• Nov 3rd, 2011 11:40 am
Tags:
None
Apr 19, 2010
105 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal

Black Friday at Plattsburgh

Some friends and I planned to go to Plattsburgh for the Black Friday event. Most of us have school on that day, so we'll probably get there around 6pm. Question is, should we bother going there that late? Will there be any deals left?

I've read on duty for cross-border purchases and legal matters, but since it is our first time, I was wondering if there are other things we ought to know. What kind of deal can we expect (Is it comparable to our boxing day?)

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
6pm? Don't bother. Sales start in the wee hrs of the morning, with some malls at midnight and the big box retailers between 3 and 6am.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
Echoing what CSK'SMOM said. Big ticket items like TVs and other electronics go on sale at 5 AM and are only available in limited quantities.

You'll probably still get a crack at discounted movies, clothing, etc. Deals are comparable or better than Boxing Day if you don't factor in duties.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Add another 2 retailers to the midnight opening list per my BF website email blast today... Macy's and Target! :-0 :eek:
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
CSK'sMom wrote: Add another 2 retailers to the midnight opening list per my BF website email blast today... Macy's and Target! :-0 :eek:

IIRC, Target in Plattsburgh opened at midnight last year (like Walmart) but big ticket items only went on sale at 5 AM.
Apr 19, 2010
105 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
But if we're only shopping for clothes, shoes, books and small electronics there shouldn't be any problems right?

I also hope Asus transformer 2 goes on sale!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
holygift wrote: But if we're only shopping for clothes, shoes, books and small electronics there shouldn't be any problems right?

I also hope Asus transformer 2 goes on sale!

You still have to worry about duties (not to mention time & gas) which could negate any savings.
Oct 21, 2011
61 posts
5 upvotes
Burlington
CSK'sMom wrote: Add another 2 retailers to the midnight opening list per my BF website email blast today... Macy's and Target! :-0 :eek:
What BF website are you using? Care to share :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
PiastPL wrote: What BF website are you using? Care to share :)

My fav of the many I have bookmarked is www.bfads.net They tend to be the most accurate IMO and the forums are great. They even have a forum for BF fanatics to connect by geographical area. The leaks should start coming this week if history repeats itself. ;)
Oct 21, 2011
61 posts
5 upvotes
Burlington
CSK'sMom wrote: My fav of the many I have bookmarked is www.bfads.net They tend to be the most accurate IMO and the forums are great. They even have a forum for BF fanatics to connect by geographical area. The leaks should start coming this week if history repeats itself. ;)
Looks great CSK'sMom! Thank you :)

I'm hoping to nab a nice long peat overcoat this year from one of the stores in the Fashion Outlet mall. Fingers crossed!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
I mean, there's always tons of stuff cheaper in plattsburgh - for sure you'll find some great deals

But it's black friday, you're going to be a target for border taxation. Avoid buying shoes at all costs (target for extremely high duties). Be prepared to pay 15% + 9% on TV's that are made in Japan (some are made in mexico, but rare)

Granted, if you run into traffic on your way back you'll may get waived in if you each buy for less than 100$....

I'm just speculating.

It's really not worth it for stuff like phones,tablets, computers which are generally close to Canadian pricing.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Jun 29, 2008
361 posts
23 upvotes
could you go the following day OP?

i used to live on a border town and i notice many stores do "2 day sales". i've gone on both black friday and the following day (which i'm doing this year) and if you're not in the market for big ticket items, you would be ok.

i'm planning on being at the border for about 7am on the saturday and making my rounds then. i can't get to the US on friday so i'll try and hit the so called "bf sales" that catch my eye here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Starting this weekend many retailers have huge sales that lead up to BF. Usually Walmart has one that is actually better than BF for video games. This year Target is upping the ante' and entering into the game. Sunday for example, at Target a 32" LCD HDTV and a 11.6" Acer notebook can be had for $197 each. ;) And now all the toy catalogs are out for the big US retailers as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)