• Jun 22nd, 2018 4:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
7379 posts
2568 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 8:22 pm
I am a strong supporter for BlackBerry, but I always hated their hardware because of the weak processors. If they used a decent processor, I would still be using my Classic. But the hardware runs to slow too be of any practical use for me. That is without any apps running
Well the Classic had a processor from 2012 sold in 2015, and being a diehard BlackBerry fan you know exactly the reason...

And I'm not defending them selling a 660 for that much really, this thing is overpriced. But it's certainly not the midrange processors of the past like you said that it's 1 year and dead.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
May 28, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
Under $500 would be appropriate for this phone. You can get a 660 phone for about $400, $100 for the keyboard and BB software is already a good premium.
Aug 14, 2011
265 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
Help me to understand why this phone needs a top tier processor? The android OS on these phones is stripped down and very efficient why does it need a 800 series processor?
May 28, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
SAVINGSTAR wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 1:51 am
Help me to understand why this phone needs a top tier processor? The android OS on these phones is stripped down and very efficient why does it need a 800 series processor?
Because it is going to have a top-tier price.
Jan 13, 2014
797 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
JohnD86741 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 4:53 am
Because it is going to have a top-tier price.
Outside of camera processing, I'm not so sure people are really going to be able to tell a big difference between the Snapdragon 660 and a Snapdragon 845 unless the two devices were side by side. The 660 is similar to the 820/821 SoCs from a few years ago. Gaming wise, maybe - but this isn't meant as a gaming phone. Benchmarks will show the difference, but for those that are likely to be doing the tasks where a physical keyboard is most effective, I don't think they'd notice.

Either way, this isn't a phone aimed at the mass market like the Samsungs and Apples. It's targeted towards a niche audience and TCL knows that. Sure, it would be nice if it was cheaper, but the Bold, Torch, Z-series phones were never the best value phones. BlackBerry tried going with a higher end chipset with the PRIV and it really didn't work out for the better. Considering the limited size constraints, I'm not sure cramming a Snapdragon 845 would help with thermal management or battery life.
Last edited by Devhux on Jun 9th, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 24, 2018
87 posts
25 upvotes
srry to say but the key2 is basically the key1 with a new crummy name. another crappy phone just like the crapphy iphone
Jun 2, 2017
128 posts
19 upvotes
JohnD86741 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:14 pm
Under $500 would be appropriate for this phone. You can get a 660 phone for about $400, $100 for the keyboard and BB software is already a good premium.
Agreed. It should at max not exceed the One plus 6's lowest 699 priced model.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
7379 posts
2568 upvotes
Markham
Devhux wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 5:03 am
Outside of camera processing,
Which is actually one of the excuses the CrackBerry fanboys are using to defend the high price. They'll say it's because of the "S9 Sensor".
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
May 28, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
Devhux wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 5:03 am
Outside of camera processing, I'm not so sure people are really going to be able to tell a big difference between the Snapdragon 660 and a Snapdragon 845 unless the two devices were side by side. The 660 is similar to the 820/821 SoCs from a few years ago. Gaming wise, maybe - but this isn't meant as a gaming phone. Benchmarks will show the difference, but for those that are likely to be doing the tasks where a physical keyboard is most effective, I don't think they'd notice.

Either way, this isn't a phone aimed at the mass market like the Samsungs and Apples. It's targeted towards a niche audience and TCL knows that. Sure, it would be nice if it was cheaper, but the Bold, Torch, Z-series phones were never the best value phones. BlackBerry tried going with a higher end chipset with the PRIV and it really didn't work out for the better. Considering the limited size constraints, I'm not sure cramming a Snapdragon 845 would help with thermal management or battery life.

Well, by the time we see this on the streets other snapdragon 660 phones will likely be around $350. I suspect Blackberry chose that pricing because otherwise the price on the KeyOne would be forced down. New iPhones are likely to be announced in september, and it sounds like the selling proposition for those will be a lower price so I can't imagine blackberry will be asking such a price for long after that.
Dec 12, 2012
260 posts
434 upvotes
Hey folks I can't be the only one reminiscing of my BB BOLD keyboard. With large amount of praise original BB Keyone received and with Key2 about to launch, early reviews give it a go.

Are you in the market?

Quitter
Nov 22, 2012
127 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
YEP! I'm definitely in.

I know i'm the exception, but i miss typing on a physical keyboard. I could never get the hang of a virtual one, and i make so many mistakes, it makes me not want to type. It's definitely more expensive than i was hoping for, but i'll wait it out a little bit and hope for a sale somewhere. I was strongly considering the KeyOne when i bought my OnePlus 5, but it seemed to fall a little short. The Key2 by all accounts have resolved many of the issues the KeyOne had.

I won't be 'in line' for one, but i'll find a way to get one eventually.
Dec 20, 2015
862 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's too bulky for a phone in 2018. This would probably only for peeps who are business minded, but not in the real world. Where size and dimension matter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5240 posts
1782 upvotes
Canada
Overpriced by a factor of 2.
They also need to jump on Android One
Koodo customer
Tangerine customer
Aug 14, 2011
265 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
I think I am in....I wanted to get the KeyOne because my business kicked me off the BES last year but it didn't come out in time. I ended up getting an IPhone and it sucks for business. It isn't smart at all and of course the typing.

I don't care how much it costs, I spent $1,100 on my IPhone and it's basically useless so I think I'm getting it if my carrier will get it.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1387 posts
980 upvotes
Richmond
For this processor, it is really, really overpriced.

If they would use at least an 8xx processor this would be acceptable. Even an 820 would have been okay, but 6xx series? Come on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)