Careers

Big 4 Private Client Services exit opportunities?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:25 am
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
4 posts

Big 4 Private Client Services exit opportunities?

Hello,

So I got an offer (and accepted it) for Big 4 Audit in Private Client Services.

After doing much research, I concluded the following is what I know about PCS (compared to working on public clients): - hours are not as brutal, but deadlines are spaced out and so longer "busy" season - clients tend to be messier - more broad exposure and thus see many different industries - possibly more travel depending on the office - more tight-knit team since smaller team

My question is: are my exit opportunities limited to private companies? What if I wanted to switch to public clients within the Big 4 after 1 year, is that realistic?
I want to make sure I do not limit myself to private companies as my exit opportunities.

Any input is much appreciated!
Last edited by shaqmac on Oct 9th, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3253 posts
241 upvotes
Calgary
shaqmac wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 9:21 pm
Hello,

So I got an offer (and accepted it) for Big 4 Audit in Private Client Services.

After doing much research, I concluded the following is what I know about PCS (compared to working on public clients): - hours are not as brutal, but deadlines are spaced out and so longer "busy" season - clients tend to be messier - more broad exposure and thus see many different industries - possibly more travel depending on the office - more tight-knit team since smaller team

My question is: are my exit opportunities limited to private companies? What if I wanted to switch to public clients within the Big 4 after 1 year, is that realistic?
I want to make sure I do not limit myself to private companies as my exit opportunities.

Any input is much appreciated!
Your exit opportunities should fairly similar, private or public. In the end, other than certain regulatory/compliance requirements that would be applicable to public companies, you're still being exposed to many varying businesses and should be able to apply those skills elsewhere. There's also nothing that stops you from looking to get exposure to public clients as well once you're established. You just have to ask.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1050 posts
261 upvotes
Alberta
TotallyKiller wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:25 pm
Your exit opportunities should fairly similar, private or public. In the end, other than certain regulatory/compliance requirements that would be applicable to public companies, you're still being exposed to many varying businesses and should be able to apply those skills elsewhere. There's also nothing that stops you from looking to get exposure to public clients as well once you're established. You just have to ask.
Agreed you can talk to your coach on getting assigned to some public clients as well. Once you're in the firm mobility between departments is not too difficult.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
4 posts
I agree I have heard that from others. Thanks!
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
4 posts
Especially when a private company wants to go public then I assume I will be the one working on it as it will not be transferred to another department