Parenting & Family

Birth Certificate - Drop off at Service Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2016 7:45 am
[OP]
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes

Birth Certificate - Drop off at Service Ontario?

I've filled out the online form for a new birth certificate for our newborn. The form says to mail to Thunder Bay, but there is a Service Ontario location very close to our house. Is it possible to drop off the form there and have them process it?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2320 posts
280 upvotes
You could of submitted everything online, along with SIN, child benefits etc all in one process
[OP]
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes
After submitting online, the PDF says to sign and mail to a Thunder Bay address.
Jul 5, 2004
23784 posts
3311 upvotes
Sweet Sparrow wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 11:15 am
After submitting online, the PDF says to sign and mail to a Thunder Bay address.
I did this last January for our new born and I didn't have to mail anything. I submitted everything online.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12225 posts
4074 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes the online-only option has been available for years. I remember doing it for my younger son and he's 5 years old already. You apply for birth certificate, SIN and health card child benefits with one online application.

Edit: remembered wrong...
[OP]
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes
The last page of the pdf is the birth registration which says to mail to the Office of the Registrar General. This form doesn't need to be mailed?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1687 posts
985 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
^^^^^ If the birth has never been registered then yes you have to mail in the registration. However are you not only looking at obtaining a birth certificate obtained from records of a birth already registered?
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes
The labour was fast (15 min or less) and it was a home birth. At the hospital, we handed in the form but no name was chosen yet. Will that count as the birth registration?

As a separate question, does anyone know how long it takes to receive a bill from the ambulance and hospital?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1687 posts
985 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
^^^^^

No that registration is incomplete, you will have to submit the names on that form. As for billing you should only be getting one from the ambulance, call them and ask.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes
Both mine and my spouse's insurance covers a semi private room at the hospital but I was given a private room. I thought I would be billed for the difference.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1687 posts
985 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
They are probably billing the insurance directly. IIRC most hospitals will automatically upgrade a patient; ward to semi-private to private at no additional cost if the larger room (more patients) is not available.