• Oct 7th, 2016 5:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 3, 2008
180 posts
4 upvotes

Blazers for men

Hi guys,

While looking for blazers I came across Zara other similar brands(where prices are usually around 200), i need them for work and outings every now and then. I have a few questions.

1 ) are they suitable to wear with jeans at an office job? Or are dress pants a must?
2) can the sleeve be shortened for the blazers which have buttons around the wrist area ?
3) can the length of the blazer be altered? Where should the length go or how long should they go till?
3) is there other places I should check for them ? Or any tips in general .

Any advice appreciated.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4696 posts
738 upvotes
1. Blazer with jean is fine but since it's work check with your manager.
2. Sure unless it has surgeon cuffs.
3. Nope, can't touch the length.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
RMRS has multiple videos on YT that answers your questions.

Length of jacket should be left alone. With your arms relaxed by your side, they should reach the point between the base of your thumb and index finger.

Zara, H&M, Banana, Uniqlo would affordable options. But Suit Supply, Spier & Mackay are highly recommended.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2133 posts
340 upvotes
1. sure, depends on your office. I often wear a sports coat, with a t shirt and jeans to work.

2. yes. depending on the jacket, it could cost you.

3. no.

3B. at that price point, you don't really have much room to work with, so stick with those that you're already checking out.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2910 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
I find unstructure blazers / sport jackets more casual for jeans especially for a tshirt.
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
7034 posts
1227 upvotes
I guess the OP is not too knowledgeable about a man's most essential essential piece in his wardrobe ...the navy blazer !
Stick with traditional single breasted, single vent cut and all wool construction.
The navy blue/gold button blazer can be worn with just about anything from jeans to, khakis, chinos to dress slacks.
Jackets comes in tall, regular and short so there is no need to alter the length, maybe just shorten a bit on the sleeves.
When a restaurant has a sign that says "Jackets Required" this is the piece of clothing they mean !
I always have two navy blue blazer at any one time, one at home and one in the car they are like my closest traveling companions !

Watch the film Scent of a Woman ...I absolutely adore this film so many GQish habits that come second nature to the gentleman and officers especially ones that enjoy dining out in Manhattan in a Towncar, dam there is even a "Jacket Required" scene, a cigar scene, a moral scene ...omg so parallel to my universe !

[OP]
Feb 3, 2008
180 posts
4 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 12:37 pm
I guess the OP is not too knowledgeable about a man's most essential essential piece in his wardrobe ...the navy blazer !
Stick with traditional single breasted, single vent cut and all wool construction.
The navy blue/gold button blazer can be worn with just about anything from jeans to, khakis, chinos to dress slacks.
Jackets comes in tall, regular and short so there is no need to alter the length, maybe just shorten a bit on the sleeves.
When a restaurant has a sign that says "Jackets Required" this is the piece of clothing they mean !
I always have two navy blue blazer at any one time, one at home and one in the car they are like my closest traveling companions !

Watch the film Scent of a Woman ...I absolutely adore this film so many GQish habits that come second nature to the gentleman and officers especially ones that enjoy dining out in Manhattan in a Towncar, dam there is even a "Jacket Required" scene, a cigar scene, a moral scene ...omg so parallel to my universe !

Where do you get your blazers ? Hooah!!!
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
7034 posts
1227 upvotes
wonka1234 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 10:59 pm
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 12:37 pm

Where do you get your blazers ? Hooah!!!
I am a Brooks Brothers kind of guy so naturally at 845 Madison Ave., NY, NY !
You're lucky, I believe there is two BB stores in the GTA and none here in Montreal :(

Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4696 posts
738 upvotes
^After BB literally f***ed up my $2500 MTM 3-piece suit... I got my deposit refunded and I'm no longer a loyal BB fan.
Jun 6, 2007
133 posts
3 upvotes
If you are looking for stylish with decent quality, go with Ted Baker... when on sale, of course!
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
7034 posts
1227 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 5:39 pm
^After BB literally f***ed up my $2500 MTM 3-piece suit... I got my deposit refunded and I'm no longer a loyal BB fan.
Their NYC store or GTA store ?
You got your deposit refunded what more do you want ?
BB is now owned by Italians, no longer real quintessential American
Used to be a real treat visiting BB at their Madison Ave store, the second I enter I would be great with a personal assistant presenting their business card and dragging along a mobile coat rack as I shop. They no longer offer this service anymore. After that I would head down to Alfred Dunhill's for a good cigar and mingle with NYC in crowd, so that scene in Scent of Woman where young Charlie is told go fetch some cigars is so relevant to my footsteps ...LoL
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4696 posts
738 upvotes
What more do I want? I want my time back that they've wasted.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12143 posts
1812 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Scent of a Woman as an exemplar of GQ style? LMAO
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2910 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I agree lot of time wasted due to the multiple fittings. Don't suppose they offered to remake the suit for you at a discount.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4696 posts
738 upvotes
Irbe wrote:
Oct 6th, 2016 5:54 pm
Yeah I agree lot of time wasted due to the multiple fittings. Don't suppose they offered to remake the suit for you at a discount.
The SA told me he was going to investigate the matter, as expected I did not hear back on what happened.

I went back to BB recently to get to alteration done to my jackets as I have gained weight. But I have noticed they have jacked the prices up once again. Now I'd spend more time shopping around instead of just buying items from them.