Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16680 posts
1064 upvotes
Niagara Falls
White Comet wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:21 pm
wit BTC going as crazy as it is, would it be better to get LTC instead?
Your guess is as good as anyones. If we knew the future we'd already all have thousands of BTC
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1148 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can I buy bitcoin using Amex in Canada? I know it can be done in the US using Abra, but can't find a way to do so in Canada.
Oct 10, 2006
86 posts
4 upvotes
Anyone here buying bitcoins back in 2012?

I bought 1 bitcoin off ebay and spent 0.8 of it and then forgot about it for the past 5 years but now with the price so high I remember I still have 0.2 btc still out there.

Only problem is I cant remember what kind of wallet I had or if I saved a wallet.dat file. I still have the same computer and did a complete disk recovery and nothing comes up.

Would it have been possible to recieve and send bitcoins back then without a wallet file? Only think Ive been able to find is my public key.

Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4450 posts
584 upvotes
save3save4 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:27 pm
I agree with you and that's what I said.
"If you really go hard you need a non connected computer. This means totally offline."
I think a Trezor is fine for a moderate amount of coin. What is a moderate amount? Depends I guess and that amount is changing by the hour.
Lots of well known bitcoiners use and recommend them though.
When you have a "good amount" then yes, MAXIMUM precautions are in order.
You can never be too paranoid when it comes to btc.
If you can pull it off then safest is best but for most people a Trezor is the best of both worlds. Easy peasy.

Do you really think that a Trezor could be "hacked"? Has this ever happened that you know of?
As far as I understand it doing this would be very hard/impossible.
It's much easier for the scum to hit a pool or exchange. That is a sure 50,000,000 payout.
"hacked" means the maker or the company stealing the coins and claiming to have been hacked.

Example: Mt.Gox, Nicehash (70 mil. just yesterday)
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4570 posts
486 upvotes
Teek wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:41 pm
Anyone here buying bitcoins back in 2012?

I bought 1 bitcoin off ebay and spent 0.8 of it and then forgot about it for the past 5 years but now with the price so high I remember I still have 0.2 btc still out there.

Only problem is I cant remember what kind of wallet I had or if I saved a wallet.dat file. I still have the same computer and did a complete disk recovery and nothing comes up.

Would it have been possible to recieve and send bitcoins back then without a wallet file? Only think Ive been able to find is my public key.

Any thoughts?
I think online sites like blockchain.info were around back then. Could have also been in mtgox or whatever it was called, which was an exchange.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4570 posts
486 upvotes
Anyone know why Quadragic is selling at $20,300 but other sites have BTC at $17000USD ($22,000CAD)?
Oct 10, 2006
86 posts
4 upvotes
baz5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:47 pm
I think online sites like blockchain.info were around back then. Could have also been in mtgox or whatever it was called, which was an exchange.
Its possible it was blockchain ... Ive tried recovering my login but no luck.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6691 posts
803 upvotes
baz5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:49 pm
Anyone know why Quadragic is selling at $20,300 but other sites have BTC at $17000USD ($22,000CAD)?
because you have to find people who are willing to pay real money for your bitcoin.

ever tried liquidating 1 million worth of bitcoin? You cant do it on any Canadian exchange without slipping in price and crashing the value. Hell, it takes almost a full day to sell 1 bitcoin at market price IF you can get people to buy it.

In other countries, bitcoin is over $20k USD, in some its only $15k USD. Depends on the brokerage and what people are willing to pay.

Canada's population isnt as big on bitcoin as much as other stuff like RE, so you get less buyers and sellers. In countries with less financial stability, or fear of war, etc bitcoin is a lot more expensive.

Bitcoin's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You have to have buyers or its worthless. The higher it goes, the less buyers you have.
Last edited by Buggy166 on Dec 7th, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4450 posts
584 upvotes
baz5 wrote:
Different exchanges.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4570 posts
486 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:58 pm
because you have to find people who are willing to pay real money for your bitcoin.

ever tried liquidating 1 million worth of bitcoin? You cant do it on any Canadian exchange without slipping in price and crashing the value. Hell, it takes almost a full day to sell 1 bitcoin at market price IF you can get people to buy it.

In other countries, bitcoin is over $20k USD, in some its only $15k USD. Depends on the brokerage and what people are willing to pay.

Canada's population isnt as bit on bitcoin as much as other stuff like RE, so you get less buyers and sellers. In countries with less financial stability, or fear of war, etc bitcoin is a lot more expensive.

Bitcoin's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You have to have buyers or its worthless. The higher it goes, the less buyers you have.
Yes I understand but the point is it's a pretty wide range between exchanges. I sold 10 BTC the other day on Quad and didn't notice any issues with price fluctuations.
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:58 pm
Different exchanges.
I thought for the most part they were pretty close together.
Sep 27, 2013
23 posts
13 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:33 am
You mean next week - CBOE has futures scheduled to go live Dec 10th. Let's see what side wallstreet takes :D
baz5 wrote:
demand is high no one wants to sell.. wall street coming in soon. Hodl.
Aug 8, 2010
14 posts
Hi Everyone, new to crypto but I want to start investing in ETH.

I've just spent a few hours researching and would like some help from current traders.
So it seems like there isn't much choice with regards to buying ETH in Canada.

Do I go with Kraken or QuadrigaCX? I've read horror stories for both, and it seems like a pick your poison kind of situation.
It sounds like Kraken is better if I want to buy and hodl since it's cheaper there, even though they have super high bank wire fees?

Then to get started I need to create an eWallet to hold my ETH? Something called MetaMask?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4570 posts
486 upvotes
MediocreJoker wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:24 pm
Hi Everyone, new to crypto but I want to start investing in ETH.

I've just spent a few hours researching and would like some help from current traders.
So it seems like there isn't much choice with regards to buying ETH in Canada.

Do I go with Kraken or QuadrigaCX? I've read horror stories for both, and it seems like a pick your poison kind of situation.
It sounds like Kraken is better if I want to buy and hodl since it's cheaper there, even though they have super high bank wire fees?

Then to get started I need to create an eWallet to hold my ETH? Something called MetaMask?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I've only used Quad and had absolutely no issues so far. I don't move around too often though. I used my etherwallet for ETH.
Jun 2, 2017
39 posts
7 upvotes
soul5tice wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:14 pm
demand is high no one wants to sell.. wall street coming in soon. Hodl.
+1

Add all the FOMO folks out there.
Jun 14, 2017
68 posts
9 upvotes
I managed to get equifax verified but now im trying to add cash funds to my account and it’s sayinf I need to be iD verified, do we really have to take a pic of ourselves holding up a sign “this id is for quadrigacx”? Please help let me know if there’s a work around or another site that’s better than quadrigacx

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Albuca, AhmedK005