Bird courses at U of T: St George?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2012 12:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2007
20 posts

Bird courses at U of T: St George?

Hi.

I'm looking for bird half credit courses at U of T, St George campus, in the faculty of Arts & Science.

Thanks.
39 replies
Feb 11, 2007
567 posts
I was going to post this as well..
I heard Astronomy 101 is very easy.
Anyone else have anything?
Feb 11, 2007
567 posts
How was Astro 201? Was it easy? That's what I heard..
Feb 11, 2007
567 posts
Oh yeah, I just remembered this..

Ant253 taught by Prof. Danesi is an easy course.. he doesn't care about maintaining a particular class average, despite taking flack from the university.

Check if it's available during the spring term.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
2842 posts
150 upvotes
jhan wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2007 10:32 pm
Oh yeah, I just remembered this..

Ant253 taught by Prof. Danesi is an easy course.. he doesn't care about maintaining a particular class average, despite taking flack from the university.

Check if it's available during the spring term.
Not anymore. I took it last semester and the TAs were the one who made the tests. Both of them were 20% TF and 80% MC as opposed to the 100% TF before. I don't know what the average is yet though... will probably know in a few weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7382 posts
684 upvotes
Homer88 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2007 10:11 pm
Not anymore. I took it last semester and the TAs were the one who made the tests. Both of them were 20% TF and 80% MC as opposed to the 100% TF before. I don't know what the average is yet though... will probably know in a few weeks.
Are you kidding me... the course is still a bird (I took it this semester too and didn't go to classes!). Just read the book before tests, got 31/35 on the first one and I think I got perfect on our final.

Now I hope I did well on the essay... don't know about that yet.

It isn't offered in the S term though.

I've heard good things about EEB216 (Marine mammal biology or something like that), FCS290 (History of French music). Check them out. You should remember that most bird courses lose that reputation because profs don't like it.
Jan 5, 2006
889 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
ZOO304H1 Field Ornithology. Of all the courses at UofT, this is the most "bird" you can get. Otherwise, I'd say PHL245 Modern Symbolic Logic if you like that kind of thinking.
Dec 12, 2006
128 posts
FCS195
FCS290
HPS211
GLG130
CLA201
ANT 250 something lol

these are all the ones i can think of
Jan 5, 2006
889 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
HBP wrote:
Dec 25th, 2007 12:35 am
I'm planning on taking PHL245 next year, love logical thinking.

How is the marking scheme for ZOO304/what do you do?
It was a joke. Ornithology = Study of birds, hence, "bird" course. I hope you didn't take that seriously.
Jul 20, 2007
801 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi.

I'm looking for bird half credit courses at U of T, St George campus, in the faculty of Arts & Science.

Thanks.
Sniff sniff, I smell a guy trying to find an easy way into med school! :twisted:
Online discount brokerage(s) status:

=> QUESTRADE: Active (satisfied customer).
=> E*Trade Canada: Active (impressed so far).

QuesTrader (a.k.a. Uncanny Wizard, President and CEO of http://stockmagic.wordpress.com )
[OP]
Sep 21, 2007
20 posts
Thank you for your suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

Any input on CSC 104 or 108?
Feb 11, 2007
567 posts
netcom wrote:
Dec 25th, 2007 10:40 pm
Thank you for your suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

Any input on CSC 104 or 108?
From what I hear, CSC104 is a bird.
I just took CSC108 this past term, and I'm warning you, this is NOT a bird, two buddies of mine failed miserably..

We had to make a mini photoshop from scratch using Python language for the final project, and that was one of the easier assignments. I did manage to get a B but the course eats up LOTS of time.

MAT137's fall term materials are MUCH easier than CSC108..
Sep 23, 2006
23 posts
1 upvote
CSC108 is a breeze if you get how to program. If you don't, then it is gonna be pure hell.

I had perfectly smart friends from other faculties who took that course and failed because they couldn't wrap their head around programming. I also have friends who breezed through it without even taking a CS course in high school.

In general, I'd say it is not very birdy unless you know programming concepts and/or python already. If you don't, then you are going to invest time into learning and possibly a lot more doing the assignments. This makes it non-birdy for the non-cs inclined student.
Feb 11, 2007
567 posts
BigBob wrote:
Dec 26th, 2007 9:06 pm
CSC108 is a breeze if you get how to program. If you don't, then it is gonna be pure hell.

I had perfectly smart friends from other faculties who took that course and failed because they couldn't wrap their head around programming. I also have friends who breezed through it without even taking a CS course in high school.

In general, I'd say it is not very birdy unless you know programming concepts and/or python already. If you don't, then you are going to invest time into learning and possibly a lot more doing the assignments. This makes it non-birdy for the non-cs inclined student.
Yeah, CSC108 is supposed to be an "Intro" to programming for students with no programming background.. but the thing is there are lots of good programmers taking this course to "boost" their GPA, and it makes it tougher for non-programmer students hang with the class average.

I learned a lot from CSC108 but I probably spent around 30+ hours per assignment since I was a programming newbie.. imagine if you can't understand programming, you waste your time watching your partner do all the work and fail the course in the end, because your simply won't pass the final exam without knowing the "stuff". 25 minutes midterms were dumb as well, why introduce such a TIGHT time constraints for a CS exam? It made zero sense to me, CS should be all about taking your time and thinking about algorithms, but trying to write some buggy code fast.
Jul 2, 2006
960 posts
5 upvotes
I feel that Java should not have been replaced by Python as the introductory language. Java's API is solid and there are many decent books on Java. There are decent books on Python but I just think the syntax in Java is easier to begin with than Python.
× < >