Parenting

Bike seat for child - to attach to my bike.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2011 10:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto

Bike seat for child - to attach to my bike.

Does anyone have any feedback on bike seats for kids? I'm debating between getting one of these or the trailer attachment.
With the seat, I'm also debating between the rear-attached and front-attached.

From reading the net it appears a lot of people prefer the ones with the kid located at the front.

I want to bike to work but I also have to drop off my [2 yr old] daughter at daycare. Daycare is about 4kms away so very short ride, and mostly on paved paths.

Looking for feedback.
Mods: Please don't move this to sports - I'm looking for parental feedback.
--
There is no happy ending
9 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
What about a bike with a child seat/carrier already part of the bike, not attached?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2883 posts
2275 upvotes
Toronto
Front carrier (WeeRide):

Pros:
- you and the kid can easily talk to each other
- kid has a better view vs. staring at your sweaty back
- easier to balance (weight is closer to centre of bike)

Cons:
- seat is in the way of your knees, so you have to pedal with the heels of your feet and spread out your knees (i.e. "cowboy style")
- you have to sit upright. If you lean forward too much, the kid's helmet will hit your chest.

I've used a WeeRide for years and it's great and comfortable (kid has fallen asleep in it many times) but you're limited to how fast you can go since you have to pedal "cowboy style", so it's better for recreational vs. commuter biking, but you probably shouldn't go like a speed demon when you have a kid with you.

I got a lot of compliments and stares the first few summers, but they are pretty popular now.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
I also had the weeride a few years ago, and it was great. My son would even fall asleep on in sometimes and just rest his head forwards.
shaka braddah!
Jun 14, 2011
2 posts
TORONTO
We are using the front bike seat of the Dutch brand Bobike and are super happy with the quality and performance. It is very light- not bulky, but sturdy and is approved in Europe for safety. In fact- we did some research and 90% of Dutch parents use this brand for transporting their kids. It is for the kids untill 3 years old or depending on the child up to 33lb. (Our daughter is 3 now and still fits perfectly). We bought ours at this webshop weelike2bike.ca and it was very easy to install. You can also buy separate mounting bracket to switch between two bikes (e.g. if your husband also wants to take your daughter on his bike). They also have the windscreen that you can attach to the same bracket as the bike seat, which I think is a great idea- we are thinking of buying one for when it gets colder. Good luck with your decision!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3731 posts
16344 upvotes
TORONTO
Sylvestre wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2011 10:52 am
Does anyone have any feedback on bike seats for kids? I'm debating between getting one of these or the trailer attachment.
With the seat, I'm also debating between the rear-attached and front-attached.

From reading the net it appears a lot of people prefer the ones with the kid located at the front.

I want to bike to work but I also have to drop off my [2 yr old] daughter at daycare. Daycare is about 4kms away so very short ride, and mostly on paved paths.

Looking for feedback.
Mods: Please don't move this to sports - I'm looking for parental feedback.

If you are interested in the trailer types then Canadian Tire has one for sale; http://imgboot.com/images/stephroll/dsc00439.jpg

Personally I like the idea of the front bike seat myself. Let us know what you decide and how you like it. ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1398 posts
76 upvotes
i have been looking at these and picked up a seat from walmart $50 and a trailer from costco $70

The seat is okay, but flimsy, and also puts more weight on the top of the bike. I would prefer a front mounted one, but it somewhat depends on the size of the child, because rear mounted seats can usually fit a larger child.

the trailer is quite cheap at costco, being the bell fast glide. it was really easy to setup and is surprisingly robust for what it is. heavy duty nylons and velcro. the frame seems to be aluminum and also very sturdy. I have ridden bikes that are less sturdy than this.
IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ON COSTCO's website.

the trailer can also seat 2 kids and have room to spare behind the children for anything else.. groceries etc. only thing is, the trailer does not seem to come with any attachment to convert it to a stroller/jogger.

i'll be returning the child seat.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Oct 6, 2006
183 posts
27 upvotes
I have the iBert SafeT front-mount seat. My daughter's been in it since about 15 months and she loves it. In fact, she thinks my bike is her bike :)

Information on the seat is at http://www.ibertinc.com/ and to buy online in Canada http://www.trelia.ca/
We bought ours at Safety Superstore when they had 20% off.

It's pricey but made well, easy to attach. We get a lot of stares from people and motorists - may be because it's bright green! It takes a bit of adjustment to having the extra weight in front, but it's good to have that control and view of your child. I do find it difficult to ride the bike with the seat removed, though it may just be the size/ style of my bike. I'm a small person and have a cheapo mountain bike from Canadian Tire as I'm just a casual/ occasional/ recreational bike rider - rides to the park, drop off at daycare less than 1.5 km away, etc all on sidewalks and suburban road. The 'stinger' attachment still gets in the way and I usually end up hitting the inside of my knee with it when I'm turning, so I leave the seat attached even without my daughter in it.
× < >