Off Topic Archive

Locked: Bicycle peddle leading to injury and broken phone.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2012 11:36 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2010
79 posts
10 upvotes

Bicycle peddle leading to injury and broken phone.

Hey guys,

So a few hours ago I went for a bike ride with my roommate around the city. On our way back while going down a slight incline all of a sudden the whole peddle with metal attachment broke off the bike cleanly. I ended up losing my balance and sliding down on the pavement 10 meters or so. I scraped the left side of my lower leg in 4 places, my ass, and my upper leg, thumb has a deep wound, and I have some lower back pain right now. I was able to walk home being a little numb.

It should be said that I didn't pound down on the peddle either when this happened as I was going down-hill, but it must have been building up since it came clean off. I'll try to post pictures if I can.

Now whats really bugging me is that my Samsung Vibrant's screen didn't work after the accident (not my priority) as I wanted to call a friend to pick me up (it was a long walk home and I had blood all over my shirt and shorts.

With all of this I'm wondering if I should be talking to Raleigh or the department store where it was bought to get some sort of compensation? Or should I not bother because the bike is cheap and it is my fault for not expecting the bike to fall apart and cause me to have multiple wounds and my phone to break. Any suggestion guys?

The bike is a Raleigh Triumph about 7-8 months old and I think it was bought at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Pics of peddle and bike:

Share:
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5806 posts
495 upvotes
London
Post pictures. If it's a clean break, you 'might' have something in my opinion. It would have to be clearly a manufacturer defect, but I really have no idea your rights in things like this..

I would definitely be following up with the manufacturer, and maybe you can get them to 'settle' upon some agreed upon terms, i.e. repair / replace bike, and pay for phone repair without too much trouble.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3390 posts
383 upvotes
Aurora
hyp3rion wrote:
Mar 25th, 2012 9:15 pm
I scraped the left side of my lower leg in 4 places, my ass, and my upper leg, thumb has a deep wound, and I have some lower back pain right now.
Now whats really bugging me is that my Samsung Vibrant's screen didn't work after the accident.

That's priorities for you!
That's the end of my rant.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4411 posts
986 upvotes
hyp3rion wrote:
Now whats really bugging me is that my Samsung Vibrant's screen didn't work after the accident. With all of this I'm wondering if I should be talking to their legal department or something? Any suggestion guys?

Any suggestions? Yeah, grow TF up and get on with your life.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9919 posts
1815 upvotes
Oakville
You had an accident on a bike and you now think Samsung is responsible that your phone doesn't work?

Will you contact Levi's and ask them for a new pair of jeans coz your ones ripped too easily ?

:facepalm:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 4, 2005
843 posts
15 upvotes
hyp3rion wrote:
The bike is a Raleigh Triumph about 7-8 months old and I think it was bought at Walmart or Canadian Tire.
^^ this says it all... Department stores have tight margins on bikes, so they get inexperienced ppl to put the bikes together who have no idea about the key areas (such as cranks) that should be double checked before letting a bike out on the floor for sale. When a bike comes out of the box, the cranks are already secured, but often still need torquing. I can say this because I spent 8 years as a mechanic and you would not believe the amount of bikes I fixed that came in from department stores and the lack of safe setup they received. Some were only days old as well. I saw many people with injuries whom somehow figured it was their own fault??! W.T.F!? I am surprised that we do not hear of more lawsuits against these stores because of this.

BTW - did you get your bike in for a tune-up before you took it out? If it were a $600+ bike, I'd day not to worry, but a cheap department store bike.. they should have them every year.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9919 posts
1815 upvotes
Oakville
deejayspinz wrote:
Mar 25th, 2012 9:55 pm

BTW - did you get your bike in for a tune-up before you took it out? If it were a $600+ bike, I'd day not to worry, but a cheap department store bike.. they should have them every year.

People that just spent $129 for a new bike aren't really the type to spend $35 on a tune up.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
deejayspinz wrote:
Mar 25th, 2012 9:55 pm
^^ this says it all... Department stores have tight margins on bikes, so they get inexperienced ppl to put the bikes together who have no idea about the key areas (such as cranks) that should be double checked before letting a bike out on the floor for sale. When a bike comes out of the box, the cranks are already secured, but often still need torquing. I can say this because I spent 8 years as a mechanic and you would not believe the amount of bikes I fixed that came in from department stores and the lack of safe setup they received. Some were only days old as well. I saw many people with injuries whom somehow figured it was their own fault??! W.T.F!? I am surprised that we do not hear of more lawsuits against these stores because of this.

A quick Google tells me it's a 99 dollar bike. Or a 77 dollar bike after a Walmart rollback. In 2011, it was a 77.77 (thereabouts) bike from Canadian Tire. So it depends.

That said, I'd hope for the duration between purchase and the fall that you examined/inspected the bike at least once.

To quote Hugh Jass (^lol) from a year-ish ago from a thread on the bike in question:

Hugh Jass wrote:
May 22nd, 2011 1:20 am
How so cheap?

You just can't go wrong with this thing, just check everything has been assembled/tightened properly before you ride one.

This is perfect for those people that ride around the block with their kids twice a month.

IMO, this wouldn't really do well for commuting, as the parts will wear down quickly and it will become a pain in the a$$ to ride.
Future teller!
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
79 posts
10 upvotes
I updated the first post after reading the replies here.

@Toukolou: At the moment I was pissed that my phone was broken after this happened. I wanted to call a friend to pick me up as it was a long walk home. The priority is was not to keep my phone working perfectly while cracking my skull open. I am glad I didn't smack my head on the pavement or anything like that. Thank you for assuming otherwise though.

@Conquistador: Maybe I worded it wrongly, not sure why you are telling me to grow the f*** up tough guy. See above.

@Hugh Jass: I don't think Samsung is responsible for the bike falling apart. I don't want to contact Samsung. Also I didn't know it was so cheap as I didn't buy it originally. It was in our house from a previous roommate that moved overseas. He used it several times and left it here. All 3 of us use it from time to time. Again I had no clue it was a cheap piece of **** and I didn't think to research the company before I got on the bike. It was more like oh the weather is nice let's go out for a bike ride (me and 2 others).
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10432 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
Stuff happens my friend. Chalk this one up to experience. As Obama said in his speech, pick yourself up, dust yourself off...
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
79 posts
10 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2012 11:06 pm
Stuff happens my friend. Chalk this one up to experience. As Obama said in his speech, pick yourself up, dust yourself off...

Indeed, I am never getting on a bike that is not mine ever again!

EDIT: Added pics
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3222 posts
706 upvotes
Judging from the pictures it looks like this bike was ridden hard and a lot.

A car may only be 1 year old, but if you are driving 500km every day on it, it probably has more wear than some who has put only 5,000 km on it all year.

Sorry you got hurt though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5806 posts
495 upvotes
London
Is that mud or rust?

It doesn't really look like a spot I would expect component failure though..
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20181 posts
1465 upvotes
Given the dirt on the bike, a case of negligence is likely. Always clean your cranks and frame after riding though crap.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
that bike look like it has been ridden plenty of times, and not 4 times like you say.
I have beaten my bike in road races and never would think anything would break off, but again the parts including the crank axle are campagnolo parts.
× < >