• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2009 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
CorSter wrote: Blockbuster Canada makes money largely because there is no true Netflix style competition here - services like Zip just haven't taken off to the same extent.
They won't till they improve either. I personally haven't had any of the Zip nightmares some people post about (a lot on this forum), and the service has been decent for me. But I really only rent older, hard to find movies. Getting new releases is not a quick process, and that is what most people want.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
tdu wrote: They won't till they improve either. I personally haven't had any of the Zip nightmares some people post about (a lot on this forum), and the service has been decent for me. But I really only rent older, hard to find movies. Getting new releases is not a quick process, and that is what most people want.
+1 I actually let my sub run out when my CC expired because I thought it'd be a good chance to drop it without having to deal with any of the cancellation overcharges that I've read about.

And I was actually generally fine with the service and I may join their competition cinemail.ca who doesn't have the CS problems - but still has the new release problem.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The market is changing. The video rental industry will be dead by 2010

Netflix will take off. You can't beat a flat rate of $20 per month for unlimited rentals.

Rogers will weather the storm. They are converting their stores to Rogers Cellular and cable depots. Just waiting for their lease to expire.

With these prospects, who would want to buy BlockBuster? It is a goose egg.
Nov 27, 2005
41 posts
Toronto
zoro69 wrote:
With favorites at 1.99, does that mean I can use my monthly $2 reward coupons and get 1 free?

Wonder what the late fee is now that they got everyone used to there being no rush. Oh its on their site 1.99 Per night. Ouch, be sure you can get it back.

Of course, since I have to rush it back, I might as well go to get anything mainstream out of the machine at loblaws for half as much
So after my trip there last night, here's what I found out...

for reg DVD, 2 Nights is 3.99 Blu Ray $4.99 if you're movie is out longer than that it's $1.99 per day

7 nights has no additional charges, but it's $5.99 DVD and $6.99 BR

Favourites are $1.99 for 2 nights or $3.99 for 7 days... If you choose the 2 nights and you don't bring it back after 2 nights it's $0.99 a day...

Just read the DVD kiosk bit, is that the states or Canada?
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
kk33 wrote: So after my trip there last night, here's what I found out...

for reg DVD, 2 Nights is 3.99 Blu Ray $4.99 if you're movie is out longer than that it's $1.99 per day

7 nights has no additional charges, but it's $5.99 DVD and $6.99 BR

Favourites are $1.99 for 2 nights or $3.99 for 7 days... If you choose the 2 nights and you don't bring it back after 2 nights it's $0.99 a day...

Just read the DVD kiosk bit, is that the states or Canada?
They have one of these at my local Zehr's store. I live in a fairly small town too, so I would have to guess that there are a lot more of them around.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
who the hell rents dvds anyways now lol ...guess they don't know wot BT is haha anyways....i hope blockduster folds and clears out the video games for cheap
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11976 posts
3168 upvotes
Edmonton
$5 for 2 nights with a blu ray is better, but still hiway robbery considering the pathetic selection they keep.

I work for NCR, the company that just bought Moviecube, and the Blockbuster rollout is going to be big. Very big.

I'd bank on 3 or 4 blockbuster outlets remaining in major centers, just one in small towns. Automated dispensing machines are the way of the future...