• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2005 10:50 am
Tags:
None
Apr 14, 2004
997 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
If there are check engine lights or other warnings going off, anybody should be able to diagnose it. It's just a matter of pugging in an OBD II scanner, pull the codes, and look up their meaning. Any shop that does car service should have a scanner.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
seftonm wrote:If there are check engine lights or other warnings going off, anybody should be able to diagnose it. It's just a matter of pugging in an OBD II scanner, pull the codes, and look up their meaning. Any shop that does car service should have a scanner.
Is Midas reliable for this? I need quality work done, but don't want to pay prices as high as Honda would charge me.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
get a cold cranking battery thoses are stronger batteries.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2004
1040 posts
tigger03 wrote:Is Midas reliable for this? I need quality work done, but don't want to pay prices as high as Honda would charge me.

some older cars ( GM's ) you can geta wire and put in in the terminal by grounding one of the pins and then you count the flashes on the dash, i do miss my old car...
it was so easy to pull the codes.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
tigger03 wrote:Is Midas reliable for this? I need quality work done, but don't want to pay prices as high as Honda would charge me.
STAY AWAY FROM MIDAS

go to a local mecahnic if you want a good one pm me
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
tigger03 wrote:I'm just looking for one when winter starts. The problem: when I turn the key in the ignition, the car tries to start, and at this point, I've got to give it some gas to get it fully started. I don't think it's a battery problem .. just something else.
If you have to give it gas to get it started, your problem is that you have a carburated engine. Nothing else, just a carburated engine. Done. Solved.

Any carburated engine that sits in anything below 12 degrees for a night will be difficult to start.

If it's not carburated, then stepping on the gas while starting won't do a thing. You just think it does. Other than that, have your fuel lines checked for blocked areas. Maybe a better fuel pump with a m ore thoughrough priming unit. Or maybe you just live in Nunavut.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
GangStarr wrote:STAY AWAY FROM MIDAS

go to a local mecahnic if you want a good one pm me
Other than the insane labour prices, I've only had good experiences with Midas.
Dec 9, 2004
452 posts
Ottawa
I'll have to second the cautionary note on Midas. They will try to persuade you to buy a new battery, possibly a new alternator, and who knows what else.
I had a problem similar to this and they wanted to change all those. I got a battery charge from them and said no thanks.
Went to my regular mechanic, he tightened the battery post connectors and off I went.