Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2803 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
Extrahard wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 9:46 am
Well this thread backfired badly but that's the nature of investing in general. The only people that lost were the ones screaming hodl! Did anyone here cash out near the peak? I got late into the game and only put in $100 into ETH to understand the basics first. Was going to put in a lot more and boy did i dodge a bullet. I guess the lesson here is to not mess around with things you don't understand or have time to try to understand.
You can make a ton of money off this crap still though
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2758 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
Extrahard wrote:
Well this thread backfired badly but that's the nature of investing in general. The only people that lost were the ones screaming hodl! Did anyone here cash out near the peak? I got late into the game and only put in $100 into ETH to understand the basics first. Was going to put in a lot more and boy did i dodge a bullet. I guess the lesson here is to not mess around with things you don't understand or have time to try to understand.
How many times have people said that about crypto since 2009 though? There are cycles of ups and downs, not always guaranteed to repeat but if it does then it could climb again in a year or two. Then folks will be saying the opposite yet again.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5447 posts
5567 upvotes
Extrahard wrote:
This is true for anything. Way too many people gamble instead of trading or investing - any asset class.

As an investor, I treat crypto like a revolutionary startup, so I need to wait years to find out how the projects will be viable and if it will monetize at all. Like any startup, I'm aware that this is speculative investment and that I can lose everything. Too soon to tell yet, will know in a few years.

As a trader, I profit in crypto from leveraged trading directionally (bitmex or deribit) or from arbitrage in futures, because this is a very new and inneficient market. Lots of opportunities.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2803 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleafs89 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 8:19 pm
You need facts in order to form an educated opinion. As time goes on more will become available, opinions and beliefs can change.

https://business.financialpost.com/tech ... re-he-died

I am more skeptical as days pass, but I don't like to make assumptions. I would like to see some information about whereabouts of Cottens body. If the body is nowhere to be found then I agree its definitely a scam.
Let's do a quick summary

-the cofounder with Cotten was a convicted criminal running an identity theft marketplace in the USA
-Gerry himself been running ponzi's for 10 years prior to QCX
-he married some chick in the fall (someone confirm if this is true, was it a long time GF?)
-he had the foresight to write a will to this woman he recently married, 12 days before he dies but doesn't include the private keys
-1million dollars in $ETH moved from QCX's wallets onto various exchanges in December (he died Dec. 09)
-he and this woman buys 4 properties in Nova Scotia right before he dies
-after he dies she legally transfers the ownership into a trust, protecting said properties from creditors, all before things become public and they go to court

Am I missing anything else...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5447 posts
5567 upvotes
Ticco wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 3:02 pm
Let's do a quick summary

-the cofounder with Cotten was a convicted criminal running an identity theft marketplace in the USA
-he married some chick in the fall (someone confirm if this is true, was it a long time GF?)
-he had the foresight to write a will to this woman he recently married, 12 days before he dies but doesn't include the private keys
-1million dollars in $ETH moved from QCX's wallets onto various exchanges in December (he died Dec. 09)
-after he dies she legally transfers the ownership into a trust, protecting said properties from creditors, all before things become public and they go to court

Yes, there's a link between coinwallet.eu scam and Quadrigacx - same registration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinCA/comm ... h=19b3181a

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7045 posts
6292 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Ticco wrote:
Let's do a quick summary

The truth is some pumper habits die hard. He’s playing the “well we don’t know” aka head in the sand routine and then on another post admonishing another poster for calling crypto a Ponzi scam.

He’s a pumper. Logic be damned.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2758 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 5:13 pm
The truth is some pumper habits die hard. He’s playing the “well we don’t know” aka head in the sand routine and then on another post admonishing another poster for calling crypto a Ponzi scam.

He’s a pumper. Logic be damned.
Honestly I hope it's a scam, it will push the government to regulate these basement exchanges.

If it were a fact it was a scam then there would be warrants out. Like I said it's looking worse day by day, and I'm leaning towards scam now. Partially because of reports I've seen posted in this thread by some of yourselves, reddit, and other news sources.

No need to get hostile, this is RFD, fellow keyboard warriors.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7111 posts
3318 upvotes
Kootenays
Ticco wrote:
Let's do a quick summary

Yes,
"Cotten's will names his widow as the sole beneficiary but in case of her death, $9.6-million in properties and possessions would be divided among other family members. His pet chihuahuas — Nitro and Gully — would get a $100,000 trust fund for lifelong care." https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5009625
Takes a special kind of foresight for a 30 year old to leave his dogs in his will.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2803 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 5:43 pm
Yes,
"Cotten's will names his widow as the sole beneficiary but in case of her death, $9.6-million in properties and possessions would be divided among other family members. His pet chihuahuas — Nitro and Gully — would get a $100,000 trust fund for lifelong care." https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5009625
Takes a special kind of foresight for a 30 year old to leave his dogs in his will.
Is it true though that his "wife" was someone he married in the months right before he died lol
Aug 16, 2011
356 posts
221 upvotes
OTTAWA
This and the pot bubble will be the demise of many small retail investors the next couple of years... Canopy and Alphra are trading at over 200p/e? I don't see alcohol or other vice companies getting this much hype.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1731 posts
740 upvotes
GTA
Jeremyl007 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:52 am
This and the pot bubble will be the demise of many small retail investors the next couple of years... Canopy and Alphra are trading at over 200p/e? I don't see alcohol or other vice companies getting this much hype.
Day traders are in and out daily making money so depends on who you ask, make money on way up and down.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5447 posts
5567 upvotes
Jeremyl007 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:52 am
I personally think it's soon to tell how this will work out as investment and what multiples / criteria are reasonable for valuation - for both crypto and pot. However, both are great vehicles to trade, and both respond very well to the same techniques applied to other commodities. And today there are enough mechanisms and liquidity to play both sides of the trade.

This is the same window of opportunity that dot-com companies provided 20 years ago. Strategies based on momentum works a lot easier in this space.

Rod

Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2758 posts
619 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:17 pm
https://globalnews.ca/news/4954019/quad ... d-wallets/

"The court-appointed monitor overseeing the search for the $260 million owed to clients of the QuadrigaCX cryptocurrency exchange says it recently found more than $900,000 in digital assets – only to see more than half of it escape their grasp."
Looool

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Fatsomoto8888