• Dec 17th, 2017 10:55 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4451 posts
585 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:51 am
Thank you. Do you have any recommendations on which wallet to get?
Bitcoin core + Armory

Google it.
Dec 30, 2014
297 posts
57 upvotes
booming
Pursuit2013 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:51 am
Thank you. Do you have any recommendations on which wallet to get?
If you go heavy get a Trezor.
If you just put one toe in get coinomi for your phone. But I would only ever trust small amounts for a short time period on my phone.
Never put your keys or seed words or pin on your computer or phone. Write them down on paper with a pen. Don't even print them. Bad guys can get your goodies off your printer now.
If you want to send btc from your coinomi to a "safer" wallet later remember that you can set a custom transaction fee.
Save some btc by setting it lower and sending on the weekend when the mempool is lower and you get the best transaction fees.
https://bitcoinfees.earn.com/
Trezor is the safest in terms of hardware wallets.
If you really go hard you need a non connected computer. This means totally offline.
Good luck!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
only bet with money you can afford to lose
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4451 posts
585 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:06 pm
crack the whip on those worker ants!!!
HODL

save3save4 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:16 pm
If you go heavy get a Trezor.
If you just put one toe in get coinomi for your phone. But I would only ever trust small amounts for a short time period on my phone.
Never put your keys or seed words or pin on your computer or phone. Write them down on paper with a pen. Don't even print them. Bad guys can get your goodies off your printer now.
If you want to send btc from your coinomi to a "safer" wallet later remember that you can set a custom transaction fee.
Save some btc by setting it lower and sending on the weekend when the mempool is lower and you get the best transaction fees.
https://bitcoinfees.earn.com/
Trezor is the safest in terms of hardware wallets.
If you really go hard you need a non connected computer. This means totally offline.
Good luck!
What ? If you go heavy go Bitcoin core + armory + Offline transaction and sign them on the other offline computer....

Trezor is nice and all until someone finds a flaw or the company running/producing it gets "hacked".
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27360 posts
1793 upvotes
Winnipeg
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:25 pm
HODL

What ? If you go heavy go Bitcoin core + armory + Offline transaction and sign them on the other offline computer....

Trezor is nice and all until someone finds a flaw or the company running/producing it gets "hacked".
do you still have the majority of your btc holding or sold off most like i did? with your asic you should have 100x my holdings. also you live in the only province in this country with cheaper power than winnipeg.
Dec 12, 2009
526 posts
25 upvotes
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:04 pm
Bitcoin core + Armory

Google it.
I still recommend trezor, it is extremely easy to use. trezor imo is worth the extra cost over nano s
Dec 12, 2009
526 posts
25 upvotes
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:04 pm
Bitcoin core + Armory

Google it.
I still recommend trezor, it is extremely easy to use. trezor imo is worth the extra cost over nano s
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4451 posts
585 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:41 pm
do you still have the majority of your btc holding or sold off most like i did? with your asic you should have 100x my holdings. also you live in the only province in this country with cheaper power than winnipeg.
Classified information.

I'm out of the loop of mining since 2 years.

What i did with mining setups in 2013-2014 were more like tests to fully understand how things worked. The rest is a nice bonus.

xuemike wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:55 pm
These wallets are good for less than 1 BTC imho.

More than that you are looking for trouble.

"easy to use" when it comes to BTC security is the lastest of priorities.
Dec 12, 2009
526 posts
25 upvotes
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Classified information.

What i did with mining setups in 2013-2014 were more like tests to fully understand how things worked. The rest is a nice bonus.

These wallets are good for less than 1 BTC imho.

More than that you are looking for trouble.

"easy to use" when it comes to BTC security is the lastest of priorities.
explain?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4451 posts
585 upvotes
xuemike wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:14 pm
explain?
For certain amount of BTC (5 BTC+) security first. Meaning offline cold storage, offline signing transaction and encrypted wallets (bitcoin core + Armory). Google it if you don't understand there is many guides and so on).

For casual spending (.1-1BTC), sure trezor and other hardware wallets are perfect. If you get stolen (virus, network attack etc.) its not the end of the world.

Every wallet you have connected to the internet is at risk.
Dec 12, 2009
526 posts
25 upvotes
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:35 pm
For certain amount of BTC (5 BTC+) security first. Meaning offline cold storage, offline signing transaction and encrypted wallets (bitcoin core + Armory). Google it if you don't understand there is many guides and so on).

For casual spending (.1-1BTC), sure trezor and other hardware wallets are perfect. If you get stolen (virus, network attack etc.) its not the end of the world.

Every wallet you have connected to the internet is at risk.
Yes I understand this.

Trezor and Nano S they are offline cold storage options. The hardware wallet stores your private keys ( and never reveal them not even to you), however the software interfaces with the Hardware wallet. So when you are signing a transaction. The software sends the transaction to your device, your device signs it and returns it to your connected device.
Dec 30, 2014
297 posts
57 upvotes
booming
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree with you and that's what I said.
"If you really go hard you need a non connected computer. This means totally offline."
I think a Trezor is fine for a moderate amount of coin. What is a moderate amount? Depends I guess and that amount is changing by the hour.
Lots of well known bitcoiners use and recommend them though.
When you have a "good amount" then yes, MAXIMUM precautions are in order.
You can never be too paranoid when it comes to btc.
If you can pull it off then safest is best but for most people a Trezor is the best of both worlds. Easy peasy.

Do you really think that a Trezor could be "hacked"? Has this ever happened that you know of?
As far as I understand it doing this would be very hard/impossible.
It's much easier for the scum to hit a pool or exchange. That is a sure 50,000,000 payout.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
only bet with money you can afford to lose
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27360 posts
1793 upvotes
Winnipeg
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Classified information.

we were using pretty cutting edge asic at the time, those were the days
Dec 12, 2009
526 posts
25 upvotes
save3save4 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:27 pm
I agree with you and that's what I said.
"If you really go hard you need a non connected computer. This means totally offline."
I think a Trezor is fine for a moderate amount of coin. What is a moderate amount? Depends I guess and that amount is changing by the hour.
Lots of well known bitcoiners use and recommend them though.
When you have a "good amount" then yes, MAXIMUM precautions are in order.
You can never be too paranoid when it comes to btc.
If you can pull it off then safest is best but for most people a Trezor is the best of both worlds. Easy peasy.

Do you really think that a Trezor could be "hacked"? Has this ever happened that you know of?
As far as I understand it doing this would be very hard/impossible.
It's much easier for the scum to hit a pool or exchange. That is a sure 50,000,000 payout.
The tezor uses open source hardware, you can actually use the schematic and desgin the exact same thing. The 24 word seed is BIPXX ( don't remember what) but AFAIK they are also interchangeble with Nano S. You can technically use the 24word seed on the nano and you'd have devices copying each other.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 1 guest)

blexann, taal, theinfamous, soul5tice