Page 1 of 4

Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm edition for 279.99$ @NCIX

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 9:55 pm
by MonsieurX
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81349 ... omoid=1213
Part of their current promo but this is a hot deal.
Beware that you will need an amp to drive those headphones
Wish I didn't get a used pair for 200$ few months ag!o

Re: Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm edition for 279.99$ @NCIX

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 10:20 pm
by Gnus
I'm so tempted... but I'll hold off, have too many headphones as is.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 10:20 pm
by Hello-
What is transparent sound?

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 11:31 pm
by djcarpentier
Hello- wrote: What is transparent sound?
Its not a great word to use when your describing headphones. It is referring to these as being "uncoloured". ie. That these faithfully re-produce what the producer of the song wanted without adding extra bass or treble. Not quite true in the case of these, but the bottom line is that these are very good headphones. Worth the money if you have a good soundcard or amp to drive them.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 11:32 pm
by oldpro
Gnus wrote: I'm so tempted... but I'll hold off, have too many headphones as is.
Exactly same here. Can I sell u some of my collection ? lol.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 11:45 pm
by oldpro
I'm definitely NOT an expert here, but the adjectives "audiophile experts" use when describing headphones is absolutely amazing - sometimes, I cannot stop chuckling at the language they use. Anyway, in this case, I think that "transparent" refers to the open design characteristic of this particular headphone, as opposed to a closed design, which is harder to do right than the open design. If not done right, the closed design can sound like it's coming from a barrel, or something like that. My 2 cents.

Posted: Jul 3rd, 2013 11:59 pm
by syneric
oldpro wrote: I'm definitely NOT an expert here, but the adjectives "audiophile experts" use when describing headphones is absolutely amazing - sometimes, I cannot stop chuckling at the language they use. Anyway, in this case, I think that "transparent" refers to the open design characteristic of this particular headphone, as opposed to a closed design, which is harder to do right than the open design. If not done right, the closed design can sound like it's coming from a barrel, or something like that. My 2 cents.
It doesn't refer to the design of the headphone, but rather a quality of the sound signature. Transparency with respect to sound is clarity and easily discernible detailing. You can differentiate the various sounds that are coming from the thing you are listening to. It's the opposite of something muddy, where it sounds distorted and everything sounds like they're clumsily crammed together. An example of something muddy are Beats headphones that emphasize bass so much that it distorts the other sounds.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:06 am
by Gnus
oldpro wrote: Exactly same here. Can I sell u some of my collection ? lol.
Depends what you got in your collection. ;)

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:09 am
by halhen1
These were available at MD a while ago for $220 US plus shipping.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:10 am
by toosteezy
MonsieurX wrote: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81349 ... omoid=1213
The deal isn't hot. Just buy the 250ohm edition for $165 which is more than adequate for people without a decent hi-fi setup.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1584/

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:18 am
by djemzine
Will a Fiio E17 power them?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:18 am
by syneric
toosteezy wrote: The deal isn't hot. Just buy the 250ohm edition for $165 which is more than adequate for people without a decent hi-fi setup.

Those are the Pros, the one NCIX is selling are the Premiums. They are both under the 990 line, but are different sonically.

@djemzine Probably, but to get the most out of them you may need some more juice from a better amp since these are the 600 ohm version.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:35 am
by halhen1
toosteezy wrote: The deal isn't hot. Just buy the 250ohm edition for $165 which is more than adequate for people without a decent hi-fi setup.

Not even comparable.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 12:50 am
by rageguy
djemzine wrote: Will a Fiio E17 power them?
Yes. But for those who do not have an amp and will drop the money for one, skip the FiiO E17 and go for a Schiit Asgard 2. It's a very budget friendly tube amp, and a lot of people pair it with the DT990 600ohm. You will get nice deep bass, and the high will be very outstanding. The Asgard 2 will really drive the DT990 perfectly.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 1:21 am
by llance
so it is more convenient for home use only i assume? will this thing be good for everyday use like taking bus and subway?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 1:25 am
by refraxion
llance wrote: so it is more convenient for home use only i assume? will this thing be good for everyday use like taking bus and subway?
Open cans = people will hear what you hear. It will be pretty annoying for some.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 1:31 am
by nabby
rageguy wrote: Yes. But for those who do not have an amp and will drop the money for one, skip the FiiO E17 and go for a Schiit Asgard 2. It's a very budget friendly tube amp, and a lot of people pair it with the DT990 600ohm. You will get nice deep bass, and the high will be very outstanding. The Asgard 2 will really drive the DT990 perfectly.
The Asgard is a transistor amp - it isn't a tube amp. The Valhalla and Lyr are tube amps.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 2:02 am
by always
llance wrote: so it is more convenient for home use only i assume? will this thing be good for everyday use like taking bus and subway?
It's mainly for home use. 600ohms means you're going to need a pretty powerful amp to power these cans.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 4:03 am
by daeth
halhen1 wrote: Not even comparable.
And yet people have made comparisons lol.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2013 8:29 am
by plebeian
MonsieurX wrote: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81349 ... omoid=1213
This is a pretty good deal, never heard these before but the reviews are good for these cans.
My understanding of sound transparency is similar to syneric's

In a basic headphone setup (digital) you typically have your music, your DAC, AMP, and headphones.

Many times the components in a system all have their own "sound", for instance people talk about tube amplifiers giving their music a warm colored sound, it is the same with headphones, some headphones have a wider range of frequencies, displace more air, emphasize certain frequencies, are faster/slower, etc. etc. A transparent headphone allows you (if unimpeded by the rest of the system) to hear your music with minimal interference and is truer to the recording itself.

A truly "transparent" system is not as common as you'd think because one or more of the components might influence the sound (even things like the purity of the electricity running into the components and the cables used are said to have an effect on the sound ).

Some headphone setups pair darker sounding headphones with brighter sounding amps to get a neutral sound, while others pair dark headphones with dark amps to get a fuller more rich sound, and it is here that this hobby gets interesting.

Where transparency in audio is concerned it is about finding the best synergies between equipment that coincide with your personal tastes . As with everything audio this is all subjective...