• Dec 30th, 2005 1:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 11, 2004
605 posts
1 upvote

Bidet - where to buy and how hard to install

Hi - I was wondering if anyone here currently has a bidet installed on their toilet. Where did you buy?? How much and did you install this yourself?? How hard was the installation.

Never tried these before (even in a more upscale hotel) but I was hoping this would be more hygenic.
11 replies
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11266 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
wju2004 wrote:Hi - I was wondering if anyone here currently has a bidet installed on their toilet. Where did you buy?? How much and did you install this yourself?? How hard was the installation.

Never tried these before (even in a more upscale hotel) but I was hoping this would be more hygenic.
You should definitely try before you buy.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14379 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
^^agree^^

Its a wierd feeling...and u need towels handy.

Its like washing yer uglies with a shower nozzle, built in a toilet.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
[OP]
Aug 11, 2004
605 posts
1 upvote
Really?? Didn't know there was so much pressure involved in washing the privates....Are there any hotels around the GTA where I might take the wife and kid to *ahem* check this out first? Don't suppose there are any upscale restaurants that have these??
Dec 10, 2005
37 posts
if you go to highend homes (around the 1 million dollar mark) in the GTA area, most of the master bedrooms have bidets installed. You can try it out there.

Go to an open house on a weekend of a highend home (usually summer is better than winter for open house events)... and check them out.

I find the Asian style bidet (which attaches to a regular functioning toilet) uses less water, and easier to use on a daily basis. You get to clean yourself without moving over to the bidet bowl.

The north american style bidets that are commonly found in the GTA homes have quite a bit of water pressure, and use a lot of water.. and more cumbersome to use as it's not an all =in-one deal as in Asia.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2004
605 posts
1 upvote
Thanks - I was thinking of the *Asian* style bidet. Although it'd be kind of weird to check out the bidets at an open house wouldn't it?? Is there a reputable company that anyone knows of that sells this in the GTA?? Surely they must have some models to *check* out (without really using them)!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6513 posts
199 upvotes
You are talking about the super fancy japanese toilet seats? Built in temperature control, heater, warm air, etc? They aren't hard to install.
Dec 10, 2005
37 posts
wju2004 wrote:Thanks - I was thinking of the *Asian* style bidet. Although it'd be kind of weird to check out the bidets at an open house wouldn't it?? Is there a reputable company that anyone knows of that sells this in the GTA?? Surely they must have some models to *check* out (without really using them)!
What you can do is flush the bidet (without using it), as you would a toilet to see whether the plumbing works.... Each brand is slightly different.

But you won't see an asian bidet in the GTA high end homes, unless of course an Asian has installed it before selling their home. I think the Asian style bidets are much better than the North American bidets.

I believe people sometimes use the North American bidet for hemmorrhoids, sitz(?sp?) baths, and washing their feet, cause it's like a low bowl. I guess it depends what you want to use the bidet for.

To buy an Asian bidet and install them, I know you can check out the major Asian stores/malls. Chinese, Korean etc.
Oct 13, 2004
272 posts
9 upvotes
Bidets are common in countries where water is very expensive. There, instead of taking a shower, they use the bidet for anything below the waist including feet and use the sink for waist up washing.

If you want to feel clean, just hop in the shower. You can quickly wash your feet, or other places, with the shower head. This way, you don't need extra space for the bidet in your bathroom either.

Those million dollar homes with bidets are for owners with way more dollars than sense.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14379 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
surfingfordeals wrote:What you can do is flush the bidet (without using it), as you would a toilet to see whether the plumbing works....
Uhh, wouldn't this spray water all over the bathroom?
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Dec 10, 2005
37 posts
mlc2000 wrote:Uhh, wouldn't this spray water all over the bathroom?
no - but a spray of water will come up a bit, so you may not want to stick your face 2 inches from the bidet.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8836 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
your kids, dogs, cats may think it is a big water fountain..
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."