Big repair bill

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2008 10:45 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 3, 2007
45 posts

Big repair bill

My Subaru has just been out of its manufacturer's warranty for 3 months and when I took it to the dealer for regular maintenance they said a problem has been found on the vehicle (they explained but I didn't understand what they were talking about) and the estimated cost is $2700! I wanted to take it away and have other autoshops look at it and was told that they already started working on it and I would have to pay $600 for the work. I didn't know what to do so I just left it there.

Is there anything I can do at this point if I suspect that they are overcharing me?

Thanks a lot.
30 replies
Dec 12, 2003
669 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
call up Subaru Canada and complain. i know Honda and Toyota call center can offer good will credit to good customer.
Dec 31, 1969
Well I think that the 600 is their problem not yours. If you clearly did not authorize the work to begin with then you should not be help responsible for their actions.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
if you did not authorize them to do work or sign any contracts stating that you are letting them do work, then its their problem.
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1807 posts
23 upvotes
You're supposed to sign a work order allowing them to begin work. If they didn't make you sign anything, then that's their problem. Complain to management, and then Subaru Canada if that doesn't work. Seems like they waited til your car was out of warrenty before finding this "problem".
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2813 posts
26 upvotes
Just tell them they had no authorization to do any work and that you want your car back.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
From the sounds of it, iamhuman probably gave them the go-ahead because he/she thought they were already out $600. Hopefully this is not the case and iamhuman can raise hell, I know I would if I were in the same position.

The sad thing is the Subaru dealership probably knew about this work and was just waiting for the warrenty to end. Cadillac tried soemthing similer with my dad but unfortunetly for them their paper work showed his warrenty as being exppired buy his warenty(in his glove box) still had another year left on it. Cadilla got a nice bill at the end of the repairs :)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Pay them that $100 diagnostic fee, and not a penny more.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IoannI wrote: Well I think that the 600 is their problem not yours. If you clearly did not authorize the work to begin with then you should not be help responsible for their actions.
That's the law in Ontario. OP is in B.C. Who knows what the rules are over there?
Oct 3, 2007
45 posts
Thanks a lot! I can't recall signing anything before they started to work on the "problem", but I was shocked about the huge repair cost and got talked into agreeing to do the repair =( Next time I will be more careful.

So at this point I should call up Subaru customer service? And is there any "evidence" of malpractice that I can show to them? Knowing nothing about cars I couldn't prove that the problem wasn't there before. Thanks again.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1807 posts
23 upvotes
All you can do is say it wasn't your intention to repair it right away, and that you were pressured/forced to pay up after they had started the work without your authorization. They NEED to tell you first what the problem is and must have your consent before starting the repair.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
FYI, the many subaru dealerships charge about $600 for any (IIRC) 48,000km check (meaning 48k, 96k, 144k, etc). That's what it says in the owners manual but it's negotiable. If you don't negotiate though, you better believe they'll charge you that price.

If it was one of these items, you will be on the hook for it.

It is very important that you find out exactly what is wrong with the vehicle, what work has already been done on it and what they want to do.

I'm thinking there's about an 80% chance that the $600 was already agreed to by you considering the amount of information you have.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Jan 10, 2008
495 posts
27 upvotes
iamhuman wrote: Thanks a lot! I can't recall signing anything before they started to work on the "problem", but I was shocked about the huge repair cost and got talked into agreeing to do the repair =( Next time I will be more careful.

So at this point I should call up Subaru customer service? And is there any "evidence" of malpractice that I can show to them? Knowing nothing about cars I couldn't prove that the problem wasn't there before. Thanks again.
You may have not signed anything but looks like they got your verbal agreement. Although its your word against theirs, I'm usually a man of my words and I would eat the $600. Too bad in this case.

What was the $600 for? Was it for regular check up maintenance which is usual? I don't see how they can diagnose something for $600? What is the problem with your car that costs so much to fix?
Jan 10, 2008
495 posts
27 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: From the sounds of it, iamhuman probably gave them the go-ahead because he/she thought they were already out $600. Hopefully this is not the case and iamhuman can raise hell, I know I would if I were in the same position.

The sad thing is the Subaru dealership probably knew about this work and was just waiting for the warrenty to end. Cadillac tried soemthing similer with my dad but unfortunetly for them their paper work showed his warrenty as being exppired buy his warenty(in his glove box) still had another year left on it. Cadilla got a nice bill at the end of the repairs :)
Please explain to me why they would want to wait for the warranty to expire and then tell you the problem?

Dealerships (almost all I know except some Benz dealerships) are NOT owned by the car manufacturers. They are private. Either they bill you or the manufacturer makes no difference to them anyways. Maybe except for the markup for parts and a little labour. I doubt they do that just to make that margin.
Nov 10, 2007
94 posts
6 upvotes
What's the name of the dealership?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Bazooka Joe wrote: FYI, the many subaru dealerships charge about $600 for any (IIRC) 48,000km check (meaning 48k, 96k, 144k, etc).
This may be an aside from the OP's issue, but what is covered in the $600 service? What do they replace and what do they just check?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
hightech wrote: This may be an aside from the OP's issue, but what is covered in the $600 service? What do they replace and what do they just check?
It's total BS and a ripoff - I've done all the work myself and just saved receipts in case a warranty issue came up - it didn't and the car is out of warranty now anyway *I'm not endorsing doing this yourself, just throwing that out there for information purposes*

Taken from Page 23 of the Warranty/Maintenance and Roadside Assistance Booklet:

At 48,000km

All items listed at 6,000km and 24,000km services plus

Replace engine coolant
Replace spark plugs
Inspect accessory drive belts
Inspect PCV valve and replace if necessary
Inspect all hydraulic brake and clutch lines
Replace brake fluid
Inspect all emissions related hoses and connections

At 24,000km

Replace air filter (yeah right, mine was spotless at 24000 and only barely needed changing at 48000)
Rotate tires and inspect for wear - perform wheel alignment if necessary
Lubricate all weather strips including sun roof
Service and lubricate front and rear calipers
Inspect brake pads and linings
Inspect, service and adjust parking brake system
Inspect all steering and suspension components
Inspect and service battery cables and terminals
Test engine coolant for strength and inspect hoses and clamps
Reset Engine Control Management System

At 6,000km

Replace oil and filter
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels including both differentials
Inspect and adjust tire pressures
Inspect operation of all lights, washers and wipers
Inspect and adjust clutch clearance (if applicable)
Inspect and adjust drive belt tension
Inspect axle boot condition
Lubricate all latches, hinges and locks
Road test vehicle.

(that was a lot more typing than I inteded to do.)
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Oct 3, 2007
45 posts
Thanks again for the suggestions. I do plan to suck up that $600 because I had already agreed to let them carry on with the work after learning about the "problem" and the work already performed so it's too late for that now. What I am wondering is whether I should complain to Subaru about the car itself, that it should require such a big repair when it's merely 3 months out of its warranty period and low mileage (50000 km) ... assuming that the problem didn't exist during the warranty period. Cheers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
iamhuman wrote: Thanks again for the suggestions. I do plan to suck up that $600 because I had already agreed to let them carry on with the work after learning about the "problem" and the work already performed so it's too late for that now. What I am wondering is whether I should complain to Subaru about the car itself, that it should require such a big repair when it's merely 3 months out of its warranty period and low mileage (50000 km) ... assuming that the problem didn't exist during the warranty period. Cheers.
Wait until you get the car back, then look at the work order and tell us what they actually did...