Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2012

Black Friday 2012, Win or Fail?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2012 9:11 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Black Friday 2012, Win or Fail?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
May 9, 2008
605 posts
22 upvotes

Black Friday 2012, Win or Fail?

What kind of loot did you score?
What kind of bodily harm did you suffer?
Did you shop US/Canada/online?

I scored only 2 microSD cards from Canada Computers.
Wanted but couldn't get - the vertex 3 from tigerdirect and the ipad from staples, so just saved money and hoping for xmas for these.

did not do any waiting in line nor went to usa, just went friday evening so no injuries as well :)

overall meh for me - lots of sales, but just a couple things for me.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2082 posts
1648 upvotes
Paradise
People have strange expectations for these type of events. Sure, they are some real stinkers out there from certain retailers, but some have solid deals as well. Take NCIX or MemoryExpress for example. Both their threads are filled with complaints and whining, because that persons specific need was not met. Sure, there might have been killer prices on a dozen different items, but because they didn't get what they wanted, the whole sale sucks. That is not a bad sale, that is just bad luck and too high expectations.

I picked up a couple USB 3.0 thumbdrives at their lowest price of the year with free shipping, a XIOS media player cheaper then I've seen it in the 6 months I've been following it, and a bunch of cables / faceplates from Monoprice that I was going to buy anyway, but saved $15 or so off the top. No huge blockbuster items for me, not because there were not good prices out there, I just didn't need them right now.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1452 posts
131 upvotes
the sears tv door crasher was good- just hope canadian boxing day is as good as last year
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7526 posts
252 upvotes
Brampton
I voted for meh....I mean you can't complain when black Friday wasn't any normal sales event for Canadians.

Went to the mall and saw many clothing stores had similar deals like boxing day just with lower % off.

Not bad when your shopping for gifts as shopping on boxing day usually means for yourself.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1181 posts
237 upvotes
Barrie
Decent enough considering. Picked up a laptop plus camera from dell and a bunch of computer parts from ME and NCIX. Most people I see complaining have high expectations.
Jan 11, 2010
788 posts
22 upvotes
I picked up an SSD wanted to get more things but didn't find anything decent on sale
Dec 18, 2007
355 posts
Mississauga
I voted for a win. I survived Wal-Mart across the border, had no wait times going or coming, declared over my limit and paid nothing. I also made a list of items I wanted and got most of them. Managed a couple of price matches at Wal-Mart. Came back with the full trunk and can actually start crossing names off my list :)
Jul 21, 2008
556 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
sovexxed wrote:
Nov 25th, 2012 8:49 pm
I voted for a win. I survived Wal-Mart across the border, had no wait times going or coming, declared over my limit and paid nothing. I also made a list of items I wanted and got most of them. Managed a couple of price matches at Wal-Mart. Came back with the full trunk and can actually start crossing names off my list :)
Yes, I concur the same for me as well. Declared my value and the border guard just waved me thru. I got most of the stuff from my list...maybe missing a few small games.
Feb 7, 2009
19 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
NCIX- Door crasher 1 dollar ear phone, apparently 97% off LOL,

Phaneuf Jersey 110, sport chek accidentally priced the jersey at 179 instead of 219 and I got additional 50% off lol!

Cannon EF 70-300mm lens 300
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2494 posts
53 upvotes
canadian tire was the only place that had decent deals this year for me.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts
Good deals in the USA. Nothing special in Canada at all.
Aug 18, 2009
378 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
wukenne wrote:
Nov 25th, 2012 9:26 pm
Yes, I concur the same for me as well. Declared my value and the border guard just waved me thru. I got most of the stuff from my list...maybe missing a few small games.
Which border crossing did you guys use?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2012
3479 posts
610 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Canada - and all I can say is WIN. BUT only because it was actually acknowledged up here and nothing more lol. Hopefully next year is better.

Sale prices weren't anything to go out of your way for but I got a few xmas gifts I needed reguardless and saved about $20-40 on them, and they were a better brand/product than what had been on sale previously for about $10 more besides.

Anyone shopping for me likely made off like bandits though lol, since the majority of things I get are games and walmart/ebgames had some decent deals going on for things I wanted ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
It was decent..picked up some stuff for an additional % off already reduced quite substantially.

It was pretty weak overall though, you really had to search. Even in the US.
× < >