Entertainment

Blade Runner 2049 / sequel (starting page 2)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2018 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7980 posts
901 upvotes
Victoria
It feels to me that the only real things driving the box office now are Superhero movies (mostly marvel and some DC) and Star Wars. Disney kind of owns the box office. Sequels to movies that aren't sourced on Comics or Star Wars seems to have mixed results at the box office.

It makes you wonder what will happen to the box office when Comic Book movies have run their course.

I think I'm going to go see Blade Runner tomorrow... but only because a friend wanted to go.... I was probably going to hold out for watching it at home. I like the 1st one, but I never saw it until it was already pretty old. I'm not quite as nostalgic for it as other people.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2754 posts
82 upvotes
watched blade runner. absolutely loved it. wish there was more on the universe and offworld stuff.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2222 posts
397 upvotes
Winnipeg
zod wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 3:16 pm
It feels to me that the only real things driving the box office now are Superhero movies (mostly marvel and some DC) and Star Wars. Disney kind of owns the box office. Sequels to movies that aren't sourced on Comics or Star Wars seems to have mixed results at the box office.

It makes you wonder what will happen to the box office when Comic Book movies have run their course.

I think I'm going to go see Blade Runner tomorrow... but only because a friend wanted to go.... I was probably going to hold out for watching it at home. I like the 1st one, but I never saw it until it was already pretty old. I'm not quite as nostalgic for it as other people.
I think this movie will recover in terms of box office collections by word of mouth .
I have booked IMAX tickets for Friday and I see the people are still watching it but then this is just 2nd week
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9647 posts
2077 upvotes
Toronto
Box office notwithstanding, I must say it's been quite a streak for prestigious sci fi in the fall YMMV

2013 Gravity
2014 Interstellar
2015 The Martian
2016 The Arrival
2017 Blade Runner 2017
Jun 14, 2017
418 posts
333 upvotes
I watched the movie in IMAX the other day and I didn't like it. The whole film was too mono tone and dragged. Love the Cuban model that played Joi tho. HAWT HAWT HAWT!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1310 posts
165 upvotes
Winnipeg
A must watch...
You can't beat this level.of cinematography.
Don't listen to "too long " or " too slow" sort of folks , they can only like and appreciate wonder woman or lala land kind of movies.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8527 posts
776 upvotes
Saw it last night, eh. Something that felt unnecessary and felt long. Was interesting but don't see why people love it.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10674 posts
614 upvotes
Scarborough
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:14 am
Saw it last night, eh. Something that felt unnecessary and felt long. Was interesting but don't see why people love it.
I won tickets to watch it and am expecting the same thing. The first one was really slow and long as well. I have to use those tickets so I am dreading the almost 3 hour runtime.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1528 posts
378 upvotes
I've seen it twice already and because I'm a loyal fan of the original, I really loved it and thought Denis Villeneuve truly delivered for this sequel. It's unfortunate it is not playing in IMAX any longer. Can't wait to see it on the giant IMAX screen at the Cinesphere in due time.

I have a bunch Cineplex movie codes (from buying General Mills cereal boxes) that I have to use up before November is over, so I'm definitely seeing it one more time for sure.
Jun 5, 2017
531 posts
52 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:14 am
i loved the fact it was almost 3 hours long, makes for great storytelling.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1528 posts
378 upvotes
On New Year's Day, I rang it in with a proper laser IMAX screening at the re-opened Cinesphere. It was my 4th screening of this new masterpiece on the big screen, but only twice in laser IMAX. My friend and I both agreed that the presentation of this movie was even superior to our laser IMAX screening at the Scotiabank Theatre downtown. The two laser IMAX theatres' picture quality were on par with each other. However, my God the sound at the Cinesphere was louder, cleaner and even more crisp than at the Scotiabank. Overall, the acoustics was just better in every way at the Cinesphere. We came to the conclusion it was louder and even clearer at the Cinesphere because this IMAX theatre was designed specifically for these types of movies. Scotiabank's IMAX theatre is still amazing, but you have to remember it is still in a multiplex. They simply cannot crank up the volume because they have other auditoriums and have to respect the sound levels for each room. Cinesphere is just one giant IMAX theatre and its they only auditorium in the complex so turning up the volume is never an issue.

Blade Runner 2049 fans, I highly encourage you to see it at the Cinesphere one more time (second run movie) before it's too late and becomes only available on blu-ray and DVD etc.

Unless the Cinesphere adds more screenings the website says it is only playing until January 7th. Hurry, trust me on this one! LOL

http://ontarioplace.com/en/cinesphere/
Jun 5, 2017
531 posts
52 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:50 am
On New Year's Day, I rang it in with a proper laser IMAX screening at the re-opened Cinesphere. It was my 4th screening of this new masterpiece on the big screen, but only twice in laser IMAX. My friend and I both agreed that the presentation of this movie was even superior to our laser IMAX screening at the Scotiabank Theatre downtown. The two laser IMAX theatres' picture quality were on par with each other. However, my God the sound at the Cinesphere was louder, cleaner and even more crisp than at the Scotiabank. Overall, the acoustics was just better in every way at the Cinesphere. We came to the conclusion it was louder and even clearer at the Cinesphere because this IMAX theatre was designed specifically for these types of movies. Scotiabank's IMAX theatre is still amazing, but you have to remember it is still in a multiplex. They simply cannot crank up the volume because they have other auditoriums and have to respect the sound levels for each room. Cinesphere is just one giant IMAX theatre and its they only auditorium in the complex so turning up the volume is never an issue.

Blade Runner 2049 fans, I highly encourage you to see it at the Cinesphere one more time (second run movie) before it's too late and becomes only available on blu-ray and DVD etc.

Unless the Cinesphere adds more screenings the website says it is only playing until January 7th. Hurry, trust me on this one! LOL

http://ontarioplace.com/en/cinesphere/
do you have any photos of inside the cinesphere at all?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1528 posts
378 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:24 pm
do you have any photos of inside the cinesphere at all?
These are the photos from the website, click under "About Cinesphere" and you'll get plenty more info about the place. Man, you are guys really are RFD super cheapskates afraid to plunk $15 bucks for the venue! LOL

Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10674 posts
614 upvotes
Scarborough
Lol.

Rfd ain't cheap. Blade Runner 2049 isn't worth $15.