Black Friday in Canada is a joke

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2012 5:58 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 1, 2005
484 posts
90 upvotes
There's isolated good deals but no earth-shattering door crashers that blow your mind. It used to be like that for Boxing Day but in recent years deals have all been warm at best. I can't remember the last deal I've seen where I had to do a double take on the price.

However, I am glad we have black friday deals now...even just a few years ago this was not common at all. Helps for christmas shopping.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28322 posts
823 upvotes
The supply chain has gotten a lot tighter, hence why these hot sales aren't so hot any more.
Hail Eris!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1820 posts
120 upvotes
They may get better "deals" but we have healthcare and our banks didn't collapse!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1061 posts
252 upvotes
Not just BF but every day shopping in Canada has become a joke. I would prefer to do more shopping in Canada but facts are my dollar goes so much further shopping in the USA. These Canadian companies have only themselves to blame. The so called landed cost of the product for shipping expenses, cross-border duty, import taxes are just a smoke screen for what is really going on. High mark-ups!. The internet has provided us consumers with so many more options. It use to piss me off but now I don't even care. I happily spend my money at places like Amazon.com where I can get the exact same product delivered to my door for 1/3 of what FS, BB or any other Canadian based store has it listed as.
Jun 1, 2008
799 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
30 million people spread out over a large space versus 300 million. It's not too hard to figure out why shipping and other costs might be higher. For the most part the cost of living in Canada is comparable to the US, perhaps slightly lower. Black Friday was never a big deal here. Thanksgiving in Canada has nowhere near the importance that it has in the US.There are advantages to living in either country. My vote remains here and that will never change. Those who want inexpensive speakers can always move south.

Philip
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1061 posts
252 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 2:46 am
30 million people spread out over a large space versus 300 million. It's not too hard to figure out why shipping and other costs might be higher. For the most part the cost of living in Canada is comparable to the US, perhaps slightly lower. Black Friday was never a big deal here. Thanksgiving in Canada has nowhere near the importance that it has in the US.There are advantages to living in either country. My vote remains here and that will never change. Those who want inexpensive speakers can always move south.

Philip
Why would anyone have to move when it's still cheaper to have it shipped?
Aug 4, 2008
140 posts
23 upvotes
MikeAK wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 2:59 am
Why would anyone have to move when it's still cheaper to have it shipped?
Probably because you cant get the best deals online.

I think im just going to get the BB storebrand 50" 1080p 120hz today.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
2019 posts
174 upvotes
ExtraHoardernaire wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 11:38 pm
why would retailers here blow their load on black friday when canadians will be looking south?
Uh, because the only reason we have black Friday in Canada is because these retailers want to try and get Canadians not to go south of the border. They are doing a piss-poor job of it.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2167 posts
831 upvotes
Montreal
Who cares it is not meant to be equivalent to our US counterpart. Just wait for Boxing Day and get some decent deals....
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2460 posts
69 upvotes
wwedx wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 8:02 pm
Most of the items have been the price before or will be this price in a few weeks :lol:
Dont think ill be picking up anything.
I totally agree that Black Friday in Canada is a big joke !
The Canadian retailers response to Black Friday USA is to blitz the media with bold ads but no real deals.
If you have been watching any items pending a purchase, you will probably notice no difference in pricing.
Retailers just don't get it here.
Black Friday Canada is a sales gimmick
Black Friday USA is a tradition !
For me, Black Friday Canada is meh !
Feb 15, 2010
370 posts
187 upvotes
Surrey
pmcd wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 2:46 am

Philip
This is the most logical response on here. Retailers up here cannot get the same economies of scale up here. Eg. If a store can plan to sell 2 million items in one state over 1 million in an entire country, ya they'll throw a few more dollars off the top. And that's not including how expensive Canada is there is truth to the shipping costs (such as the amount being shipped) and not to mention how much more regulated our country is. And you know those high prices you pay for your house? Well the stores have to pay those rent costs as well.
Apr 26, 2007
11 posts
this is funny how we're b!tchin' about the BF deals in Canada. here's something to think about... those times when they offered great deals during Boxing Days, those were the times when Canadian dollars also suck in the world market and ($1CAD = $.60USD or something close). Most of you prolly won't remember when we're all down during our own recession. So many great deals in the US right now, coz no one but the very few americans can freakin' afford them.. and here comes the Canucks saving the day. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

just be thankful today the you're in a position to ***** and complain unlike some of our friends south of the border... now where can i get a good deal on an 85" LED TV?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8256 posts
2377 upvotes
Ottawa
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 1:33 am
They may get better "deals" but we have healthcare and our banks didn't collapse!
Must be nice for you having free healthcare..I don't.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3443 posts
148 upvotes
Pickering, ON
If you don't see anything worth while, just wait for Boxing Day/Week.

Will probably be a bit better than what I'm seeing here.
× < >