Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13037 posts
1051 upvotes
Toronto
icemasta wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 1:17 am
Prob. microHDMI like the Playbook.
Interesting, but I can't really see that being used all that often.
desidealer49 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 11:10 am
Positives:

- Gorgeous virtual keyboard.
- Finally an OEM that has not abolished media playback keys on the outside of the phone.
- Nice UI, smooth, based on QNX which is used in critical real time process design so a good thing.
- RIM finally seems to be getting it, slower, but getting it somewhat.
- Gestures!! (love those on playbook)

Negatives:

- Not as "sexy" in the eyes of the iOS/android crowd and hence will face a uphill battle like WP8 no matter how many positive things are present in it. Apparently choice ends after the magic number 2.
WP8 is suffering from Microsoft trying to be Apple and failing at it. I'd be hesitant to make the switch over to that since their WP7 hardware (which hasn't been on the market that long) isn't upgradeable to WP8. If they're willing to screw customers with that kind of upgrade policy, what kind of interaction can you expect from them overall?
Blackberry is proven, and has fans that have jumped ship to Android and iOS. If they'd released this phone a year earlier I, for one, would never have switched to Android. They've now got a long, hard fight ahead of them to win back their old customers as well as attracting new ones.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1714 posts
76 upvotes
Barrie
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 11:28 am
Interesting, but I can't really see that being used all that often.

WP8 is suffering from Microsoft trying to be Apple and failing at it. I'd be hesitant to make the switch over to that since their WP7 hardware (which hasn't been on the market that long) isn't upgradeable to WP8. If they're willing to screw customers with that kind of upgrade policy, what kind of interaction can you expect from them overall?
Blackberry is proven, and has fans that have jumped ship to Android and iOS. If they'd released this phone a year earlier I, for one, would never have switched to Android. They've now got a long, hard fight ahead of them to win back their old customers as well as attracting new ones.
Same here, I wouldn't have switched either.

Looks ok, and I hope it does really well, even though I'm not sure at this point if I would go back.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1932 posts
134 upvotes
Mississauga
yup...that is the big question...will you buy it?
like what if this phone is like a playbook that is sooooo expensive at launch...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6097 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I hate that they put the usb port in the middle of the left hand side of the device. While the device is charging, it will be difficult to use with the wire in the way. They had this issue on previous blackberry's before, and then would later correct it on a subsequent design. The 9900 has the port at the top left of the device, clear of your hands.

Why they couldn't keep it consistent going forward is beyond me....but overall am looking forward to the phone.

One thing I've found with blackberries, is they always run fast at the beginning, and then over time as yoru emails, messages build up, etc. they start to lag like crazy. Hope thats not the case with this.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 11:28 am

WP8 is suffering from Microsoft trying to be Apple and failing at it.
They are trying to be a bit better. I just think the iOS/android mindshare isn't interested and is pushing all their relatives/friends/acquaintances to their respective camps. Hence no real hope for WP8 unless people break out of their camps.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Aug 23, 2007
338 posts
74 upvotes
Can't wait to get this phone. As for the post about the L-series being a horrible name, it is just an internal name, we'll get the official name on Jan 30th.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4094 posts
182 upvotes
Markham
If the camera can be somewhat similar to the quality the One X or iPhone 5/4s can provide, I'll be picking one up.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1831 posts
153 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
They have finally learned not to put the headphone jack on the sides of the phone. You can never put the phone in your pocket while listening to music
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15525 posts
615 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The videos are looking good. Hopefully it wont be too late for RIM.

The browser better be top notch as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4094 posts
182 upvotes
Markham
I hope this phone will be compatible on Wind as well. Would be very surprised otherwise. :D
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15433 posts
809 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm not going to lie, it looks impressive that I may buy it. I always said, their PlayBook IMO is the Best Tablet out there and if they bring the features like Swipe Down I will be very happy.

Pricing is the key though, I think they practically need to give it away when signing a contract.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1831 posts
153 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
^ this

but i dont think they will. Nokia is trying to get back into the US market using this strategy with their lumia line.

+ they have a pretty good amount of loyal users that are willing to pay full price.
× < >