Food & Drink

Blairs Death Rain potato chips... XXX HOT.. Where have they been spotted?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2017 6:05 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10919 posts
1473 upvotes
Toronto
willyxjai wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 11:38 pm
I got the friendly reminder email from them as well after inquiring about the chips, they mentioned chips can only be purchased online for canadians :(
This means that a smart entrepreneur (ma and pa shop?) will mass order online and charge customers $6 a bag...assuming that a large bulk purchase can be done for less.
Feb 3, 2017
1 posts
3 upvotes
Fellow spicy chip fanatics. I have found the problem solver to the disappearance of my fav chips ever to grace this earth-blairs.
I've been searching for blairs death rain for a good year or two with very little luck around the Ottawa area. Apparently they stopped supplying them to retailers in Canada for some reason and the shipping is a rip off not to mention they've been out of stock on their website for quite a while.
I was in bulkbarn yesterday and look to see like I always do hoping just by chance that maybe they were back. Nope.. but.. atlas! Someone has taken their place. I present Rebel chips! I was skeptical thinking no way they would be as good as blairs but I grab a few bags. I get home and crack open a bag of their "habanero bbq" annnddd yesssssss! They are pretty much identical to blairs habanero. I also grabbed a bag of their "chipotle hot wings" and they are pretty much identical to blairs "buffalo wings". Even the bags are similar.
My search is over, my spicy snack void is fulfilled once again.
There was a big rack of them at the bulk barn I was at in pembroke, hoping they are also stocked in the Ottawa locations.

Now get out there and get them my fellow chip fanatics.
Images
  • IMG_1660.JPG
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3746 posts
501 upvotes
Regina
looks like am hitting up Bulk Barn today
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2551 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Saw them sitting on the shelf as I was picking up my jalapeno nuts and other snacks for work with the monthly bulk barn coupon, didn't even think twice of picking them up.....
Aug 26, 2007
256 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks so much for the suggestion! My bf was in love with those Blair chips and was sad when he couldn't find them anymore. I picked up both bags you recommended and he liked them, obviously he likes Blair's better but these Rebel chips are comparable.

For those who wanted to know, I picked up the chips downtown Toronto near Bloor St W and Bathurst St.
Tilted wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 12:43 pm
Fellow spicy chip fanatics. I have found the problem solver to the disappearance of my fav chips ever to grace this earth-blairs.
I've been searching for blairs death rain for a good year or two with very little luck around the Ottawa area. Apparently they stopped supplying them to retailers in Canada for some reason and the shipping is a rip off not to mention they've been out of stock on their website for quite a while.
I was in bulkbarn yesterday and look to see like I always do hoping just by chance that maybe they were back. Nope.. but.. atlas! Someone has taken their place. I present Rebel chips! I was skeptical thinking no way they would be as good as blairs but I grab a few bags. I get home and crack open a bag of their "habanero bbq" annnddd yesssssss! They are pretty much identical to blairs habanero. I also grabbed a bag of their "chipotle hot wings" and they are pretty much identical to blairs "buffalo wings". Even the bags are similar.
My search is over, my spicy snack void is fulfilled once again.
There was a big rack of them at the bulk barn I was at in pembroke, hoping they are also stocked in the Ottawa locations.

Now get out there and get them my fellow chip fanatics.
Jun 1, 2008
162 posts
92 upvotes
London
Awesome!! Thank you! I hope I find them comparable!
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3746 posts
501 upvotes
Regina
they are comparable for sure, a smaller chip, but they pack a kick, it has been a while since i have had much spice so was tearing up after 15
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10919 posts
1473 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if Japan's hot chips will find their way here.
You have to add the powder yourself though...
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14439 posts
17929 upvotes
ONTARIO
Bulk Barn had the Rebel habanero chips on sale so I tried them recently for the first time. They definitely pack a kick, but I found in terms of flavour they were kind of lacking.
My favourite Blair's chips were the buffalo wing though, so maybe I should have tried the Rebel chipotle version instead.
Dec 18, 2007
994 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is bulk Barn the other only place that sells Rebel Chips?
Sep 25, 2014
7 posts
4 upvotes
Vimont, QC
Hey Chilliheads! Just came across this post thanks to someone looking for Aubrey D. Rebel Chips and mentioning the thread. In full disclosure, I am half of the design and marketing team that does contract work for Gourmet Chips and Sauces, the manufacturer of Aubrey D. Rebel Chips.

Thanks to everyone sharing their comments about Aubrey D. Rebel Chips (and @Tilted for sharing your find). Your feedback means a lot to us. Gourmet Chips & Sauces have tried really hard to make a product that is as good if not better than what we used to have.

So you all know, although the chips are similar in texture, we worked hard to develop flavours unique to us in heat and taste (my tongue suffered extensively during this period). Blair's has a great product, however it became impossible for GCS to get inventory to sell in Canada and we were forced to make the choice to develop our own chips. Anyone who works in procurement for retail will understand what happens when you can't fill orders (we were being delisted everywhere... plus the chargebacks... not a good place). We are working hard to get our chips into the same places as before.

There are three flavours (I only saw two mentioned):

Habanero BBQ - Meant to be the hottest. Period. (loosely inspired by our Aubrey D. Rebel Habanero Hot Sauce).
Chipotle Wing - Smokey hot wing flavour. I think the wing flavour is quite nice... not overpowering, with a pretty decent heat level (inspired by our Aubrey D. Rebel Chipotle Hot Sauce)
Jalapeno White Cheddar - Subtle aged cheddar flavour with the soft kick of Jalapeño (inspired by our Aubrey D. Rebel Jalapeño Hot Sauce)

@AsianXL There are other places selling them. Let me know where you are and I will find out for you

@BobSagget The Buffalo Wing were delicious! I think our Chipotle Wing has a pretty good chicken flavour with more heat. The Habanero BBQ are XXX Hot! Much hotter than the Chipotle Wing.

@hordosr As far as I know, the chips should be the same size. We didn't select smaller potatoes, could just be what came in from the farms :) But I'll make inquiries.
Dec 18, 2007
994 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
corin1 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:56 am
Hey Chilliheads! Just came across this post thanks to someone looking for Aubrey D. Rebel Chips and mentioning the thread. In full disclosure, I am half of the design and marketing team that does contract work for Gourmet Chips and Sauces, the manufacturer of Aubrey D. Rebel Chips.

Thanks to everyone sharing their comments about Aubrey D. Rebel Chips (and @Tilted for sharing your find). Your feedback means a lot to us. Gourmet Chips & Sauces have tried really hard to make a product that is as good if not better than what we used to have.

So you all know, although the chips are similar in texture, we worked hard to develop flavours unique to us in heat and taste (my tongue suffered extensively during this period). Blair's has a great product, however it became impossible for GCS to get inventory to sell in Canada and we were forced to make the choice to develop our own chips. Anyone who works in procurement for retail will understand what happens when you can't fill orders (we were being delisted everywhere... plus the chargebacks... not a good place). We are working hard to get our chips into the same places as before.

There are three flavours (I only saw two mentioned):

Habanero BBQ - Meant to be the hottest. Period. (loosely inspired by our Aubrey D. Rebel Habanero Hot Sauce).
Chipotle Wing - Smokey hot wing flavour. I think the wing flavour is quite nice... not overpowering, with a pretty decent heat level (inspired by our Aubrey D. Rebel Chipotle Hot Sauce)
Jalapeno White Cheddar - Subtle aged cheddar flavour with the soft kick of Jalapeño (inspired by our Aubrey D. Rebel Jalapeño Hot Sauce)

@AsianXL There are other places selling them. Let me know where you are and I will find out for you

@BobSagget The Buffalo Wing were delicious! I think our Chipotle Wing has a pretty good chicken flavour with more heat. The Habanero BBQ are XXX Hot! Much hotter than the Chipotle Wing.

@hordosr As far as I know, the chips should be the same size. We didn't select smaller potatoes, could just be what came in from the farms :) But I'll make inquiries.
I am in Vancouver. Thanks!
Sep 25, 2014
7 posts
4 upvotes
Vimont, QC
@AsianXL and @trellaine201 I have been told that you should be able to find the chips in Vancouver at Lowe's (which also has a limited run everyday type hot sauce we did for Canada's 150th at $1.50), Shell, as well as at Bulk Barn as previously mentioned. They are also arriving at Winks this month.
Dec 18, 2007
994 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
corin1 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 3:04 pm
@AsianXL and @trellaine201 I have been told that you should be able to find the chips in Vancouver at Lowe's (which also has a limited run everyday type hot sauce we did for Canada's 150th at $1.50), Shell, as well as at Bulk Barn as previously mentioned. They are also arriving at Winks this month.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, aside from Shell gas stations, none of the mentioned retailers are conveniently located in the city of Vancouver. They are all in suburbs.