Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1113 posts
267 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 1:33 am
They may get better "deals" but we have healthcare and our banks didn't collapse!
Cas77 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 9:51 am
Must be nice for you having free healthcare..I don't.
No doubt. I thought only people on welfare got free anything?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2768 posts
263 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
BigJonsson wrote:
They may get better "deals" but we have healthcare and our banks didn't collapse!
:rolleyes: :facepalm: Typical mantra from sheep Canadians trying to justify the trade-offs living up here over the USA.

These black Friday "deals" were seen weeks ago in "normal" sale flyers and we will see them again in the weeks after the new year.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes
This year the economy is worse than previous years so you might see some deals are i'm sure retailers feel it too.
Jun 1, 2008
824 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
MikeAK wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 2:59 am
Why would anyone have to move when it's still cheaper to have it shipped?
Because most things are not cheaper after shipping, warranty issues and so on ... Sure some things are, but they are rare. In addition, unless you are dealing with Amazon.com or a few other places you will have to pay HST and a handling charge for collecting the HST. Depending on what the item is there might also be duty charged.

I am not telling people not to order online from the US. I have been doing it for ages. It's just not the paradise some think it is. Try ordering a Roku Bluetooth remote and see what you end up paying.

Philip
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1113 posts
267 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 5:26 pm
Because most things are not cheaper after shipping, warranty issues and so on ... Sure some things are, but they are rare. In addition, unless you are dealing with Amazon.com or a few other places you will have to pay HST and a handling charge for collecting the HST. Depending on what the item is there might also be duty charged.

I am not telling people not to order online from the US. I have been doing it for ages. It's just not the paradise some think it is. Try ordering a Roku Bluetooth remote and see what you end up paying.

Philip
You mention an exception not the norm. I'd be willing to wager that 7/10 times it's cheaper to order from the US even after S/H is calculated. Like you I have also been doing this for a long time. Unless you are ordering something out of the ordinary or a huge TV, more often then not it is cheaper to order from Amazon.com. Would I prefer to spend my hard earned money in country?... sure, you bet. But the sad reality is, for whatever reason these companies try and claim, it's almost always cheaper to order from the States.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20306 posts
1692 upvotes
t6lock wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 11:39 pm
should add in your topic "Boxing Day in USA is a joke"
And also "Boxing Day in Canada" is a joke ;)

C'mon now BD deals are pretty crap in Canada too. Depends on what kind of products we're talking about but really it's nothing great.

And the retailers have extended it to Boxing Week since years ago, fully of mediocre deals for the week. Pretty much the idea is just to make up any stupid names for sales just to get people to oooh and ahhh over nothing special at all.

Yes there will be doorcrashers, yes it will be better than BF in Canada, but really it's all just a scam to draw ppl in. I dunno, maybe I've just never been the one to line up in the cold for some large screen TV that has a good $/inch ratio but that's a make/model that nobody wants anyway and just want it 'cause it's cheap, and other such similar things people go for on Boxing Day?

I don't think I've bought anything major on Boxing Day/Week for the 4-5 years. Maybe something here or there at NCIX, but going out and lining up or waiting to pull the trigger sitting on the website? Ehhh, nothing worth it really. I don't expect any better this year either--it went downhill a long time ago IMO.
Jul 26, 2007
579 posts
49 upvotes
These types of threads have become increasingly frequent.

I'd like to hear from former retail buyers about whether or not economies of scale are a hindrance to lower prices in Canada. In the meantime, we are stuck will a bunch of outsiders who are spouting off about how retailers in Canada are screwing the Average Joe just because they can. It's a convenient narrative of course and makes consumers feel good about their decisions to buy goods from the US. Moreover, people who rant about higher prices on RFD and other sites somehow believe that retailers are reading their rants and that they will change their pricing policies to appease them.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1113 posts
267 upvotes
92gsr wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 6:07 pm
It's a convenient narrative of course and makes consumers feel good about their decisions to buy goods from the US.
Doubtful. I don't need any reason or anything to be said to feel good about my purchases. It's my money, I earn it, and will spend it where I can stretch it the furthest. You sound like a bitter business owner, or friend/relative of, who no longer reaps the benefits of high markups. LOL
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
2026 posts
174 upvotes
willdacanucker wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 1:36 pm
:rolleyes: :facepalm: Typical mantra from sheep Canadians trying to justify the trade-offs living up here over the USA.
We don't need justification wanting to live here over the US. Sorry, but US isn't the best and not everyone wants to live there, regardless of how much their retail stores want to charge for products.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3442 posts
202 upvotes
Markham
BigJonsson wrote:
they have healthcare now too :) .
Jul 26, 2007
579 posts
49 upvotes
I'm not a business owner at all - far from it. And I buy things from the States all of the time.

On the other hand, I'm not naive enough to believe that retailers in Canada face the same circumstances that retailers do in the US. They don't have the same buying power, the same operating costs, and so on that retailers do in the US.

The ignorance is strong on RFD and that's why I ranted against the ranters.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1113 posts
267 upvotes
If you don't like what is being discussed why bother entering the discussion? You've added nothing of value.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13121 posts
2913 upvotes
This reminds me of something in Kelly's Heroes where Crapgame (Don Rickles) tells Big Joe (Telly Savalas) to do a deal with the German tank commander to get the gold. The PM should tell the Chinese that we want the same deal the US is getting on these products or we go peddle our resources elsewhere...

Problem is we (the consumer) never seem to find out what the trade officials have up their sleeve as everything is done behind closed doors...
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28487 posts
837 upvotes
Fernando Po
Turning out to be much worse than I thought it would be.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2763 posts
172 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 9:47 pm
they have healthcare now too :) .
If you leave boxing day, black friday, and sales tax out of the picture the US is still cheaper for many goods.

In regards to healthcare, it is at the federal level (Canada is at the provincial) and is going to kill them financially (unless they increase taxes) in the long run to sustain it.
× < >