• Nov 27th, 2012 5:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24044 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
Tigerdirect deals were the best, mainly because their prices are (almost) always the same between the US/Canada websites and stores.
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts
pmcd wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 2:46 am
30 million people spread out over a large space versus 300 million. It's not too hard to figure out why shipping and other costs might be higher. For the most part the cost of living in Canada is comparable to the US, perhaps slightly lower. Black Friday was never a big deal here. Thanksgiving in Canada has nowhere near the importance that it has in the US.There are advantages to living in either country. My vote remains here and that will never change. Those who want inexpensive speakers can always move south.

Philip
I don't buy that line at all. This weekend, while visiting my cousin, I bought jumper cables from Walmart. Walmart Canada: $36 with tax. Walmart USA: $16. And since it was New Hampshire, there was no tax. My brother and I spent $1600 (to be fair, over a third of that was for others). I am fairly sure the stuff we bought, would retail in Canada for nearly $3000.

I can get that Canada has higher taxes, higher minimum wage and benefits standard, and poorer economies of scale. But double the price? That's BS.

This is like the cellphone companies arguing that Canada costs more to service while they rake in the highest ARPU in the world. Canadians are getting hosed because most of us are timind enough to buy that line.

You want to know why prices are cheaper in the USA? Simple statistic to look up: retail square footage per capita. It should explain the massive difference in prices. There simply isn't enough competition here. And pliant Canadians actually try and defend the status quo.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2698 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
MikeAK wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 12:52 am
If you don't like what is being discussed why bother entering the discussion? You've added nothing of value.
So, a discussion to you is just a conversation involving people with the same opinion?

There's probably some kernel of truth in the price gouging argument, but for the most part, lack of economies of scale, higher minimum wage and other benefits take a huge bite out of Canadian retailers margins. Obviously it's tempting to shop south of the border, but I'm certainly not one to complain about Canadian pricing. Our pricing is a lot better than most comparable countries, and just because we have a dysfunctional country to the south that happens to be cheaper than us doesn't mean they are a model we should follow.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1181 posts
237 upvotes
Barrie
Fantaz wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 8:21 am
Tigerdirect deals were the best, mainly because their prices are (almost) always the same between the US/Canada websites and stores.
I actually didn't notice anything that caught my eye on TD. I got all my stuff from ncix/me. My ncix order from CM just shipped too :D

SSDs seemed to be what a lot of people were looking for and both sites seemed to have fairly similar deals (a lot with the intels I thought). I just needed a small capacity one for a boot drive and got one from ME for $40.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1031 posts
63 upvotes
Quebec
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 3:07 pm
So, a discussion to you is just a conversation involving people with the same opinion?

There's probably some kernel of truth in the price gouging argument, but for the most part, lack of economies of scale, higher minimum wage and other benefits take a huge bite out of Canadian retailers margins. Obviously it's tempting to shop south of the border, but I'm certainly not one to complain about Canadian pricing. Our pricing is a lot better than most comparable countries, and just because we have a dysfunctional country to the south that happens to be cheaper than us doesn't mean they are a model we should follow.
Canada has been gouged for a long time, when our dollar was only worth 60 + cents everyone said that was the reason, now our dollar has been at or near par for years and we are still getting hosed. When more competetion moves here from the US such as Target that is when you will see better pricing, also the tax rates here are BS as you have to work half the year just to pay the tax man. If you did'nt need a passport to shop in the US I'm sure that more Canadians would shop there, especially with our dollar being so strong now. It will be interesting to see how Target affects the pricing here.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2012
3479 posts
610 upvotes
Nova Scotia
BlackFriday for Canada wasn't so bad, picked up a few gifts and saved about $20-40 on them, most of them were better quality than similar products "on sale"*cough* for more before.

Mostly i'm just glad to see it making it's way to us a lot more than usual, it gives me hope for a better BF next year. I absolutely hate Boxing Day (sales after xmas are pointless for me) so any BF sales are a good thing imo.
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts
martianmarvin wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 4:02 pm
Canada has been gouged for a long time, when our dollar was only worth 60 + cents everyone said that was the reason, now our dollar has been at or near par for years and we are still getting hosed. When more competetion moves here from the US such as Target that is when you will see better pricing, also the tax rates here are BS as you have to work half the year just to pay the tax man. If you did'nt need a passport to shop in the US I'm sure that more Canadians would shop there, especially with our dollar being so strong now. It will be interesting to see how Target affects the pricing here.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Those US based retailers hose Canadians too. And its easy to catch them in the act. Just compare the websites. Target will be no different on the gouging than Gap or Best Buy.
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts
Little Tim wrote:

Our pricing is only better than those other countries because we are beside the USA. It's the threat of Canadians doing all but groceries in the USA that is keeping Canadian retailers from being even marginally competitive. The reality is that there is not enough competition in Canada. Here we have 13 square feet of retail space per capita. They have 46. That should tell you why their market is more competitive.

Yes, there are issues with economies of scale, higher minimum wages, etc. But they don't come close to justifying the prices we see. And there are retailers who seem to get around it. Apple charges $20 more on a $500 iPad. That's 4%. Golf Town charges 50% more in Canada on the exact same set of golf clubs. And that's before sales taxes kick in. Somehow I don't think the duties, higher min. wage, etc. can explain why a set costing $300 in the USA is $450 here. It's gouging. Plain and simple.
Dec 25, 2008
9 posts
12 upvotes
Nanaimo
jetz wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 7:33 pm
Our pricing is only better than those other countries because we are beside the USA. It's the threat of Canadians doing all but groceries in the USA that is keeping Canadian retailers from being even marginally competitive. The reality is that there is not enough competition in Canada. Here we have 13 square feet of retail space per capita. They have 46. That should tell you why their market is more competitive.

Yes, there are issues with economies of scale, higher minimum wages, etc. But they don't come close to justifying the prices we see. And there are retailers who seem to get around it. Apple charges $20 more on a $500 iPad. That's 4%. Golf Town charges 50% more in Canada on the exact same set of golf clubs. And that's before sales taxes kick in. Somehow I don't think the duties, higher min. wage, etc. can explain why a set costing $300 in the USA is $450 here. It's gouging. Plain and simple.
Golf Town in Canada is nothing but a joke. Their BF sale was a joke and Their Cyber Monday sale was the biggest joke of any retailer in Canada . I buy all my clubs from the states. Even with shipping and taxes I still pay way, way less.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1113 posts
267 upvotes
Little Tim wrote:

Who said anything about following their model? You need to give your head a shake and start reading what people are writing instead of making assumptions or drawing your own conclusions. The discussion was about how Canadian retailers continue to throw the same rhetoric at consumers about high wages, duties and what ever else they can come up with to justify their high markups. Nobody wants to live by the US model. We do however want honest retailers and not a bunch of lies about false expenses. By the way, I saved over $250 ordering from Amazon.com this weekend and that was after S/H and duties. Love living in Canada with my laptop!
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4218 upvotes
I spent the majority of my BF weekend returning stuff I bought from Canadian retailers and spending it online buying from the US.
Deal Fanatic
May 3, 2009
5998 posts
707 upvotes
There are some great mirrorless sytems deals so not really complaining...and ipad 4th at 419 is a really great deal that people down south couldn't get.

Depends on what you're eyeing on...
Oct 10, 2008
885 posts
76 upvotes
Burlington
Abel4Life wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 8:14 am
If you leave boxing day, black friday, and sales tax out of the picture the US is still cheaper for many goods.

In regards to healthcare, it is at the federal level (Canada is at the provincial) and is going to kill them financially (unless they increase taxes) in the long run to sustain it.
Also, if I recall correctly, the 'obama-care' process is to have mandatory health care. If your work does not provide it, then you will get some basic version of health care. if your work does provide health care, then you don't get the federal health care (A or B). In Ontario you get OHIP, then your work health plan goes on top of this (A + B).
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2493 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
black friday here was a joke..
I was amazed at the courage and boldness of Canadian retailers to actually call these crappy deals as black friday deals.
May 19, 2007
35 posts
9 upvotes
Alberta
Pretty disappointed this year! The only Cyber Monday deal I actually wanted and stayed up for...I was met with this. See screen shot! :( Online...In stock...ships next day...19 available.....Can't click ADD TO CART!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2h3dhf9.png
× < >