Blizzak WS90 or X-Ice Xi3?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 6:45 pm
Tags:
Apr 9, 2019
183 posts
101 upvotes

Blizzak WS90 or X-Ice Xi3?

I am on the fence and I don't know which one to go with. If it matters, I drive a regular-sized sedan mostly in-city and occasionally (every other month) on the highway. My daily commute is an hour-long in total.
9 replies
Jul 20, 2009
136 posts
73 upvotes
Get the Blizzak WS90. It's the newest (technology wise) of the two tires. The XIce3 was originally released back in Fall of 2012.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10329 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Normally suggest Blizzak however as drive mostly city suggest Michelin.

Longer lasting tread and since mostly city you are driving on plowed roads and not snow packed or heavy snow.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1676 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
The Blizzak WS90 just came out this year so no one knows exactly how they will perform.

The Blizzak WS80's are usually recommended for lower mileage deep snow driving where the XIce3 are for higher mileage driving in lighter snow. Both are top tier tires so usually just go with whatever is on sale.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2804 posts
2251 upvotes
GTA
xi_32 wrote: Get the Blizzak WS90. It's the newest (technology wise) of the two tires. The XIce3 was originally released back in Fall of 2012.
I'm surprised. Based on your username I would think you'd go for the Xi_3 Face With Tears Of Joy
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
xi_32 wrote: Get the Blizzak WS90. It's the newest (technology wise) of the two tires. The XIce3 was originally released back in Fall of 2012.
In a counter defense, Michelin was established in 1889 while Bridgestone was established in 1931. We can say that Michelin has an extra 42 years of knowledge and experience that they're confident enough that it doesn't need an upgrade (yet). The WS90 was released because there were many complaints that the WS80 has high treadwear, hence why the biggest new feature for the WS90 was that it lasts "an extra season" (even this is subjective). There aren't many complaints for the Xi3 to "fix" and it continues to be, if not one of the best selling winter tire. My point is just because the release date is old, doesn't mean that it's bad/behind. Surely Michelin is to be doing something right to sell that many tires for a tire design that's more than 7 years old.

*Corrected info
Last edited by EnyCe on Nov 4th, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2009
335 posts
68 upvotes
ON
EnyCe wrote: Bridgestone was established in 1993.
I'm curious to see what source you got that from!

If we want to count years in service, are we counting Bridgestone's and Firestone's separately prior to the merger? Does size of R&D department matter, or age only? There are a lot of questions that arise from the reasoning you are using.

None of this matters (even if Bridgestone was established in 1993) because older does not automatically mean better.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Lakers24 wrote: I'm curious to see what source you got that from!

If we want to count years in service, are we counting Bridgestone's and Firestone's separately prior to the merger? Does size of R&D department matter, or age only? There are a lot of questions that arise from the reasoning you are using.

None of this matters (even if Bridgestone was established in 1993) because older does not automatically mean better.
Woops my mistake! They were established in 1931, they introducted their line of winter tires in 1993! https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=116
What I meant was actually the opppsite, newer doesn't always mean better.
May 29, 2009
335 posts
68 upvotes
ON
EnyCe wrote: Woops my mistake! They were established in 1931, they introducted their line of winter tires in 1993! https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=116
What I meant was actually the opppsite, newer doesn't always mean better.
Ahh, that explains the date discrepancy. It might be interesting to find out when Michelin got into winters, or say, if Firestone has been in winters longer than Bridgestone, that experience was likely applied to bridgestone when they got into winters after the merger, but I guess all that is of limited relevance.

I understand your point was that newer is not better (and I agree) but I just felt you had shifted a bit too much in the other extreme and got caught up in the age of the company. I feel that is a bit limited in the context it provides, especially once you factor in volume and type of tires they are selling etc.

I guess my point is, some unknown company could be established tomorrow that uses some brand new technology that makes the best tires we've ever seen. It's certainly unlikely, but if it were to happen, it ends up not really mattering if the tire beside it at the store is from a 150 year old company.

My thought is that both the XIce3 and the WS80s are well respected winter tires (and thus great options). I do expect the ws90s to be an upgrade, because generally speaking, winter tires have improved (imo) but I guess we will see how that theory holds up once we get some reviews in the next few yrs.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10329 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Unless snow and ice has improved... a proven good tire from few years back [in terms of design] will be ok :)
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.