Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

BG/GB/LITB: Mi Box S (International Version) from $69 USD (cashback, FS)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2023 2:01 pm
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
WhoCanDeal wrote: So any idea why one box with work without issue and the other does not? The North American one doesn’t work but the international one does. I’ve read perhaps a factory reset may fix this but I haven’t really wanted to try this only to have it not work. It must be a hardware issue with the box?
Well there is no north american version of the mibox, the north american version is just the international version with a north american power adapter. I think it's batch specific (since HDCP issues are reported on both WM units and CN imported international units), because these issues always manifest themselves with older displays I suspect HDCP 1.x key might be missing from these mibox units (or it's just an iffy implementation of backward compatibility with HDCP 1.x displays).
Factory resets (or even a simple power down then a power up in a different order) might "temporarily" fix the issue, but everyone reports it will just come back within few days (sometimes few hours), your options for a permanent fix are:
- get the HDCP converter to get the problematic display out of the loop.
- upgrade the display to one with HDCP 2.2 support (all 4K displays at least have one HDCP 2.2 input port).
- get a cheapo amazon fire stick to cater for your 1080p Netflix needs.
Dec 12, 2012
390 posts
355 upvotes
Winnipeg
aasoror wrote: Well there is no north american version of the mibox, the north american version is just the international version with a north american power adapter. I think it's batch specific (since HDCP issues are reported on both WM units and CN imported international units), because these issues always manifest themselves with older displays I suspect HDCP 1.x key might be missing from these mibox units (or it's just an iffy implementation of backward compatibility with HDCP 1.x displays).
Factory resets (or even a simple power down then a power up in a different order) might "temporarily" fix the issue, but everyone reports it will just come back within few days (sometimes few hours), your options for a permanent fix are:
- get the HDCP converter to get the problematic display out of the loop.
- upgrade the display to one with HDCP 2.2 support (all 4K displays at least have one HDCP 2.2 input port).
- get a cheapo amazon fire stick to cater for your 1080p Netflix needs.
I just tried the “non” working box on the 4K tv in my sons room and it works without issue. Drm info shows 2.2 so we are obviously all good now. Just sucks that for no good reason it doesn’t work on our other tv’s.

Guess I’ll have to decide if I want to upgrade to get it to work or stick with the mobile Netflix app I have put on to get it to work.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
WhoCanDeal wrote: I just tried the “non” working box on the 4K tv in my sons room and it works without issue. Drm info shows 2.2 so we are obviously all good now. Just sucks that for no good reason it doesn’t work on our other tv’s.
As expected, its HDCP 1.x issue. At least you are now positive about what needs to be done if you want it to run on you older display.
Guess I’ll have to decide if I want to upgrade to get it to work or stick with the mobile Netflix app I have put on to get it to work.
You don't need to upgrade to get it to work, if you would rather not get a new 4K TV, the HDCP converter will do just fine to get the mibox to output 1080p from NF to your older display, in it's current "unprotected" state NF will only output 480p (or less) when it works.
Oct 9, 2014
375 posts
529 upvotes
YEG, YXE, YYZ
WhoCanDeal wrote: I just tried the “non” working box on the 4K tv in my sons room and it works without issue. Drm info shows 2.2 so we are obviously all good now. Just sucks that for no good reason it doesn’t work on our other tv’s.

I own a Mi Box and used to have this error with Netflix. I would have to reboot the Mi Box and Television and it would work. Now with the new update, Oreo, I never have any problems.
Apr 13, 2005
350 posts
150 upvotes
Kitchener
Jimbo67 wrote: Will this work with Bells Alt TV? or is there one cheaper on Amazon or Geekbuying that would work perfectly with an HDTV without a USB port, I have no need for 4k, just need it to have wifi. HDMI and to work perfectly with the Bell Alt TV app
Yes I use it on 2 mibox's with no issue.
Apr 13, 2005
350 posts
150 upvotes
Kitchener
redkulat wrote: I've been hearing the Oreo update slowing the performance down on the MiBox. I'm not in a huge rush to get it, what are people's thoughts who have it currently?
I have 2 boxes on the latest public build (2175).

The US version from Walmart works flawlessly.

The international version from GB is slow and laggy. I had to factory reset it yesterday hoping that it will resolve the issue.

Not saying whether or not the "international" version or US version is any different - moreso just highlighting how my experience has differed between boxes.

If you're not in a rush, don't upgrade. I'd say wait for a more solid release. They're still beta testing new releases.
Dec 12, 2012
390 posts
355 upvotes
Winnipeg
IntramuralDavid wrote: I own a Mi Box and used to have this error with Netflix. I would have to reboot the Mi Box and Television and it would work. Now with the new update, Oreo, I never have any problems.
I have the latest update, still have the problem as does a friend on hers.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2017
1711 posts
2485 upvotes
Ontario
baggio4eva wrote: Yes I use it on 2 mibox's with no issue.
How do you find the Mi Box with Alt TV and Alt TV in general? picture is good? Like Netflix tier?
Mar 3, 2014
16 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Since Oreo update I have problem with my box to resume from sleep. If I put the box to sleep (power button) couple of hours later it doesn't respond to power button on remote. Have to power-cycle it to get it back. And always need to pair the remote (back + home buttons) again.
Anybody with similar experience?
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
BabaMeca wrote: Since Oreo update I have problem with my box to resume from sleep. If I put the box to sleep (power button) couple of hours later it doesn't respond to power button on remote. Have to power-cycle it to get it back. And always need to pair the remote (back + home buttons) again.
I never turn mine off so haven't notice that problem.
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
Does anyone know how the MECOOL M8S PRO L or their lower end model the non-pro version compare to the Mi Box?
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
(\__/)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Brian79 wrote: Does anyone know how the MECOOL M8S PRO L or their lower end model the non-pro version compare to the Mi Box?
They don't compare, set tops running unlicensed phone/tablet OS and AndroidTV boxes are apples to oranges, even if few of them got lucky with a production run or two with leaked DRM support. If you want the real deal stick to legit AndroidTV based boxes, else go with the cheapest 2GB/S905x unlicensed Android set top money can buy from Amazon.

Here is a quick run down
aasoror wrote: "here is one more $50 unlicensed Android based box that:
- cost about half the cheapest licensed proper Android TV device out there.
- fulfilled by amazon so can be returned if you don't like it.
- will work with Kodi in 4K.
- runs most/all your favorite piracy addons.
- works with most iptv services.
- probably have a pure linux build downloadable from somewhere.
- has Ethernet for crappy wifi and spdif for legacy sound bars.
- running a touch based phone/tablet OS blown up to your big screen.
- comes with a crappy remote that will need to be replaced with mouse/keyboard combo of some sort.
- minimal/no support and is heavily DIY
- comes with a hacked/injected version of google playstore.
- wont ever run in 4K/FHD from any "copy protected" streaming service on Android including YT, NF, Amazon Prime or your cable provider streaming app (no widevine L1 or DHCP 2.2 key).
- wont (unless hacked) bit stream HD audio."
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
aasoror wrote: They don't compare, set tops running unlicensed phone/tablet OS and AndroidTV boxes are apples to oranges, even if few of them got lucky with a production run or two with leaked DRM support. If you want the real deal stick to legit AndroidTV based boxes, else go with the cheapest 2GB/S905x unlicensed Android set top money can buy from Amazon.
@aasoror Sorry I should have been more clear with my question :rolleyes: I really respect your opinion so am fully aware about the unlicensed Android boxes that run the tablet version instead of the Android TV OS.

The Mecool M8s Pro W and Mecool M8s Pro L both run Android TV OS just like the Mi Box.

Just like the Mi Box they also make boxes with the unlicensed version of Android so just as confusing Face With Tears Of Joy
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
(\__/)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Brian79 wrote: I never turn mine off so haven't notice that problem.
Neither do I but I still see a difference from the previous release. Now it takes at least three clicks on the remote to wake up the unit as compared to one before. As others have said, this Oreo rollout is a work in progress. We've been "volunteered" to be Beta testers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Brian79 wrote: The Mecool M8s Pro W and Mecool M8s Pro L both run Android TV OS just like the Mi Box.
These are not legit Android TV boxes, apparently they are just shipping with the some variant of the hacked Nexus builds that was available for these boxes on freaktab for a while already.

Just a quick google:
- No chrome cast abilities (actually product pages mentions miracast as an alternative), this is a big telling point, chrome cast receiver comes as part of the AndroidTV license.
- No HDCP 2.2 keys (just a leaked widevine L1) so DRM protected streams will be capped at 1080p (no 4K YT, no 4K NF, no 4K Amazon Prime).
- The W version is based on S905W chipset which can't do 4K@60, just 4K@30 (S905X in the mibox does 4K@60 without an issue).
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
aasoror wrote: These are not legit Android TV boxes, apparently they are just shipping with the some variant of the hacked Nexus builds that was available for these boxes on freaktab for a while already.

Just a quick google:
- No chrome cast abilities (actually product pages mentions miracast as an alternative), this is a big telling point, chrome cast receiver comes as part of the AndroidTV license.
- No HDCP 2.2 keys (just a leaked widevine L1) so DRM protected streams will be capped at 1080p (no 4K YT, no 4K NF, no 4K Amazon Prime).
- The W version is based on S905W chipset which can't do 4K@60, just 4K@30 (S905X in the mibox does 4K@60 without an issue).
WoW you never disappoint with your knowledge about these Android boxes.

I am going to forget about getting a Mecool box Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks!!!
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
(\__/)
Sep 26, 2016
153 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
I have one from another deal last year, and it's honestly great for what I need. YouTube for videos, Firefox (Android TV version) for watching shows in a browser, and Steam Link for playing games. It locks up and crashes sometimes, but not super often.
Come eat some chemicals with me 🎶🧪
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6021 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto
BabaMeca wrote: Since Oreo update I have problem with my box to resume from sleep. If I put the box to sleep (power button) couple of hours later it doesn't respond to power button on remote. Have to power-cycle it to get it back. And always need to pair the remote (back + home buttons) again.
Fascinating. Before Oreo we had that problem. Not every time, but often enough to be annoying. Imagine having to get up from the sofa! Oreo updates (main + supplementary OTA firmware updates, NOT beta) seem to have fixed it for us. (Probably irrelevant: I also go to the play app and ask it to install available app updates.)

My theory: the bluetooth remote got unpaired. At least sometimes when this happened, If you got up close and pressed the remote's pair of buttons that initiate paring, the box would wake up and go into pairing mode. (For some reason, pairing is supposed to be done with the remote close to the box. 18 inches?) I didn't try it often enough to to know how reliable this was. I also found that SOMETIMES banging away on buttons, from the sofa, was effective.

Observation: even though the box appeared to be asleep, it could be warm in this ignoring-the-remote state.

I'm really glad that that minor annoyance has been eliminated in our box.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
AnishD984845 wrote: Hi guys

Android 7.1 TV BOX, GooBang Doo ABOX A1 MAX 2GB RAM 16GB ROM Amlogic Quad Core A53 processor 64 bits

https://www.amazon.ca/Android-GooBang-D ... WFT6HA5EB9

is available for $ 59.99 pre tax .

Any idea how does this compare with mi box ?

I'm looking to make a good longer term investment
It doesn't compare.
Read here: bg-gb-litb-mi-box-international-version ... #p29698690

BTW, when the seller fails to disclose the chipset its because its an inferior one. And indeed, this one runs the crippled S905W (capped at 4k@30) which is mentioned on the title of the same listing on amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/GooBang-Doo-Andr ... B076KHQKZZ

Stay away, S905W have hard time selling at even $40 not $60.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)