Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Big outdoor playgrounds in Toronto

Does anyone have any recommendations for big outdoor playgrounds? The biggest I've found is in High Park. I'm hoping to find something in the northern half of the city, but every park I've checked out has a fairly standard playground.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
I can't think of any that are bigger than High Park, that is pretty unique but there is always the Beaches, there is a castle there but on a smaller scale. The plus there is you have the beach/lake a couple of minutes away.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
My kids (aged 6) and I remain unimpressed with the tiny playgrounds seemingly meant only for toddlers in this city. High Park isn't bad, but it's a bit out of the way. Bumping this in the hopes of finding something more suitable and/or in the north part of the city.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39750 upvotes
Toronto
maybe just a nice conservation area instead. my boy is 4.5 and already seems bored with some of the really safe playground equipment. if i take him to a forest nearby though he has a blast. running, climbing, etc.

i really hope Ontario Place reopens with a decent children's play area. it used to be one of the best!

[IMG]http://www.playle.com/pictures/SCVIEW221899.jpg[/IMG]
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Dufferin Grove is the best playground in the city, just be sure to take a change of clothes and towels, you'll know why when you get there. And for the adults, fresh brewed coffee, baked goods all made on site. Not to mention snacks for the kids are all for sale right there.

I will agree with the post above stating that parks become boring quickly, take the kids out into nature and they will run all day long. My favourite in-city nature walk is along Etobicoke creek, the highlight is that fossils can be found everywhere you look. We take rain boots and wade into the river where it is calm. We never go home with fewer fossils and rocks than we can carry, I've starting bringing a back pack to make it easier on me. There is free parking in the ravine off Parklawn/Prince Edward, then follow the path and duck into the river bank wherever it is clear.

I have no idea why I am posting this here as I am probably opening the flood gates to the suburban crowd, I'm just a sucker for seeing happy kids and excitement in their eyes.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
@ Owen public school in North York (bayview/York mills area) there's 3 decent playgrounds literally within the same field

plus there's also some permanent hockey nets/low boards setup (small rink like spaces) if your kids want to play hockey, just bring some sticks and a ball and you're set
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. We're going to check out Dufferin Grove Park today, although it doesn't look much more exciting than your typical playground.

I'm just very surprised and disappointed that there's nothing more exciting in one of the largest cities in North America. Why aren't there more impressive play structures around? I'm guessing out of fear of lawsuits that kids might hurt themselves? But it seems impossible to even find a slide more than 10 feet high.