware of Western Digital

I've sent drives (on warranty) that failed to western digital many times. Most of the time I have a pretty easy time with it. But it seems every once in a while they "lose" the drive I ship them and try the old trick of "check with your postal agent" line.

Fortunately for me I have two digital signatures of two drives that I shipped. Someone named Emran Sateur signed for the drives - IF you can call it a signature (just a squiggly line). These signatures saved me from being charged at least $80.00 by western digital on my credit card. Of course, I contacted my CC and had them freeze all charges to my card temporarily.

Let this be a warning to you: If you ever need to send something on warranty to western digital, and you use their "Advanced Replacement service". That is, they send YOU a drive ahead of time but you have to give a credit card #. If you fail to return the drive within a month, they charge you for it.

ALWAYS GET INSURANCE AND REQUEST A SIGNATURE.

Oh, and western digital sucks.
I am the liquor.
Jim Lahey, Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor
It's liquor day Randy.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1325 posts
238 upvotes
Vancouver
never had a problem with any of my wd drives or warranty claims
Graphic Designer
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
perfectg wrote: never had a problem with any of my wd drives or warranty claims
Same here
Jan 1, 2008
112 posts
9 upvotes
sixer wrote: Same here
Same here.. had to do it twice, no issues both times. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1074 posts
maybe you got unlucky?

i have been using Western Digital 80GB drive since 2001 and its my main drive.
NEVER had a problem with it, and i am a heavy abuser. my comp is in a very hot room and runs 24/7 downloading stuff.
i am amazed at my drive
*knocks on wood*
Sep 4, 2006
543 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
I experiences the same problem but i had to go thru UPS for insurance.

Will never buy from WD because of this.
My Heatwave: mekaakaa
Jan 18, 2007
243 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
I think my next HD's will be Seagate or another brand.
I am the liquor.
It's liquor day Randy.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1667 posts
it sounds reasonable what WD do, may be you just lazy.
Jan 18, 2007
243 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
nopn wrote: it sounds reasonable what WD do, may be you just lazy.
Well let me ask you this: If you RMA'd a drive and sent the bad one back.....with proof that it was shipped & received by the other party. Would you think it would be OK to be charged $80 bucks?
I am the liquor.
It's liquor day Randy.
Dec 10, 2010
3 posts
Hi SToneman...
I seem to be falling into the same trap. This is not an advanced replacement thing.
I had sent the defective HD through canada post to WD Mississuaga and the same person (Emran sataur) has signed for it (well..jus some squeal)....but WD website still has waiting for product status after a week. What should I do now? I have the signature proof. Is the postal service or WD responsible for this? Pls help...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
dharmeshwar wrote: Hi SToneman...
I seem to be falling into the same trap. This is not an advanced replacement thing.
I had sent the defective HD through canada post to WD Mississuaga and the same person (Emran sataur) has signed for it (well..jus some squeal)....but WD website still has waiting for product status after a week. What should I do now? I have the signature proof. Is the postal service or WD responsible for this? Pls help...

uhh contact them?
Dec 10, 2010
3 posts
I had contacted them....WD says the product will be shipped internally from their Mississuaga location (Canada) to their US location and then new HD will be shipped from US.
But the status still says "Not received" and my major worry is because it was signed by the same person in question "Emran Sataur" at Mississuaga WD.
I will check with WD again and hopefully what they said is true (shipping from US)....
Jul 31, 2009
202 posts
6 upvotes
dharmeshwar wrote: Hi SToneman...

happened to me same story, just call WD ask them whats going on with RMA.give them tracking # you have, they will see signature at the delivery and they will send you drive,prior updating their system that they got it.or you will wait for a while.in my case i got already replacement drive, had it for 2 month or so and only then i had email from WD saying they received it.
Just call, it should solve your problem,i didnt have to get piss just give them tracking #
Jul 31, 2009
202 posts
6 upvotes
dharmeshwar wrote: I had contacted them....WD says the product will be shipped internally from their Mississuaga location (Canada) to their US location and then new HD will be shipped from US.
But the status still says "Not received" and my major worry is because it was signed by the same person in question "Emran Sataur" at Mississuaga WD.
I will check with WD again and hopefully what they said is true (shipping from US)....

thats not true, noone ever sent my hdd to US ,then back and so on. ive done these rma a lot.just call diff agent speak to them again
Banned
Jan 19, 2009
2300 posts
99 upvotes
stop buying the blue or green lines.

buy the black caviars.

ive always used WD for hdd.

i still have my 20gb one with windows 98 and it boots fine.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
For those who like WD....why do they warranty their External HD's for only 1 yr if they're so good?
Oct 23, 2001
462 posts
28 upvotes
Hamilton
Because retail products are all 1 year warranty with WD and OEM 3/5 years. This lets the retail stores make their money selling extended warranties. At least that's my assumption.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
I tend to stay away from WD. I don't do enough repairs for my findings to be credible, but I've seen about 10 Dead WD Drives in my lifetime, a couple maxtors, and never any seagates.

I'm a seagate fanboi until futher notice.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0