Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2407 posts
1049 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Syne wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 6:28 am
Lots of projects like this. Vechain comes to mind.
How are your returns YTD?
Feb 1, 2017
129 posts
23 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 7:52 am
Amazingly, it's still not too late to get out. A 50% loss is better than a 100% loss.

Holders should thank their lucky stars that it's taking so long to deflate. Plenty of opportunities to exit.
Great advice to tell people to sell low especially considering Bitcoin ETFs will probably be approved soon and the NYSE is building a crypto exchange.

But these Wall St finance people are stupid to put institutional money into crypto right?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5890 posts
4144 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
phisherman wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 10:53 am
Great advice to tell people to sell low especially considering Bitcoin ETFs will probably be approved soon and the NYSE is building a crypto exchange.

But these Wall St finance people are stupid to put institutional money into crypto right?
Haha was this an old rah rah post from Jan 2018? PT Barnum and the circus left town shortly after.

But HODL!
Feb 1, 2017
129 posts
23 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 11:14 am
Haha was this an old rah rah post from Jan 2018? PT Barnum and the circus left town shortly after.

But HODL!
You don't keep up with news. You're just dumb.

I bet you're one of those that day dream about buying Amazon or Google before it got big and regretted it.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1350 posts
757 upvotes
Montreal
phisherman wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 10:53 am
They are not buying Bitcoin, they're building exchanges.

This is the difference between betting on the gold prospectors, or betting on the guy selling jeans, sieves, and shovels to the prospectors.
Feb 1, 2017
129 posts
23 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:06 pm
They are not buying Bitcoin, they're building exchanges.

This is the difference between betting on the gold prospectors, or betting on the guy selling jeans, sieves, and shovels to the prospectors.
The VanEck Bitcoin ETF will hold actual BTC.

And exchanges need actual Bitcoins to run.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1350 posts
757 upvotes
Montreal
phisherman wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:14 pm
The VanEck Bitcoin ETF will hold actual BTC.
And exchanges need actual Bitcoins to run.
But Wall Street types won't be holding Bitcoin ETF shares. I would have no problem running an ETF composed of Pets.com or BRE-X stocks, and it would hold such shares. I would have no problem buying these shares because I would be doing so at the command of my clients. But I would never buy it myself/

As for the exchanges, all they need to do is recoup their costs in fees before the bubble bursts. I'm sure the tulip exchanges and brokers made good money too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5890 posts
4144 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
FrancisBacon wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 1:47 pm
But Wall Street types won't be holding Bitcoin ETF shares. I would have no problem running an ETF composed of Pets.com or BRE-X stocks, and it would hold such shares. I would have no problem buying these shares because I would be doing so at the command of my clients. But I would never buy it myself/

As for the exchanges, all they need to do is recoup their costs in fees before the bubble bursts. I'm sure the tulip exchanges and brokers made good money too.
He’s trying to sell HODL YOLO dream while ethereum is now basically down year over year, not just down YTD.

People literally can’t cash out quick enough.

And agree selling the picks and the axes is the safe strategy in these plays...but even then you still have to get out before all your customers are broke.
Feb 1, 2017
129 posts
23 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 1:47 pm

And you would be doing so because there is a demand for it. Just because you don't see the value of it doesn't mean other people don't.

What were your thoughts during the internet bubble? Do you completely dismiss that whole sector and claimed every single one of them was worthless?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5890 posts
4144 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Sell off intensity increasing many craptos now down double digits in the last 24 hrs...

Ethereum down 17% in a day! Oh yeah businesses are gonna be lining up to price their products in this stuff.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2815 posts
529 upvotes
GTA
I am shocked that I am only down 12% overall.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1161 posts
850 upvotes
From a peak of $835B total market cap back in Januray to around $190B now for cryptocurrencies - nice ride. Market was at around $135B this time last year so still up quite a lot.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1350 posts
757 upvotes
Montreal
phisherman wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 2:47 pm
What were your thoughts during the internet bubble? Do you completely dismiss that whole sector and claimed every single one of them was worthless?
I thought most we're overvalued, which means I sold well before the top. It allowed me to book a healthy profit, though I would have made much more if I had been able to predict the exact top.

Problem is, no one is ever able to do this reliably, so holders (in a bubble environment) usually lose much more.

As it turns out, I was wrong by the way: most were not overvalued, most were worthless.

As for Google, it has profits; and Amazon at least has real sales. Overvalued? Probably. But I would hold them over Bitcoin any day.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1869 posts
203 upvotes
People who are selling right now after buying it for 20k are the same people who'll rebuy at 20k.