• Nov 24th, 2010 1:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4783 posts
709 upvotes

[Best Buy] Black Friday in Plattsburgh?

My girlfriend and I are heading down to the US for our first Black Friday. We plan to leave Montreal late Thursday or early Friday, stop in Plattsburgh to hit some big box stores and then continue on to NYC for the weekend.

What is Black Friday like in Plattsburgh? Is there an area with a cluster of big box stores (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc)? Any idea what kind of wait times to expect at Lacolle around 1 or 2 AM?

Thanks!
9 replies
Dec 1, 2005
332 posts
2 upvotes
As soon as you get off the highway - the first parking lot to your right will be Lowes and Kmart and I think there is a Bed, Bath and Beyond there too. Restaurants - Friendlies and Applebees
When you get out of that parking lot - and go straight through the lights (sorry, I have no idea what the street names are, once you see it, my directions will make perfect sence) and drive maybe 1 minute - there is a mall. http://www.champlaincentres.com/ This will have Target, JC Penny, Sears, Best Buy, Foot locker and lady foot locker, Kay Jewlers and others that I can not think of right now.
To find Walmart - It is in the next big parking lot from where KMart is. In here, there is Walmart - TJMaxx - Michaels, Petsmart
Have fun!
Once youve see that - thats pretty much the "shopping" areas of Plattsburgh unless I am completly missing something
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4783 posts
709 upvotes
Thanks, GaspeLisa!! That helps a lot.

Anyone know if I'd be better off going to Albany instead of Plattsburgh?
Mar 2, 2010
124 posts
11 upvotes
depends on what you are looking for? there is an outlet mall on route to Albany, it isn't that big, but it might be worth checking out if you are looking for clothes. http://www.factoryoutletsoflakegeorge.com/ (70 stores). The site says their sale starts at Midnight on Friday, so all the real deals might be gone by the time you make it out there.

There is also a bigger outlet mall on route to NYC http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 with 220 stores. It also has sale that starts Friday at midnight. It will probably be crazy busy. The same company has another outlet store near albany but a little bit out of the way in Massachusetts, http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=81 (60 stores). You would get there earlier, and it would probably be less chaotic than the New York one, but has fewer stores than both the Lake George and NYC city ones.

Otherwise, if you are just looking for electronics and household goods you probably only need to hit Best Buy/Walmart/Sears/JC Penny to score deals, which all seem to be in Plattsburgh, and the earlier you are the better deals you will most likely find, so I would try to get to Plattsburgh pretty early, and then hit the outlets on the way to NYC, as they may be more hit and miss.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4783 posts
709 upvotes
neil9412 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2010 5:11 pm
depends on what you are looking for? there is an outlet mall on route to Albany, it isn't that big, but it might be worth checking out if you are looking for clothes. http://www.factoryoutletsoflakegeorge.com/ (70 stores). The site says their sale starts at Midnight on Friday, so all the real deals might be gone by the time you make it out there.

There is also a bigger outlet mall on route to NYC http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 with 220 stores. It also has sale that starts Friday at midnight. It will probably be crazy busy. The same company has another outlet store near albany but a little bit out of the way in Massachusetts, http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=81 (60 stores). You would get there earlier, and it would probably be less chaotic than the New York one, but has fewer stores than both the Lake George and NYC city ones.

Otherwise, if you are just looking for electronics and household goods you probably only need to hit Best Buy/Walmart/Sears/JC Penny to score deals, which all seem to be in Plattsburgh, and the earlier you are the better deals you will most likely find, so I would try to get to Plattsburgh pretty early, and then hit the outlets on the way to NYC, as they may be more hit and miss.

Wow... With so many outlets, it amazes me that people still pay retail! This is great information as my girlfriend will definitely want to hit some clothing stores. I'm more interested in the electronics and household goods, though :)
Dec 26, 2009
22 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga/Brampton
I went to college in Plattsburgh and spent more than 4 years there, graduating this May. Black Friday there is pretty crazy as Plattsburgh is the first stop when you enter US and the last before leaving the country. In addition, its the centre of the county and people from surrounding areas make the trip to the city. Basically, it's still long,long lines. I only participated once, with my ex a few years ago and we got there at 5am and the lines were already big, but not insane. That was at the Champlain Mall but around 8am we made our way to Wal Mart and it was just packed. It's a 24/7 Wal Mart location though and all the stores are in a centralized location so that's a plus. Good luck with you bargain hunting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4783 posts
709 upvotes
misiek87 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2010 7:25 pm
I went to college in Plattsburgh and spent more than 4 years there, graduating this May. Black Friday there is pretty crazy as Plattsburgh is the first stop when you enter US and the last before leaving the country. In addition, its the centre of the county and people from surrounding areas make the trip to the city. Basically, it's still long,long lines. I only participated once, with my ex a few years ago and we got there at 5am and the lines were already big, but not insane. That was at the Champlain Mall but around 8am we made our way to Wal Mart and it was just packed. It's a 24/7 Wal Mart location though and all the stores are in a centralized location so that's a plus. Good luck with you bargain hunting.

Yeah, I suspected it might be packed due to its proximity to the border. Maybe we'll shop in Albany instead.

If the Walmart is 24/7, do the Black Friday deals start at midnight instead of 4/5 AM?
Sep 8, 2006
15 posts
1 upvote
psyko514 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2010 7:42 pm
Yeah, I suspected it might be packed due to its proximity to the border. Maybe we'll shop in Albany instead.

If the Walmart is 24/7, do the Black Friday deals start at midnight instead of 4/5 AM?
It depends on what you're looking for. In general, the major electronics deals will start at 4 AM while everything else is supposed to start at 12:01 AM. If you want details, do a search on equivalent US deal sites for the flyer.
Jul 24, 2009
27 posts
5 upvotes
I would stop in Albany instead. Much more shopping options than Plattsburgh (Crossgate mall for example) and you have a Cheesecake factory restaurant :) .

Also Woodbury outlets (about 1h30 maybe more) south Albany.

If you like Macy's claim you international card for an additional 10% discount.
Aug 30, 2004
94 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
I've been doing black friday in plattsburgh for about 7 years and I prefer plattsburgh to albany because all the stores are within 5 minutes of each other. The only stores you need to hit are Bestbuy, Sears and Target and they are all in the same mall. Walmart is a 2 min drive. Your better to go to the same mall then run around (alot of cops out that night) and look for parking everywhere. Also, plattsburgh is smaller and 90% of people don't even know what they are waiting in line for. 2 years ago I stood in the best buy line in front of someone that was there for a $20 mp3. He waited 5 hours for it. Walmart is crazy at 4:30 am only, people show up at the last minute there. But I think all walmarts are crazy on that day anyway. Have fun!
× < >