• Apr 14th, 2018 10:49 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Bill Nye (the science guy) Saves the World, 3rd season on Netflix May 11th

Bill Nye returns to TV in 2017 with Netflix talk show
Series will refute claims from "politicians, religious leaders, titans of industry."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/b ... talk-show/
Bill-Nye-4-1-800x754.jpg
Bill Nye's social capital has been on the rise in recent years, as he has transitioned from a kid-friendly science show host to a no-nonsense defender of hard science (and bow ties). His polite aggression has appeared on talk shows, lecture halls, and comedy series, but none of his enjoyable bluster has come in his own series in some time.

Netflix has announced plans to change that with the introduction of Bill Nye Saves the World, a new Netflix-exclusive talk show series launching in spring 2017. In a Wednesday press release, Netflix described the show's aspirations to "refute anti-scientific claims that may be espoused by politicians, religious leaders, or titans of industry"—so the show is clearly aiming to maintain the junk-science battle that Nye has loudly fought in recent years.

Like his '90s TV series, the new Netflix show looks like it will provide equal parts comedy and hard science, as head writers have been hired for those elements (with comedian Mike Drucker and astronomer Phil Plait filling those respective roles). Though the press release didn't indicate how vulgar or extreme the humor may go, Nye's hilarious, frustrated-cursing turn on a 2015 episode of Inside Amy Schumer makes us hopeful that he'll veer a little blue when taking on topics like "vaccinations, genetically modified foods, and climate change."

Anyone watched the PBS show 'Bill Nye the Science Guy'?
http://billnye.com/
Last edited by tk1000 on Aug 31st, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
46 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
That's awesome. Might be enough to get me to subscribe to Netflix.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2005
16205 posts
289 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Now that's one guy I'd pay to watch. His rant on "Inside Amy Shumer" was unreal and so out of character it was awesome :)
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
Ah yeah! Bring it, Bill! Bring it!!

It's somewhat of an eye-opener by the anti-science attitude that's been permeating lately. But this being the internet it wouldn't be that surprising.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Diafel wrote: Bill Nye is just an ideologue, not a scientist. This idiot actually thinks race isn't real.
race isn't real, it is a social construct, like countries, communities or gender.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Evolution? Old earth? Climate change?

Netflix share prices may suffer as right-wing idealogues cancel their Netflix subscriptions.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
This thread should be in the Entertainment forum.
Last edited by Guest13384726 on Sep 2nd, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
Why? I don't find it very entertaining. :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Diafel wrote: Bill Nye is just an ideologue, not a scientist. This idiot actually thinks race isn't real.
He means race as a genetic division, and he's right. The science is pretty clear. It does exist as a social construct, and I have no reason to think that he disagrees. Maybe you should investigate a little before being so judgemental.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: Evolution? Old earth? Climate change?

Netflix share prices may suffer as right-wing idealogues cancel their Netflix subscriptions.
And left wing idealogues as well, I'm sure he'll go after the anti-gmo and alternative medicine crowds, and they tend to be on the other side of the spectrum.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
He's leans more on consensus than empirical science.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
475 upvotes
silky28 wrote:
race isn't real, it is a social construct, like countries, communities or gender.
And countries, communities and gender are not real?

Race is not genetic, but as you said, it's a social construct. Culture is probably far more important than genetics. However, it does not mean race is not real. In fact, social animals often compete via behaviors rather than pure genetic advantages. (disclaimer, I have no idea what Bill Nye's stand on this, so not necessarily agreeing with Diafel. )

Gender on the other hand has a big genetic component, but gender differences also is largely a social construct.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Archanfel wrote:
silky28 wrote:

Race is not genetic, but as you said, it's a social construct. Culture is probably far more important than genetics. However, it does not mean race is not real. In fact, social animals often compete via behaviors rather than pure genetic advantages. (disclaimer, I have no idea what Bill Nye's stand on this, so not necessarily agreeing with Diafel. )

Gender on the other hand has a big genetic component, but gender differences also is largely a social construct.
Countries, race, gender are all social constructs. They are not real, they are all imagined. And there is no genetic component to gender, there is a genetic component to sex. Gender is a sociological construct that attempts to redefine sex in a social context.
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
171 upvotes
KW
Would have preferred Simon Singh but otherwise looks good.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
475 upvotes
silky28 wrote:
Archanfel wrote:
silky28 wrote:

Countries, race, gender are all social constructs. They are not real, they are all imagined. And there is no genetic component to gender, there is a genetic component to sex. Gender is a sociological construct that attempts to redefine sex in a social context.
Well, I am paying my imaginary dollar to an imaginary country then. :D Unfortunately, the gun that would be pointed at my head if I don't pay the imaginary taxes is real enough. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
... claims from "politicians, religious leaders, titans of industry."
That's exactly the description of climate change
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
arm2000 wrote:
i don't think it's any secret his list of topics will include tackling the claims of the climate change deniers
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
The paper the dollar is printed on is real, sure, but what does that have to do with concepts like gender and race? Can you hold gender? can you trade race? The concepts of gender and race have not always existed and there is nothing that forces them to exist. They exist because they only exist because the concepts were conceived by a person. In that regard, if you want to consider gender and race as real than God must be real too because the same intellect that brought us gender and race also brought God.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote:
arm2000 wrote:
i don't think it's any secret his list of topics will include tackling the claims of the climate change deniers
Well I also hope he discusses the fact that the ice-core samples that this whole man-made climate change position in based on shows that, historically, global warming has pre-dated elevated carbon levels by about 1000 years. ie. why the ice core samples that suggest global warming causes elevated carbon levels actually proves that elevated carbon levels cause global warming. I've been looking into this for a while and the best the scientists have come up with is that MAYBE when global warming happened the ice cores melted and the carbon in gas bubbled up to the top before refreezing.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
arm2000 wrote:
Lol. I was talking about climate change supporters

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)