• Jun 30th, 2007 7:55 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes

Birth Certificate laminated

i went to the passport office with a laminated birth certificate and they told me it was void (if laminated or alternated as instructed on the birth certificate) and instructed me to go obtain a new one before registering for a passport.

they also told me i can't just peel off the laminate and that I MUSt get a new one. So i went home and peeled it off and it looks pretty decent.

My concern is that I was told your birth certificate should 'fold open' into a full sheet of paper. After i ripped off the laminate it doesn't seem or appear that mine will open up.

Any advice?
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
61 upvotes
you can try again.... worse case is that you'll waste a trip and time.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Get a new copy online. The Ontario gov't guarantees something like a 10 day turn around time...
[OP]
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
how about the fold open thing?

Mine is just a small piece of paper.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jun 26th, 2007 11:55 am
Get a new copy online. The Ontario gov't guarantees something like a 10 day turn around time...
I really dont want to.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You're going to have to at some point as what you did clearly voided the birth certificate as a form of ID. No gov't agency is going to accept it now as a form of ID...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4045 posts
12 upvotes
Cambridge
Funny that at one time they came laminated from the Gov't.

Different versions over the years are foldout or non-foldout so you can't tell just by asking opinions, it will depend on when yours was issued.

Looks like you are in for a new card :(
[OP]
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
there is no way for them to tell me it has been laminated.
Dec 25, 2003
658 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary
Wierd, my card has been laminated since I known and I have had no problems with it. Mind you, I am in Alberta...

I used my laminated BC to apply for a Passport a few months ago and had no problems. Maybe that person didn't like you lol.

As, the other poster said, there are a few BC that is laminated already including mine which is an Ontario one.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ahhh... but that is only your opinion sexpuppet. The opinion that counts is that of the gov't office employee or person you are trying to get to accept it as a valid form of ID.

What I don't get is why on earth did you laminate it in the first place. It clearly says on it if you laminate it it will be void.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
omagedon wrote:
Jun 26th, 2007 2:01 pm
Wierd, my card has been laminated since I known and I have had no problems with it. Mind you, I am in Alberta...

I used my laminated BC to apply for a Passport a few months ago and had no problems. Maybe that person didn't like you lol.

As, the other poster said, there are a few BC that is laminated already including mine which is an Ontario one.
In Ontario, they haven't issued laminated birth certificates since at least 1989 when our oldest was born. Mine and hubby's are laminated and much older. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
36 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jun 26th, 2007 2:04 pm
In Ontario, they haven't issued laminated birth certificates since at least 1989 when our oldest was born. Mine and hubby's are laminated and much older. :cheesygri
i still have my laminated one.. and it is still a valid piece of ID
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14317 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
sexpuppet6000 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2007 11:56 am
I really dont want to.
Too bad. Do your homework before you go to a government office.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
[OP]
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
my dad told me they laminated it when it was given to him. so its the governments fault!
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Somehow I doubt that story. If it clearly says it cannot be laminated it wasn't.. :rolleyes: And the ones that are laminated from the gov't, it cannot be "peeled off"...
× < >