Entertainment

Big screen two-film Dune reboot has a director (Denis Villeneuve) and writer (Eric Roth)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 5:47 am
[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8472 upvotes
GTHA

Big screen two-film Dune reboot has a director (Denis Villeneuve) and writer (Eric Roth)

Arrival director Denis Villeneuve signs on to helm Dune reboot
http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-1/dune-denis-villeneuve
A big-screen reboot of the sci-fi classic Dune has been kicking around development for a while, and now the project has locked in one heck of a good director.

Denis Villeneuve, who directed the modern sci-fi masterpiece Arrival, has signed on to tackle the all-new Dune. Dune author Frank Herbert's son Brian confirmed the deal, which came on the heels of Legendary Pictures' purchase of the film and TV rights to the Dune franchise.

Details are scarce, but with Villeneuve at the helm, it stands to reason we'll be trading in at least some of the camp for a more serious adaptation of Herbert's cult hit novel about a world where civilizations rise and fall in a quest to control the mythical spice.

David Lynch's Dune adaptation hit the big screen in 1984 and starred Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides. Critics hated it at the time, and the film was admittedly kind of a mess, but it's still something of a cult hit. Syfy also adapted the story into a miniseries in 2000, followed by a Children of Dune miniseries in 2003, both of which did gangbusters in the ratings. So there's little doubt that there's still a sci-fi audience out there wanting to see more from Dune.

The studio hasn't announced a timeline, but it stands to reason Villeneuve could tackle this project once he wraps up work on Blade Runner 2049, which opens in October.
Anyone wanting to see more from Dune?
Last edited by tk1000 on Feb 1st, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
29 replies
[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8472 upvotes
GTHA
Redsanta wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 9:03 pm
arrival is a snoozefest
Blade Runner 2049 should not be a snoozefest Winking Face
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10738 posts
1063 upvotes
Mississauga
I really like the Dune series. Game of Thrones in space, if you will, although the Dune novels were written earlier. The later novels get really weird though. The first novel is the easiest to adapt to film as it has a traditional storyline arc.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
10104 posts
2311 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 9:10 pm
Blade Runner 2049 should not be a snoozefest
The first BR was a snoozefest for me but to be fair I haven't seen Villeneuve's 'Prisoners' nor 'Sicario' so who knows?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
444 upvotes
Would love nothing more than to see this succeed. This show would have a huge following if they poured money into it and did it right. Problem is it needs to be a series, not a movie. Too much content and little arc stories all over the place
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4054 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
A cult hit? The book was a cult hit. That movie was a joke. I really hope they can make a good movie based on that book.
Ebay (462-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11050 posts
1009 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
jenviea wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 7:11 am
The first BR was a snoozefest for me
I heard the same thing from someone else, and I figure it was because she watched the director's cut. I've always preferred the theatrical version, with voiceover.
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
330 upvotes
The David Lynch movie version of Dune is unfairly dismissed - he did a great job of capturing the book. If his full three hour version hadn't been re-edited by the producer, it would have likely been the definitive version.

(The Atlantic magazine published a great piece on this: The Messy, Misunderstood Glory of David Lynch's Dune.)

Redsanta wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 9:03 pm
arrival is a snoozefest
Agreed. Although I liked Villeneuve's earlier movies, Arrival was an overrated and manipulative misfire. It is a particularly bad sign for the outcome of his adaptation of Dune.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1240 posts
94 upvotes
Speaking of dune, if you haven't seen the documentaryJodorowsky’s dune then Do yourself a Jodorowsky’s and watch it. It's mind bendingly good.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8472 upvotes
GTHA
Variety reports that Eric Roth, who won an Oscar for his adapted screenplay for Forrest Gump, has been hired to adapt the Frank Herbert novel Dune for director Denis Villeneuve. Roth also wrote The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Insider, Munich, Ali, and many, many more. So even though you say the words “Forrest Gump” and some people get nauseous, Roth is still a writer who is respected and has worked with some of the best filmmakers of all time: Fincher, Mann, Spielberg, and Zemeckis, just to name a few.

from http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-dune-mov ... 1794046167
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
330 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 8:46 pm
Roth also wrote The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Insider, Munich, Ali, and many, many more.
Personally, I didn't like one of those four movies myself and he also wrote the terrible Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. However, I did enjoy Gump and he wrote the great 80's thriller Suspect.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3669 posts
1387 upvotes
The original flopped because it was way outside of mainstream - what makes them so sure this wont also flop? There is Science Fiction, and Dune is just weird even for Science Fiction
[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8472 upvotes
GTHA
Villeneuve Offers An Update On “Dune”
http://www.darkhorizons.com/villeneuve- ... e-on-dune/
Prior to departing for the Cannes Film Festival, Villeneuve spoke with Quebec publication La Press and confirmed (via Reddit translation) the script’s status and confirmed that it will be a two-film adaptation:

“Eric Roth has written the first draft and then I worked on it on my side. I have not had such fun creatively since “Incendies”. I wish I could direct both movies at the same time but it would have been too expensive. We’ll do them one at a time.”

Villeneuve adds that he plans to start pre-production on the film ‘soon’. He previously indicated the project would ultimately take two years to make.
Jun 5, 2017
580 posts
56 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
im excited for this. Dennis is a fantastic director and story teller.