Site Comments & Suggestions

Black Friday Forum: Ready to crack her open?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2019 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11514 posts
11787 upvotes

Black Friday Forum: Ready to crack her open?

Are we thinking it's time to open up the Black Friday forum this year?

Looks like early flyers and Black Friday deals are being released by some vendors.
17 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12216 posts
22680 upvotes
Scarborough
Currently it's looking like next Monday. There's virtually no Canadian Black Friday content out yet.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13254 posts
2618 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
American Black Friday content is slowly trickling out and it's being posted in Hot Deals.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9071 posts
5367 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Another year and Black Friday is back. Can we move all the USA related Black Friday deals to a separate sub-forum of Hot Deals?

For the majority of Canadians and RFD members, these deals don't apply as they don't ship to Canada.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Sep 3, 2018
69 posts
36 upvotes
just a heads-up, Amazon.ca has some early Black Friday deals up.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12216 posts
22680 upvotes
Scarborough
chimaican wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 9:18 am
Another year and Black Friday is back. Can we move all the USA related Black Friday deals to a separate sub-forum of Hot Deals?

For the majority of Canadians and RFD members, these deals don't apply as they don't ship to Canada.
US Black Friday content is actually what makes us putting the forum up early worthwhile. Canadian retailers are often pretty late to the game and most major retailers here don't have their flyers up until a week or so before the big day.

Even if you don't shop the US deals, it's great to see what items we might look forward to seeing here, and a significant percentage of the popular does live close to the border.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2648 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I'd prefer we keep black friday deals in the hot deals forum - it just splits everything otherwise and we all have to look in two places, get duplicated threads, etc.

No argument that USA deals should be in a separate forum
Feb 4, 2007
451 posts
260 upvotes
PLEASE keep all USA black friday deals elsewhere...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9071 posts
5367 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Mysticode wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 4:04 pm
That's my argument. I want the Canadian BF stuff in Hot Deals but US content (unless they ship to Canada) should be kept in a sub-forum. Don't understand why it should muddy up the Hot Deals forum. Only advantage are for those who pretty much live in border towns and travel to the US side frequently.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
as long as US deals are clearly marked I have no problem having them with the rest … but US sub-forum also ok …
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12216 posts
22680 upvotes
Scarborough
AstonM wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 3:51 pm
Personally I'd prefer we keep black friday deals in the hot deals forum - it just splits everything otherwise and we all have to look in two places, get duplicated threads, etc.
This is how I want it to be, but due to time restraints with the sites development, we weren't able to implement a system that makes it possible in time. The new system involves the creation of additional filters (e.g: "Black Friday" or "US Deals") and personalization options to customize your views.

The staff will be doing our best continuing to operate as we have in previous years to keep specific Black Friday (and Boxing Day) content contained within their individual forums and reduce duplicated content. I'm confident that this will be the last year we have to split things up.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2648 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 1:02 pm
This is how I want it to be, but due to time restraints with the sites development, we weren't able to implement a system that makes it possible in time. The new system involves the creation of additional filters (e.g: "Black Friday" or "US Deals") and personalization options to customize your views.

The staff will be doing our best continuing to operate as we have in previous years to keep specific Black Friday (and Boxing Day) content contained within their individual forums and reduce duplicated content. I'm confident that this will be the last year we have to split things up.
Thanks @TomRFD that is great to hear. Look forward to it being implemented! Same concept for boxing day where we can keep them in one place? Cause that would also be great! Also looking forward to the price being in title :)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12216 posts
22680 upvotes
Scarborough
AstonM wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 1:06 pm
Thanks @TomRFD that is great to hear. Look forward to it being implemented! Same concept for boxing day where we can keep them in one place? Cause that would also be great! Also looking forward to the price being in title :)
Once the system is built it can be applied to any shopping event (Prime Day, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day, etc.). I want to keep deals, regardless of what they are or what event they're tied to, in Hot Deals. That's where people know to go for deals so I want to stop the separation.

Price/Savings/Discount being in the title is also another ticket I have open but it'll have to wait until after because what I mentioned above is my #1 priority for 2020.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2648 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 1:12 pm
Once the system is built it can be applied to any shopping event (Prime Day, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day, etc.). I want to keep deals, regardless of what they are or what event they're tied to, in Hot Deals. That's where people know to go for deals so I want to stop the separation.

Price/Savings/Discount being in the title is also another ticket I have open but it'll have to wait until after because what I mentioned above is my #1 priority for 2020.
Awesome, thanks for listening to the community.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6820 posts
1669 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Mysticode wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 4:04 pm
I agree.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God