• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 9:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 11, 2010
47 posts
Surrey

Birth Control method

What is the best birth control method for woman? My husband ask me to do IUD and it seems like the most effective way. Anyone care to share their opinion? I have two friends, both of their husband has vasectomy and i wonder why they didnt do the IUD. Both of them has no problem during the time giving birth
32 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15406 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
IUDs have to be implanted and then removed if you're planning to get pregnant later. My ex had one and while it was fine most of the time, both of us could feel it during certain activities. A vasectomy is a much cleaner option, and I'm planning to get in the next few years when the missus and I have a kid. I'd have just frozen some sperm and gotten it done already if she wasn't so opposed to that.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13297 posts
721 upvotes
Before kids - wife on pill
Middle Period - non-latex condom
Now Vasectomy
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1001 upvotes
An iud is a great option is either of you think there is a remote chance you may want to have another child. But they do have to be removed and replaced every few years. So if you guys are absolutely certain you don't want more kids a vesctemy is the way to go.

If your husband is really against having a vescetemy I would just go for the iud now but make it clear when it's time for the iud to be replaced that he will need to seriously consider a vesectemy.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10035 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
My friend had a vasectomy and said there are 'effects' for sure. At least he notices it and told me to really consider the impact and effects of it.
Nov 6, 2011
291 posts
86 upvotes
I have been using Depo Provera for 11 years and over my dead body would I get off of it. I'm married so have never used protection during that time and have never had a scare or any issue. I have not had a period since 2005 and that has changed my life.
Sep 3, 2013
752 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Wow IUD is still being recommended? I had no idea... that seemed extinct. I recommend Nuva ring if you tend to forget taking the daily pill; could be pleasurable and you only insert/remove once per cycle. The seasonal injection is good unless you tend to have side effects - you'll have side effects for 3 months.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
772 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 3:18 pm
My friend had a vasectomy and said there are 'effects' for sure. At least he notices it and told me to really consider the impact and effects of it.
Why guys must suffer by cutting their balls...
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
livingwealth wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 12:34 pm
What is the best birth control method for woman? My husband ask me to do IUD and it seems like the most effective way. Anyone care to share their opinion? I have two friends, both of their husband has vasectomy and i wonder why they didnt do the IUD. Both of them has no problem during the time giving birth
OP, instead of asking on RFD, hows about using the BC Health Department. They have the training, experience and have to keep up to date on contraindications. They will even talk to you by telephone at 811
https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/hw237864
:)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2662 posts
1296 upvotes
Canadia
livingwealth wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 12:34 pm
My partner has been using an IUD for the past few years. They're far more common in Europe than North America (because there were some flawed models sold here in the 1980s).

She absolutely swears by it after experiencing severe menstrual cramping for years which was almost eliminated as a side-effect of the IUD. It feels natural, without worrying about artificial hormones or condoms.

Side comment: the installation/extraction experience is not pleasant.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5785 posts
900 upvotes
TheRed wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 7:43 pm
Why guys must suffer by cutting their balls...
You have never witnessed a child birth I take it? There is absolutely no comparison between what a woman goes through for that vs a man getting a vasectomy.

My vasectomy was over in 5 minutes. Walked in, walked out and went for lunch. Never even took a painkiller for it
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1040 posts
157 upvotes
I'm with Gutty. As far as surgeries go vasectomies are easier than even a visit to the dentist. That said I do get soreness every now and then since the surgery. But definitely worth it as the best form of birth control.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2521 posts
2032 upvotes
Vancouver
Clacker wrote:
Jan 8th, 2017 7:11 pm
I'm with Gutty. As far as surgeries go vasectomies are easier than even a visit to the dentist. That said I do get soreness every now and then since the surgery. But definitely worth it as the best form of birth control.
I had mine more than 10 years ago and I only had a bit of soreness on the day after. Never since.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13297 posts
721 upvotes
While vasectomies can be easy. It isn't a guarantee. I went for a no scalpel version. No issues to start. First side no issue. Second side was a problem. 10 minutes later he had no idea what the issue was and we stopped. Needless to say with all the extra poking and prodding internally I was quite sore for a few days.

A few months later booked traditional vasectomy to complete the process. When I arrived they hadn't booked the proper room and time (to be put under)...so I said just do it with a local. No real issue and a few minutes later it was done.

He did mention that there was a lot more connective tissue than typical and that was the reason for the challenges the first time.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5107 posts
476 upvotes
You have to look at what the best birth control for YOU is. What's best for me isn't necessarily what's best for you or another woman. It's a conversation you should be having with your Dr.