Birth Certificate Driving From Canada Back To USA

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2018 9:52 am
[OP]
Nov 13, 2006
886 posts
492 upvotes

Birth Certificate Driving From Canada Back To USA

I have a 4 month old and want to drive from Canada to the USA and back to Canada. Both biological and birth parents will be in the car.

I have read that a passport is not needed to the baby using Google, But I want to see if any RFD members have crossed the border with only a Birth Certificate?

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5165 posts
524 upvotes
Scarborough
Get a passport for the baby, I personally would never go to a foreign country without passport.
Play it safe.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1381 posts
78 upvotes
asifnana wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 11:13 am
I have a 4 month old and want to drive from Canada to the USA and back to Canada. Both biological and birth parents will be in the car.

I have read that a passport is not needed to the baby using Google, But I want to see if any RFD members have crossed the border with only a Birth Certificate?

Thanks
get passport. end of story.
Passports for children

All Canadian children, from newborns to age 16, need their own passport to travel. Your child’s passport will be valid for a maximum of 5 years. A child’s passport is valid until it reaches its expiry date, even after the child turns 16.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2006
886 posts
492 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 12:05 pm
get passport. end of story.
Can you send the link where you read this ?
Mar 3, 2018
626 posts
398 upvotes
GTA
A passport is required when flying. Not because the TSA or Canada Customs requires it but because the airline requires it. They don’t want to pick up the tab for a return flight if someone is rejected at the border. Since you are driving it is not required. If only one parent is with the child a letter of authorization from the other parent may be asked for.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4363 posts
599 upvotes
Ottawa
Although our kids do have passport, we've crossed by car with kids with only birth certificate and / or provincial health card. As others have mentioned, you do not need a passport for land crossings for under 16.
May 16, 2017
453 posts
476 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 1:50 pm
A passport is required when flying. Not because the TSA or Canada Customs requires it but because the airline requires it. They don’t want to pick up the tab for a return flight if someone is rejected at the border. Since you are driving it is not required. If only one parent is with the child a letter of authorization from the other parent may be asked for.
From US CBP:

For Air:

"If traveling by air, an unexpired Passport is required for everyone, including infants."

For Land & Sea:

"Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate* (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card."

Note this applies only when traveling from Canadian or US territory - on a cruise that visits a 3rd-country, a passport would still be required.
Jul 5, 2004
23438 posts
2985 upvotes
A passport is not required. You'll be just fine. I've crossed many times with just a birth certificate. In fact, even adults can often get across the US border with just a birth certificate. The official policy requires a passport, but many border officers will use their discretion and may allow the person through
Apr 6, 2008
881 posts
427 upvotes
I've crossed a few times by car into the US with my 3 kids and only birth certificates for them, passports for adults. If you have no plans in the future to fly with the baby, I wouldn't bother with the expense of a passport.