Off Topic

Black Lives Matter Vancouver asks that cops be removed from the 2017 Vancouver Gay Pride Parade

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2017 7:35 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2608 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
torontocityboy wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:38 am
What does it matter if there are 2 or 20,000 colored people in Vancouver. They still have every right to start a BLM movement. Didnt know you needed a certain amount of people to start a group protest.
BLM or any other group is free to protest all they want, but they're not allowed to commit crimes while doing so.
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:47 pm
BLM or any other group is free to protest all they want, but they're not allowed to commit crimes while doing so.
What crimes did they commit? As far as im concerned they should be even more aggressive and violent than everyone claims them to be. They deserve it. After years of slavery, its owed.
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
I find that non colored ppl think its ok for colored people to be slaved, raped and tortured etc. Cops using excessive force and even killing blacks in the US when it isnt justified, and when BLM is created or colored speak out, everyone wants tell them to shut it and suck it up. Lol.

Ummm no.....complain and cry all you want. It aint happening.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13907 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
torontocityboy wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:41 pm
I find that non colored ppl think its ok for colored people to be slaved, raped and tortured etc. Cops using excessive force and even killing blacks in the US when it isnt justified, and when BLM is created or colored speak out, everyone wants tell them to shut it and suck it up. Lol.

You realize a whole lot of RFD is 'coloured' too, right?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:31 pm
You realize a whole lot of RFD is 'coloured' too, right?
I dont know....doesnt seem like it sometimes.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27686 posts
3824 upvotes
Ottawa
torontocityboy wrote:

Fact is that black people are the #1 killers of black people. BLM jumped on a situation and now blame everyone except their own community for the killings. Cannot speak to the rapes or tortures but I suspect that in todays society, it is once again the black community doing harm to itself.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9774 posts
785 upvotes
torontocityboy wrote:

what the hell is "colored" people??

also study about the history of slavery please
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3700 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
torontocityboy wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:38 am

What does it matter if there are 2 or 20,000 colored people in Vancouver. They still have every right to start a BLM movement. Didnt know you needed a certain amount of people to start a group protest.
What I need to know is are black people in Vancouver that make up like 1% of the population there being harassed and mistreated by police? If not then why do they need a BLM there other than wanting to get on the attention whoring train and wanting their own 15 mins of fame? If they need to find something outside of Vancouver and that police force to protest and get angry over, then they're 100% attention whores who want to say and do what they like with little to no repercussion under the name of 'fighting for justice' even if they're doing anything but that.

torontocityboy wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:36 pm
What crimes did they commit? As far as im concerned they should be even more aggressive and violent than everyone claims them to be. They deserve it. After years of slavery, its owed.
This is the stupid thing that I don't get. Since when did Canada have slavery considering slavery was abolished from the British colonies some 30 YEARS BEFORE Canada became a nation? And also do people really not remember that Canada was a safe haven for tens of thousands escape slaves from the US? So I don't get why anyone would talk about anything to do with slavery when we're talking about Canada. Seriously some people need to stop blaming everyone for their troubles and start taking responsibility as to why their communities are so screwed up.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
Down south they're protesting actual murders, here they're protesting getting pulled over by police and carded in shady areas. lol

As for the slavery angle, this isnt the States.

You'll have a bad time complaining to Middle Eastern people about slavery, especially since they still practice it under modern forms. Asians are an even funnier group to approach about that, and good luck with being "owed" anything by your run of the mill white Canadians :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... -in-Canada

Europeans I can't even get into because it makes the above a mild example. Good luck with the victim angle while you're talking to Russians or Germans. Or no...approach the Irish and tell them black people were the only slaves in North America. They'll love you!

If you have major existential issues by being black in Canada, I cannot tell you where else to go to live a better life. An example, if you can think of any, would be great. I dont know of any countries that are simply better.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1562 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:47 pm
y
Question is why are black so important? Come to Brampton, you'll see Indians majority here but we don't feel like we need to protests? Why?

Is black becoming privillaged race these days?
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
indca wrote:
May 21st, 2017 8:29 am
Question is why are black so important? Come to Brampton, you'll see Indians majority here but we don't feel like we need to protests? Why?

Is black becoming privillaged race these days?
Maybe because indians are more timid and weak. As a whole, indians are scared to speak up. Indians have been getting bashed for as long as I can think of. Being called smelly, hairy, pakis (no disrespect). Whites, and other cultures are quick to call you a paki if you piss them off or if they dont like or understand you. Indians just take it.
Not to mention there is a huge difference in history between indian slaves and black slaves, and there is still a huge difference in how indians and blacks are treated in our time now. Thats why.
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
May 21st, 2017 2:07 am
What I need to know is are black people in Vancouver that make up like 1% of the population there being harassed and mistreated by police? If not then why do they need a BLM there other than wanting to get on the attention whoring train and wanting their own 15 mins of fame? If they need to find something outside of Vancouver and that police force to protest and get angry over, then they're 100% attention whores who want to say and do what they like with little to no repercussion under the name of 'fighting for justice' even if they're doing anything but that.

What are you talking about?? You act as if only BLM vancouver does this. How many times have we seen middle eastern protests downtown toronto, or many other places for that matter, because of what is happening in their home country? So the middle eastern people here are attention whores? Thats what you would call them? Why the trump protests in toronto, or anywhere else in Canada?

Its called awareness and support for what you believe in and whats right. You cant knock blacks for protesting and starting a movement in Canada just because its not as bad as the states. It CAN possibly get that way here. How do you know it wont? There is already racial discrimination in our country, but I guess you want blacks to wait until theyre getting shot, or heavily harrassed by police daily before saying anything. And when they do say or do anything about it, youd probably still tell them to stfu and suck it up.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1562 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
torontocityboy wrote:
May 21st, 2017 9:00 am
Maybe because indians are more timid and weak. As a whole, indians are scared to speak up. Indians have been getting bashed for as long as I can think of. Being called smelly, hairy, pakis (no disrespect). Whites, and other cultures are quick to call you a paki if you piss them off or if they dont like or understand you. Indians just take it.
Not to mention there is a huge difference in history between indian slaves and black slaves, and there is still a huge difference in how indians and blacks are treated in our time now. Thats why.
The thing is tables are turning these days as Indians are buying houses by big numbers and creating a big footprint in Brampton; So, other communities are becoming a bit envious of the situation...
With time perception of community and respect change and we have to move with time and not live in the past, I know whites have had it easy in terms of Job prospects and easier transition into moderate lifestyle, yet with change in economic dynamics and more South Asian footprint it gets easier being South Indian.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4559 posts
113 upvotes
London
Interview with Pride Organizer about Police Marching
Burgess said that they have tried numerous times to arrange meetings with BLM but have been unable to schedule anything so far. However, BLM Vancouver will have four members attend the VPS board meeting on February 21....
"Our approach this year compared to maybe other Prides was that we want to draw people in and have a conversation about how to change things within their organizations as well as addressing parts of the community we've missed in the past," Burgess said. "So we're really about drawing the Vancouver Police Department and RCMP into conversation and dialogue and change systems from within rather than banning them from our events."

Interview with BLM Vancouver
"If those relationships are strong with the community members who think that they are, then having the police not march in the parade wouldn't affect that, first of all," she said. "Secondly…just because some members of the queer community feel comfortable doesn't mean everybody does and so those of us who do belong to that community and others and occupy intersectional spaces, that isn't comfortable for us yet...."Black Lives Matter and Pride or queer issues are not separate things," she stated. "Some of the comments and messages we've been receiving are…that the Pride parade is not the venue for these issues, that the Pride parade is a celebration and these issues that Black Lives Matter have are not related and that is completely not the point. The point is that they are the same thing. If queer people do not feel like Pride is theirs or that they can be there or participate and those people are black people, then this is a Black Lives Matter issue."

Regarding criticism of BLM Vancouver, Barreto said that provides justification as to why there needs to be more discussion about inclusion and what the city can do about inclusion, anti-oppression, and anti-racism.

"To be completely honest, it proves our point," she said. "The amount of hateful, racist backlash that we're receiving from within and external to the queer community just proves why Black Lives Matter needs to exist in Vancouver."
The issue I have with BLM is that they position themselves to appear to speak on behalf of all black people. She appears to be saying that BLM is relevant in Pride because Pride has black people in it.

I would like to see what BLM's response is to those within the Pride community who favor inclusivity (including VPS) as a way forward, because I find BLM a bit hypocritical. Insofar BLM is a movement to advocate against exclusion/discrimination of black people, she makes the claim that including VPS is antithecal to Pride's position of inclusivity since BLM would feel excluded. But in other words this sounds like BLM saying, "we only feel included if VPS is excluded."

I mean, not everything is because of race. That last sentence I quoted sounds like her using any resistance against BLM as race driven. So if PETA gets rejected from Pride, it's because Pride are animal abusers? Or if the Jewish rights community are rejected then they're anti-semitic, or if Christian groups are rejected then they're anti-Christian...?

I think BLM is similar to some of what I've labeled to be "selfish advocates" like some (not all) feminism movements. In advocating for their rights they've lost sight of the bigger picture of the need for equality or inclusivity. They're essentially adopting an agenda of, "our needs are most important because we've been persecuted for so long," to the point it may be at the expense of other groups. There's an inherent hypocrisy in there, and I think it waters down their message. Being an ethnic minority I've also experienced occasional persecution and discrimination. But I want inclusion and acknowledgement that's based on equality, rather than compensation.

I think the BLM is more symbolic of a generation and race that's frustrated, angry, and fearful of the violent persecution that they've received, and that this is their opinion to lash out. But it needs to be formalised and directed...because otherwise I think it ends up hurting their own core message.